MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 22-02-22, 07:21

Default Canadian Lynx Armored Car

Just thought I might start a new thread of some Random Canadian Lynx restoration work that is going on. There are a small few of us around the World restoring some of these unique vehicles that saw combat in Europe during the War. I know Peter D. has already restored his vehicle and has shown us that through the tread he has provided us with on this Forum. I will probably show some of the more detailed mechanical parts in maybe a bit more in depth look at how parts were made, (It's Called "Train Spotting") and maybe show some of the differences between the MK1 and MK2 as a reference , will just see how it goes and maybe after a year or so, there maybe quite a file of stuff to refer back to . Feel free to add comment or maybe help in sourcing some parts from around the World for All of us.

Today we start with the Hydraulic clutch Master cylinder that is used on the MK1 Lynx .( MK2 uses mechanicals , ie. cables, etc for the operation of various aspects of the vehicle.)
First pic is of the components and second of unit together with actuating lever. Unit runs 1&1/4" dia. cup on the piston , main shaft is 7/8" dia.
Last picture shows a return spring for the Clutch slave , that we are trying to source , is 182mm in overall length, which is next on the list.....
Cheers From The Tank Factory.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3292.jpg (607.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3294.jpg (475.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3281.jpg (107.5 KB, 0 views)
Loyd Carrier / English / Candian / LP.
M3 Stuart
Old 22-02-22, 18:06

Fantastic idea. I look forward to seeing what will be posted and I wish I could contribute.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 22-02-22, 19:44

Default one thing I learned

I run on runflats on my lynx and i pulled this tube because it had the wrong valve stem. you can see how this 900x16 tube folded and creased itself to fit inside the very thick runflats, as i had a full set of 650/750/825x16 tubes i baby powdered up one and installed it and after inflating and deflating i was happier with how it fit. so i pulled all four and replaced them. proper valve stem and no creasing, all the others had similar folds and creases, it's just a much smaller cavity inside than regular 900x16 NDCC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4184.jpg (176.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 23-02-22, 08:10

Thanks Jordan and Harry , good useful input , although I will be running standard 8 -ply military tires , but I do have a brand new set of war time tires in excellent condition , run flat , that I might put on one of the Lynx's. I don't if you picked up on it , but actually building 4 x Lynx's.
Today I had a look at the clutch slave , trying to figure the cylinder return spring length, finally I think we have a brake through and have discovered that I was using the wrong length pushrod to work this one out. New length is 11",
instead of the 7&1/2" one I had , this shorter one is for the Larger "Indian Patterned Wheeled Carrier" rear engine chassis , of which I am associated with as well, as shown in picture. Cheers from The Tank Factory.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3304.jpg (608.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3281.jpg (107.5 KB, 0 views)
M3 Stuart
Old 26-02-22, 01:42

Default Commendation

Andrew,

Off to a great start ! Promises to be a regular read as you progress. FOUR Lynxes is quite a challenge.

Looking forward to your updates.

Peter
Old 26-02-22, 05:43

Thanks Peter, I have not "Officially Started" , but just tinkering away on various components , I hope my postings can compliment what you have done.
Today we can look inside the differential of the Mk2 Lynx. This runs a 40 tooth and 6 pinion axle , based on Ford 3 ton truck. The crown wheel is standard in that respect with the 6.66 ratio, however the axle housings have brackets for the big shock absorbers that are iconic to the Lynx , axle shafts are standard 16 spines as similar to Bren Carriers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2311.jpg (777.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2335.jpg (792.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2339.jpg (874.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2343 - Copy (3).jpg (819.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2296.jpg (416.0 KB, 1 views)
M3 Stuart