MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 06-02-19, 03:21

Well into making the body for the signal lights.
Attached Thumbnails
20190204_092506.jpg   20190204_100649.jpg   20190204_100655.jpg   20190204_102543.jpg  
Old 06-02-19, 03:23

I had made the allowance for these when I cut the top of the turret.
Attached Thumbnails
20190204_102614.jpg   20190206_104459.jpg   20190206_104525.jpg   20190206_105036.jpg  
Old 06-02-19, 03:26

The light socket is out of a M35 light I dismantled to get the parts. The glass lens I bought on Ebay that was in India and about as close as I could get to the original shape and I gave it some volts to test it works.
I now need to make the sliding mounting brackets.
Attached Thumbnails
20190206_105107.jpg   20190206_105522.jpg   20190206_111025.jpg  
Old 06-02-19, 06:25

Colin.

One of the photos in Post 834 shows a Vickers with one of these lamps deployed. Seems to be lacking the glass cover and the three steel studs look like they are completely above the top cover disc.

Perhaps someone can make more sense of the purpose of the lamp from this photo as it looks like if fully extended, it might be somewhat obscured by the cupola structure, except to the rear of the vehicle.

Some form of extendable Formation Lamp, perhaps?

David

Last edited by David Dunlop; 06-02-19 at 10:12.
Old 06-02-19, 07:28
Rick Cove

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
Colin.

One of the photos in Post 834 shows a Vickers with one of these lamps deployed. Seems to be lacking the glass cover and the three steel studs look like they are completely above the top cover disc.

David
David, it looks like the glass has broken and disappeared and the top plate has just dropped down. The nuts are still on the studs.

Rick
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 06-02-19, 08:07

David, I would say they took the glass off for some reason, perhaps to change the globe or replace the broken lens. I have a very good drawing of the complete set up of the light. What I have made would be relatively accurate. That was great spotting from that post as I never picked that up. Great reference for me. I still need to trim my studs to suit yet.
Old 08-02-19, 06:08

These little parts are location clips to hold the light in the down or the up position. They are spring loaded and I still need to make the locators.
Attached Thumbnails
20190208_100009.jpg   20190208_100034.jpg   20190208_102012.jpg   20190208_102049.jpg   20190208_105552.jpg  

Old 08-02-19, 06:10

I have fitted one and it slides up and down very easily. I also need to bolt the handle on.
Attached Thumbnails
20190208_142737.jpg   20190208_142928.jpg   20190208_142946.jpg   20190208_143019.jpg   20190208_143030.jpg  

Old 08-02-19, 07:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin jones View Post
I have fitted one and it slides up and down very easily. I also need to bolt the handle on.
Very nice work, I must say!
Would there be a rubber seal between the hull and top disc, to serve as a weather seal when in the 'down' position?

Owen.
1936 Opel Olympia
MVPA # 39159
MVT # 19406
Old 08-02-19, 14:08

What an interesting little lamp. Colin.

I wonder if it is multifunction in some way and served as an interior lamp in the down position?

David
Old 08-02-19, 15:07

David,
That is a very good idea !

David
Old 08-02-19, 16:36

Colin, Colin, Colin!

The nature of this little lamp is really starting to bug my gizzard!

When it is extended, the interior colour really stands out against all the exterior green paint, and it would be a fairly bright lamp in the dark when lit. All of that would logically seem to weight against its intention as a means of signaling, unless it was issued with some form of filter/shroud kit. Then, if it was issued with some form of kit, it appears the easiest way to install possible accessories would be in the extended position. In a combat situation, that could prove a very high risk task for the crew.

So I think about it a bit as being nothing more than an interior lamp. Seems over designed for that purpose, save for the rather restricted amount of interior room in the vehicle. The designers may then have decided for maintenance purposes, just make the lamp slide up above the vehicle. When done, slide it back down. That, however, raises (no pun) another issue: possibly preventing a lit lamp from accidentally being raised.

Do you have any wiring diagrams at hand that show the circuit for this lamp? At it’s simplest, I would expect to see an ON/OFF Switch located somewhere in series with the lamp. One could kick that basic circuit up a notch by inserting a spring loaded cutout switch in it to automatically shut the lamp off when it was raised for maintenance.

