MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Military Shows & Events

Notices

Old 17-01-09, 11:31

Default Champ Camp 09

Just in case there is a Champ owner out there who does not know about Champ Camp.
Might I add that this is a magnificent week to be involved in....See Below, and feel free to drop me a line if interested.

Quote:
13th National Champ Camp

in

Australia

The 13th National Champ Camp in Australia will be held from 2nd April through to the 9th April 2009.

The camp is to be held at Marysville, Victoria which is in the south east corner of Australia. Surrounding our base camp is a large area of national parks that contain some of the best 4WDing tracks anywhere in this country. The area that we are in is also the start of the National Horse Trail. This trail starts in a town called Healesville, approx 15Miles south of Marysville, and goes all the way up to Cook Town in Far North Queensland, a distance of 5,330KM. Many of the tracks we will be driving will be part of that trail.

This Champ Camp is probably going to be the biggest so far in Australia. We have a confirmed 20 Champs (maybe 3 more) and 50 people. Attendees are coming from all over. There are 7, maybe more, from the UK, 2 from Hawaii, and the Australian contingent will come from Tasmania, NSW, South Australia and of course Victoria.

The 4WD tracks we will be on range from the very easy to the almost impossible! This we can vouch for, as we have ventured up tracks that many 4WD’s would never get up without a winch, but the Champ just powered up them, well nearly!! One track we went up was pretty close to the limit for the Champ, 45 degrees UP! The track was not only steep but had a lot of large rocks that had to be driven around or over. Then we went down the other side, well I didn’t think tracks could get steeper, I was wrong! Not only steep and rocky, but we had to go over rock drops of up to 2 or 3 feet high. No real problem going down, so long as you took it really slow, but no way would we get back up this track so it was a good thing we actually tried these tracks in the direction we did. The passenger I had with me can’t wait to get his champ back on the road to go and re do this track. The passenger in Peter’s champ is sending him the bill for the dry cleaning of his underwear! Needless to say, this track is off the list for Champ Camp except for those that really want to do it and have the skills.

We will be out every day driving in different areas around Marysville. We have managed to organise approx 50 miles of tracks per day. All of these tracks will be of varying degrees of difficulty, but those that we believe are too hard for some people, or they choose not to do them, we have arranged bypass routes that are easier.

Both Peter Reading and myself, have spent the last 12 months organising this event. We have driven in excess of 1,500 miles in our champs checking all of the tracks we are going to use, This is always necessary, as I am sure you would all be aware of the fact that maps are not always true in what they indicate. We have had a lot of fun, many a discussion over where we were when looking at the map. It does make it hard when roads that exist are not on the map, but then roads shown are no where to be found!

In March a few weeks prior to the camp we will spend a few days rechecking all the tracks to make sure there are no problems and that they are all drivable. Ummm that means another 1,500 miles in my champ. I have to say, I never stop smiling while I am driving it, I love it.

I am sure everyone will enjoy what we have organised for them. If they don’t? Hey, they can organise the next one and do better! Any volunteers for 2010??

If this article is in the Champ Magazine in time and anyone is interested in coming please contact me.

One last thing. I made sure when organising this event, that where we all were to stay, the pub was in walking distance!

Malcolm Bursell
Old 30-01-09, 14:54
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

And if you'd like to go, but don't have a Champ, there's always ever-helpful E-Bay!
Old 30-01-09, 22:03
Blitzed

Ha! Beat me to it Tony.
Old 22-02-09, 05:59

Due to the absolute obliteration of Marysville and the surrounding area, due to the fires, Champ Camp has upped stakes and moved to Blores Hill Camp ground near Glenmaggie. Dates remain the same.
Rich
Old 14-04-09, 14:03

Default Great Week

Champ Camp 09 has been and gone. All up I think we had 18 Champs and a Series 1 Landy doing some entertaining bush tracks, the odd river crossing and a little bargain hunting.
Also included a smattering of guests from the UK, but it is a long way to come to drown a Champ in a river crossing.
While the Champ is well known for its wading capabilities (6 ft), it has been cunningly designed so that the snorkel in the stowed position will suck up the bow wave in a fairly average crossing. The delights of pumping water out through the sparkplugs, can only be surpassed by finding out that the petrol tank breather also runs into the snorkel: it was amazing how much water was in the filter, pump and carby, when some of the Champs returned to base. A clean out and a litre of Metho into the tank fixed most problems.
Also present was one of 3 known, complete, Civilian Champs, we also saw the reunion the brass ID plates and the Champ they were removed from over 20 years ago, and finding out my Champs ARN finished the week off nicely
Managed to get stuck a few times, purely for the kids benefit, and the veiws were magnificent (Champ after Champ after Champ.....)
My thanks to Malcolm, Peter and Warren (owner of the worlds only Bling Champ) for their outstanding effort in organising Champ Camp 09
Rich
Attached Thumbnails
SDC1033.JPG   CC09 035.jpg   CC09 042.jpg  
Old 14-04-09, 14:38

Default Champs

It's great to see people having some fun and adventure in their vehicles , good on you.
Jim S.
Old 15-04-09, 00:21

Default Champ Camp

In the first pic of the three posted, did the guy standing up in the Champ have to do this to warn the guy wading ashore if he was about to get eaten by fresh water crocodiles or was he worried about getting his Clothes wet?
Love the pics and apart from the fact you had to move camp because of those terrible fires I guess you all had a great time.
Nice to see trucks doing what they do best play!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 15-04-09, 10:58

The dry chap in the 1st pic was not worried about the crocks, the sharks had eaten all of them....
Actually he was getting serenaded with "Happy Birthday" at the time,
Here is a few more pics.
Rich
Attached Thumbnails
CC09 058.jpg   CC09 047.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 16-04-09, 03:36
www.REMLR.com

Great photos Richard. Looks like a good time was had by all!
Old 16-04-09, 13:08
Blitzed

The champ with the bullbar at that angle and a quick glance looks like a landcruiser.
Great pics.