MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Military Shows & Events

Notices

Old 24-04-12, 12:41

Default TULIP FESTIVAL 4th MAY 2012 VIP CONVOY

I am have been asked to act as the link person between the MV community and the Festival.

The Tulip Festival is having a convoy around downtown Ottawa on Friday 4th May. Linked with this is the unveiling of a memorial in the downtown area.

They are looking to transport a number of VIPs and sponsors of the event.

The approximate timings are from 1600 hrs to 1900 hrs with a static display in a courtyard in Byward Market for the last hour or so.

This is trying to link the starting of the Festival with its roots in the heritage from WW2 with the Dutch Royal Family and their giving thanks to Canada for hosting the Dutch Royal Family and the Canadian involvement in the Liberation of Holland.

So far we have two vehicles that have committed to attend.

Anyone with a vehicle big or small who would be prepared to drive and transport VIPs and sponsors is asked to contact myself as soon as possible.

All vehicles need to be street legal.

While there is a desire to have WW2 vehicles the availability is understood and all eras of vehicles are welcome. It is also well understood that this is a weekday afternoon / early evening.

I am continuing discussions with the Festival organisers on subject such as tax receipts for providing your vehicle and feeding during the static part.

It is well recognised that this is a late call and that the weather may not be favourable as it is early in the season.

Please email me your vehicle details and post here that you are willing to commit to the event. I will continue to liaise with the festival organisers.

Rgards

Robin Craig
Old 25-04-12, 00:58

anyone else coming?

R
Old 26-04-12, 12:06

So 41 views but no replies.

Hmmm. Its going to be a small convoy.

R
Old 29-04-12, 05:16
Terry Warner

Perhaps the collective is voting with its feet at not being properly notified by people who don't really care about us or our vehicles ....

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 29-04-12, 10:34

I am not going to start a flame war here but:-

1 Terry, Thanks for engaging and at least posting something

2 Your statement hints at previous history between the Tulip Festival and the MV community about which I know nothing. Care to expand?

3 I have as yet had no response from various Ottawa based MV leading lights thus far and feel well in the dark as to what may have gone on before.

4 The request was made to me at an 11th hour.

5 My cell phone number is 1 613 484 6602 if anyone cares to talk to me about this.

Regards

Robin
Old 29-04-12, 17:53
Terry Warner

Robin, I'm not criticizing you, but the organizers. Time and again I have seen important changes to festival lineups, with no consideration for the volunteers involved. The organizers want period eye-candy to legitimize their party/parade. And even if my MV was appropriate, I don't feel generous enough.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 30-04-12, 00:37

There appears to have been a misconception on my part that the Ottawa area MV owners all hang out here.

I have now enlisted the help of Mark Paine and he has sent out an email to all local owners.

So far we have a 1943 MB jeep and driver in period uniform.

Count is four vehicles now

R
Old 01-05-12, 03:08

Default Tulip Fesitval

Hello Robin

No not all MV owners are on MLU.

If i get my jeep up and running and out of storage I will be there as well.

Stuart if the Iltis members have a Hotmail address, this could be the reason why they were turned down. I had to use another address other than cmpmagazine@hotmail.com to sign up.

Have them try with a different e-mail, other than hotmail.

I never heard back from the Tulip Fesitval organizer i left a message with. Although i now know he would not have any idea what MV event i was talking about.

Eric
Old 01-05-12, 07:43
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Fedak View Post
In fact, some have applied in the past to join MLU, but were turned down by the moderator. Not sure what the criteria is for joining, but someone who has a 1945 GPW, a 1986 Iltis/M101 CDN2 and who has restored windshields for MLU members for their CMP is a good fellow to have in the group.
Stuart,

I am not sure why the people you refer to were turned down, but owning those types of vehicles certainly was not the reason.

Most often people do not read our requirements to join. So if you could please point out the fact that they need to sign up using their real name, I would be happy to add them to our membership.

Hope this helps,
Hanno
MLU Forum Administrator
Old 01-05-12, 07:50

Default Hang in there...

Robin....I have to agree with the members 2 cents put in here from each direction....but that's beside the point. The curtain goes up in 4 days and you are reaching out for some help. My suggestion is that the members of the MLU Forum contact anyone with WW11 vehicles in the Capital, to see if they can participate, even if they get someone else to drive their vehicle. Pull out all the stops, as this is a very proud and personal part of Holland and Canada's WW11 History. Don't disappoint our MLU members in Holland.....especially Hanno!!

Doing what your doing, in Vancouver, I know what your going through. If I was there with the 3 Tonner and HUP...I'd be in there like a shot! (with wooden shoes)

Good luck, good show and COME ON OTTAWA!!! Robert :salute
Old 01-05-12, 12:34

To recap where we are at.

Four vehicles so far confirmed, one being a WW2 Jeep, a few other possible vehicles to be confirmed.

Anyone else wishing to join in are welcome.

This is a small convoy and the Festival seems to be happy with what vehicles are going as it suits their purposes for the task at hand.

The form up point will be outside the Cartier Drill Hall on Friday 4th at 4pm as far as I know. I will confirm this.

Thanks for all those who have engaged.

Regards

Robin

Last edited by Robin Craig; 02-05-12 at 03:20.