I notice in the last two photos you posted, an new little bit of metal work tucked into the lower bottom corner right below what is possibly the lamp handle support plate? That would be the perfect spot for locating a cutout switch for the lamp.

Then again, I could be totally out to lunch on all this...

David
Old 08-02-19, 19:43

Quote:
Colin, Colin, Colin!

The nature of this little lamp is really starting to bug my gizzard!

When it is extended, the interior colour really stands out against all the exterior green paint, and it would be a fairly bright lamp in the dark when lit. All of that would logically seem to weight against its intention as a means of signaling, unless it was issued with some form of filter/shroud kit. Then, if it was issued with some form of kit, it appears the easiest way to install possible accessories would be in the extended position. In a combat situation, that could prove a very high risk task for the crew.

So I think about it a bit as being nothing more than an interior lamp. Seems over designed for that purpose, save for the rather restricted amount of interior room in the vehicle. The designers may then have decided for maintenance purposes, just make the lamp slide up above the vehicle. When done, slide it back down. That, however, raises (no pun) another issue: possibly preventing a lit lamp from accidentally being raised.

Do you have any wiring diagrams at hand that show the circuit for this lamp? At it’s simplest, I would expect to see an ON/OFF Switch located somewhere in series with the lamp. One could kick that basic circuit up a notch by inserting a spring loaded cutout switch in it to automatically shut the lamp off when it was raised for maintenance.

I notice in the last two photos you posted, an new little bit of metal work tucked into the lower bottom corner right below what is possibly the lamp handle support plate? That would be the perfect spot for locating a cutout switch for the lamp.

Then again, I could be totally out to lunch on all this...

David
David,
As I said in an earlier post, this is a Signalling lamp, nothing more, nothing less, there was a signalling switch in circuit with it. There is no reason for it to be an interior lamp either as Festoon Lamps were fitted in the turret and lower hull. I was involved in the installation of the electrical system of the Australian Mk6a that was restored for the Jacque Littlefield Collection, about 15 years ago. See below a clip of the wiring diagram showing the lamp and switch.

regards, Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Vickers signalling lamp.jpg  

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 08-02-19, 20:08

Thanks for posting the diagram, Richard.

I think the problem we sometimes experience today, in understanding vehicles designed and built 80 years ago, is we evaluate them with far more experience and knowledge than the people who built and operated them 80 years ago ever had available to them.

We can look at a Signal Lamp like this today and wonder why you would want to use a Signal Lamp that is obscured in a very large radius by a part of the vehicle to which it is fitted, why said lamp would not be directional to minimize detection by the enemy in the field and probably a whole host of other observations. When this vehicle was designed and built, these issues may very well have been oblivious to all involved until the concept was put into real life practice. And things evolved from that point.

An interesting example of us being lucky enough to be where we are today, because of all the things that came before us.

Great to see Colin’s work in keeping all the amazing little details of these fascinating little tanks, alive and well today, and available for future generations to appreciate.

David
Old 08-02-19, 20:41
GM Fox I

What saddens me is all the information we have lost or didn't seek out when our veterans were still with us. We can sit in and operate these old beasts but there must have been hundreds of little 'tricks of the trade' that are lost to time. That said, there are times when you are operating one of these old vehicles and reach for, step on or otherwise do something and say to yourself "eureka, they must have done exactly the same thing back then!!"

The lamps...my 2 cents. I can see some red tab officer in his polished Sam Brown insisting on the lamps so he could more easily watch his troop of Vickers tanks keep in perfect, textbook formation while on maneuvers.

Quote:
Thanks for posting the diagram, Richard.

I think the problem we sometimes experience today, in understanding vehicles designed and built 80 years ago, is we evaluate them with far more experience and knowledge than the people who built and operated them 80 years ago ever had available to them.

We can look at a Signal Lamp like this today and wonder why you would want to use a Signal Lamp that is obscured in a very large radius by a part of the vehicle to which it is fitted, why said lamp would not be directional to minimize detection by the enemy in the field and probably a whole host of other observations. When this vehicle was designed and built, these issues may very well have been oblivious to all involved until the concept was put into real life practice. And things evolved from that point.

