MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 30-12-10, 06:55

Default Ex RAAF? 1960 International "Airconditioning" Truck

G'day everyone,

over the Christmas break I was given the vague directions to a "ex-army Ford Compressor Truck" that was on a block somewhere inland of my place.

I was able to track it down, and after negotiating my way past an over-friendly calf called 'T-Bone', I was able to check out this mechanical beast and get some pics.

It turned out to be a 1960 International Harvester truck fitted with an original V8 engine and 3 speed gearbox. It was painted khaki, and most suprisingly it was Left Hand Drive - I have never seen one of these trucks that wasn't RHD before (see pics)

The body is a rounded box made of square steel tubing and skinned with sheet metal. It appeared to be very well made. All over the body were black stencils - some were warnings - in three places "Warning-Rotating Condensor Blade" with an arrow pointing to the roof, and others described contents of lockers - "Blower Drive Belts", "Ducting Outlet Cool Air", and "Access Filter". There is now no machinery inside the body.

On the dash was a schematic of how to operate the airconditioning - only in top gear (see pic). Also there was a small tag that stated it was "Serviced By 2SD GEMS" with a job number and date. I have checked this out and 2SD GEMS stands for 2 Stores Depot - General Engineering Maitenance Squadron: this was a RAAF depot (now defunct) situated in Villawood in Sydney, NSW (about 4500kms from its resting place). This is the only reason I think it is ex-RAAF, rather than ex-army. Until I deciphered this label I thought it might have come from the U.S. run Pine Gap facility near Alice Springs, but I don't think so now (we have a lot of LHD cars in the NT that have originated from this base).

Well, that is about all I can tell you. What can you tell me?
I am guessing that it was some sort of mobile airconditioning plant for non-running aircraft on hardstands, or for mobile offices??

Please tell me more about this truck.

Jared
Attached Thumbnails
Dec 2010 Images 401_1.jpg   Dec 2010 Images 400_1.jpg   Dec 2010 Images 403_1.jpg   Dec 2010 Images 405_1.jpg   Dec 2010 Images 406_1.jpg  

Old 30-12-10, 07:09
Graeme Jamieson

Default re Ex RAAF? 1960 International "Airconditioning" Truck

Hi Jared,
We haunted the Dept of Supply auctions at Tottenham Victoria during the late 60s early 70s. There was ex army and RAAF Inters by the thousand lined up in those years.
During all that time I never saw a left hand drive one but a couple with similar bodies although their usage was not obvious.
Graeme
Old 30-12-10, 07:43

During my term in the Airforce !957 till 1972, particulary if the vehicle was to be mainly driven on base we were never concerned if it was RHD or not.

It made sense to keep the costs down for the Australian agent to source product where it was cheapest.

Regards

Col
Old 30-12-10, 15:15

Default Inter truck

It is possible that this truck has an aux transmission much like a transfer case where the drive can be transferred in 3 speeds to the rear axle or transferred to some other device ie, air con compressor and by being in 3rd gear the driven unit would be running at engine speed .
This is similar to a winch on a C or F60L Blitz.
The v8 engine is not a normal fitment for this size truck so it would have been sourced to drive the aux device.

Is it true that some aircraft with sensitive equipment on board required airconditioning whilst on the ground in higher temperature countries, Vulcan bombers come to mind.

Regards
Jim S.
Old 31-12-10, 00:42
Rick Cove

Neat unit Jared, Are you going to grab it? It would sure make an interesting vehicle in any collection.
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 31-12-10, 10:32

Default Inter

Inter esting that the dual rim is on the front and single rim on rear.