MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25-01-12, 03:11
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Mb jeep tranfer case oil seal

Hi guys

I noticed that there was some oil leaking from the Forward Counter Shaft of the Transfer Case on my 1942 MB Willys Jeep. This is a bit annoying as my Jeep is stored on a carpeted floor in my garage. I stripped the parts down to reveal the leaking oil seal, see item "19" shown on the attacment.

I tried everything to remove the oil seal including using pullers but everything I did failed to budge the culprit. I thought of using a screw driver and hammer to try and destroy the seal, but then I thought if I am wrong I would do more damage than good.

I seek advice from any MLU member who may have had a similar problem with their Transfer Case forward Counter shaft Oil Seal and who may have successfully removed and replaced the new oil seal. The workshop manual does not say much on how to remove the oil seal apart in one sentence it says to use a driver??? to remove it. Now I know am not that bright, but anyone knows you can't get a golf club or a car driver into that little hole.

I look forward to hearing from someone who has had a successful extraction and re-insertion with the troublesome oil seal.

Cheers

Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan10106.jpg (80.8 KB, 33 views)