An interesting example of us being lucky enough to be where we are today, because of all the things that came before us.

Great to see Colin’s work in keeping all the amazing little details of these fascinating little tanks, alive and well today, and available for future generations to appreciate.

David
Old 08-02-19, 22:05

Default Duh!!!!!

'twas a British design........

'ray for the good old days!!!!!

Colin you should consider publishing a book or CD on your restoration.... certainly attracted a lot of followers on MLU.

Bob C
Canada
Old 08-02-19, 22:46

Thankyou all again for your comments and thanks Richard for the clarification of the signal lamp. I'm sure it was probably used for an interior light sometimes too as it would have been quite bright inside when lit. it has a toggle switch just to the left which I'm waiting on and next to that is a rack of some kind. I have shown a photo of an original but I am at a loss as to what it was used to store. It can't be for ammunition as it was too big. The flare rack is located next to it so I need some help with it's purpose.
Bob, yes it has attracted a lot of followers probably because of it's rarity. Nothing like leaving a legacy with your name on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Vickers 03.JPG  
Old 08-02-19, 23:02

Signal flag rack??

Do you have a VOL/CES list for the tank? That might provide a clue.

Mike
Old 08-02-19, 23:19
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cecil View Post
Signal flag rack??

Do you have a VOL/CES list for the tank? That might provide a clue.

Mike
That's my guess too, located where it is between (signal) flares and what's more than likely a (signal) lamp. Later tanks and armoured cars had provision for signal flags so it's likely the Vickers had them somewhere, and flags also makes sense as the Vickers was designed in an era before reliable radio sets so signal flags would have been used in their stead. What may be different and needs to be investigated, is that this rack (if that's really what it is for) has several slots presumably for signal flags of different types. Later on they were the red/white semaphore style.

Just had a re-look at the wiring diagram. Not only does it call the lamp a signal lamp, the switch is called a signalling lamp key. That to me means a morse key for morse code signalling.

Last edited by Bruce Parker (RIP); 08-02-19 at 23:26.
Old 09-02-19, 00:04

Default Hopkins 1937 Report extracts ...

I just remembered I had a copy of Hopkins' 1938 report on exercises with the Royal Tank Regiment in England in which Vickers MkVIA featured.

Concerning the Vickers Mk6A:

Page 4, para 11 (a): R/T: Light Battalion (ie with Vickers 6A) is equipped with No.7 sets...'

Page 4, para 11 (b): ' Lamp signalling: Used for sending messages in morse. The present type is fitted at the right rear of the turret of the Mk VIA light tank and operated by a Morse key. Not being of the shutter type, careful and slow sending is necessary since the filament takes an appreciable time to fade after the key has been released. A further disadvantage is evident in drill formations when vision is often obscured by other tanks. '

Page 5, para 11 (c) Flag: Flag signals shown in TTI 1930 page 170, have been cancelled. A new card of flag signals is now in use in mixed and 'I' Bns. Flags are unsuitable for use in the Light Bn.

Page 5, para 11 (d) Hand Signals: Flag signals are often employed when tanks are close ....

So, now to work out what 'TTI' is and find a copy to see the flag signaling instructions, as these were extant when the Vickers MkVIA was being designed. I don't think tanks carried semaphore flags, as these were in pairs on poles about a metre long.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Cecil; 09-02-19 at 00:11.
Old 09-02-19, 00:18

I did mention signalling flags earlier and recall finding the details of them when we were working on Platypus, yes, that is what the rack is for. Have a feeling the morse key was in the turret, but no sign of the signalling lamp or parts.

Old 09-02-19, 00:38
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cecil View Post
I don't think tanks carried semaphore flags, as these were in pairs on poles about a metre long.

Mike
There are smaller ones, the flag maybe 10" square with the wooden poles 18" or so. There were signalling alphabets and numbers designed for either one or two flags. I stand to be corrected but think these were what was referred to in later AFV stowage diagrams. At least I hope I'm right as that's what I have stowed in my Fox.
Old 09-02-19, 01:38

Thanks for the info as that does make sense. So would they have been wooden handle flags and have some kind of code that I may be able to look up and maybe get their design
Mike, unfortunately I don't have vol/ces list as that would be of great assistance. Since I started I have now accounted for about 75% of stowage and ces but things like that rack in the turret had me a bit stumped. Once again MLU to the rescue
Old 09-02-19, 13:52

I will note, modern tanks still use flags on ranges to indicate safe/fire status.

