MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 27-08-04, 02:49

Default courage and service

Hi All
In researching my grandfather I have not found why he was awarded the mentioned in dispatches. I have seen a cd for sale "courage and service" ; does anyone know if this contains the info on these awards? Thx Brian
Old 27-08-04, 15:50

Hi Brian

MID's are listed with award date and CRO record number but do not have details of award on the Courage and Service CD. The CD is excellent with loads of info on details of gazetted awards MM, DCM, MC OBE DSO etc.

Michael
Old 29-08-04, 04:20

Thanks Michael, will likely pick up one of these but really wanted to see the write-up. Did see some write ups in the war diaries but seemed to be hit or miss. Still have a couple of microfilms to go. Thx Brian
Old 29-08-04, 09:22
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Question

Brian, do you have his complete service records? They should have a copy of the original citation recommending the award.
Old 30-08-04, 04:31

Hi Geoff
I sent for his service records but all they mention is he received the MID. The number RO 5489 is after it (dont know what that stands for) maybe all numbered; also the date entered is 17feb/45. I remember that it was for action at Falaise. He was wounded on 8aug/44 maybe on that day? Some citations were in the 8th Recce war diaries but seemed to be hit or miss what was in there.
Have been in contact with some of the fellows he served with in the 8th recce. The one fellow I talked on the phone with couldnt help with that but I heard some priceless stories. It was really great hearing stories from someone who was there. I believe I found them from a link to this site and for that I am thankful.
Thx Brian
Old 30-08-04, 05:00

Default MiD

Brian,

That's a shame, although I applaud you for gathering the stories! 8th Recce had a great reputation. If it's any consolation to you, our MiD was roughly the equivalent to the American Bronze Star with V-Device, and they weren't given out wholesale. Knowing our decoration system, he probably deserved the MM for whatever this action was, and may have even been recommended for such, but - as was common - that recommendation was downgraded higher up in the chain of command. It was definitely an 'in-action' award vs and 'I was there' award.

Perhaps Clive Law might be able to offer a bit more expertise here...?
Old 31-08-04, 04:16

Hi Geoff
Research has been frustrating at times. I had his medals replaced a couple of years ago but they would not supply the Dieppe clasp. He had told my mother he was there but officially the 8th Recce were not. But in the war diary it states four officers and four other ranks were in fact there with two of the officers being wounded. Of course it names the officers but not the other ranks. The 8th Recce did liberate Dieppe in 1944 and I asked my mother if this is what he referred to but she states it was the raid in 1942. Also have a pic of troops getting on a destroyer after raid with him supposedly in it but not really clear enough for positive ID.
I do have some original pics, some with carriers,motorbikes,tanks etc. Any interest I can post some. Brian
Old 31-08-04, 04:30

Brian,

If he was there, somewhere there will be routine orders detaching him for that raid. As an Other Rank, you couldn't move without that. Have you tried Squadron War Diaries? Troop records? Somewhere in the Archives, there WILL be a written instruction for this.

Find out who the officers were... if they're still alive they can perhaps shed some light on the matter. Recce pers WILL have been there, as with other reps from various 2nd Div elements not directly associated with the assault. But they couldn't have boarded ship without paper.
Old 01-09-04, 04:11

I asked two fellows from the 8th Recce, they could only remember two officers- one has passed away and the other is suffering from senile dementia. I have since found the other two names in the war diary- one did not survive the war. I will have to ask about the other fellow. The last two reels of microfilm I got in to the library were not viewed as the machines broke down. I will continue digging in the fall. He would have been a sgt. at this time. Eventually made RSM. Brian