Is it possible this was used during ranges or training to indicate when the tank was doing live firing as well perhaps?

A concept/idea.

Love the work, it's amazing in detail.

Brad
Old 09-02-19, 14:17

In your photo of the original Signal Lamp, Colin, I wonder what little gems of information might be hidden on the metal tag fastened to the lower right side of the assembly?

Also curious about the wiring. It looks cloth loomed that has experienced a number of aluminium paint over sprays during it’s lifetime, but is it possible it was a braided wire loom?

Nice to have photos like that to help sort long gone electrical fittings, clips and brackets.

I suspect with a project of this magnitude, if you kept a logbook of ‘Things to Revisit in More Detail’ for all the photos you have accumulated, it would be one very large book by now! Must be a great help a scattering of surviving Vickers are still about that can be visited and photographed for you.

Funny... an Xmas Rhyme just came to mind: ‘And visions of Vickers danced through his head!’

Cheers,

David
Old 09-02-19, 15:47

Quote:

Also curious about the wiring. It looks cloth loomed that has experienced a number of aluminium paint over sprays during it’s lifetime, but is it possible it was a braided wire loom?

Nice to have photos like that to help sort long gone electrical fittings, clips and brackets.

Hi David,
When I was called in to do all the electrical work on Platypus, there were scraps of wiring which were in braided wire sleeving. This sleeving is still available and I have used it on other British WW2 armour restorations. The hull and turret had been blasted and painted, with silver inside. While sitting inside with a lamp, I could see marks visible in the hull and turret where the cabling had run, and been clipped. This was where the metal had weathered over the years but the narrow area under the cable had not. A form of detective work! This helped me lay out the route of the cabling.

I did take a lot of photos, but unfortunately they were in a computer that failed.

regards, Richard

Old 09-02-19, 20:00

Great work there Colin.
Looking at the photo in post 1007, and continuing with the signal flag them, it looks like there's a series of rivets down the side and along the bottom of the bracket as well as the remains of what looks like canvas. Could I suggest that there's meant to be a canvas pocket that the flags dropped into to protect the flags from damage or getting dirty and the clips at the top held their wooden handles in place?
Old 10-02-19, 07:22

Thanks for your comments Brad!

David, I would love to know what it on that tag and I assume it would still be there somewhere in the US in the Collings foundation Vickers. I certainly have collected a lot of photos over the last couple of years and still find wonderful info every time I go back over them. Sometimes you don't know the information is there until a certain need arises and it has happened many times. Some of the photos that have been sourced by some MLU members has been of paramount importance for accuracy and knowledge.
I don't know the Xmas Rhyme you mentioned but it certainly fits with in my sleeping pattern

Richard, it is a real shame you lost those photos on your computer as I'm sure there would have been a lot of extremely valuable information there. AS far as the braided wiring loom, again, I am very lucky to have a couple of feet of some original braid in the turret basket and I have just ordered some which should be here next week.

Russell, you are spot on. I do have a photo showing a leather bag that is riveted underneath the flag clips. Now that I know that it is for flags, the leather bag underneath makes a whole lot of sense.

I made a pin system for forming the clip bracket for the flags.
Attached Thumbnails
20190210_101530 (1).jpg   20190210_110646.jpg   20190210_121745.jpg   20190210_121947.jpg   20190210_150827.jpg  

Old 10-02-19, 07:27

It certainly took longer to make the pins and plate than it did to bend the brackets. I will do a bit more fine adjustment after they are riveted on.
Attached Thumbnails
20190210_152229.jpg   20190210_161047.jpg  
Old 10-02-19, 09:02

Colin.

Nice work setting up the form to make the clips. Just wondering, however, if the two clip strips you made were a test run? In the photo of the original assembly, it shows a seven lobe run of clips, which would hold six wooden flag handles, with a small half loop tab at either end.

Then again, its in the wee hours here, -30 outside, and my brain might be getting a wee bit frosty.

David