MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 25-01-12, 03:11
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Mb jeep tranfer case oil seal

Hi guys

I noticed that there was some oil leaking from the Forward Counter Shaft of the Transfer Case on my 1942 MB Willys Jeep. This is a bit annoying as my Jeep is stored on a carpeted floor in my garage. I stripped the parts down to reveal the leaking oil seal, see item "19" shown on the attacment.

I tried everything to remove the oil seal including using pullers but everything I did failed to budge the culprit. I thought of using a screw driver and hammer to try and destroy the seal, but then I thought if I am wrong I would do more damage than good.

I seek advice from any MLU member who may have had a similar problem with their Transfer Case forward Counter shaft Oil Seal and who may have successfully removed and replaced the new oil seal. The workshop manual does not say much on how to remove the oil seal apart in one sentence it says to use a driver??? to remove it. Now I know am not that bright, but anyone knows you can't get a golf club or a car driver into that little hole.

I look forward to hearing from someone who has had a successful extraction and re-insertion with the troublesome oil seal.

Cheers

Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan10106.jpg (80.8 KB, 33 views)
Old 25-01-12, 03:18
carrier mech

Item 19 is a shifter shaft seal, not the counter shaft seal. I don't think there even is a forward countershaft seal....the shaft just sits in the case and does not go thru.

If it is indeed the shifter shaft you are trying to remove, they can be a bit stubborn. You are not far off with your idea about the screw driver and hammer to pry it out, however you must use caution that you do not score the shaft. Puncture the metal of the seal and pry it as best you can.
Old 25-01-12, 03:32

Tony You can use a small chisle and hammer to cut it out but they are a real bi%&@ to do while the case to still togeather, for 20.00 bucks you can get both front and rear oil seals and the gaskets, Just take off the front of the transfer case slide your shifters in gear and it all will slide off the front of the case..Then you have access to the rear of the oil seal 1 hour and a six pack later its done,you can even leave the transfer case in the jeep just undo the snubber mount and the six bolts and pull the shift pins.
Jason
Old 25-01-12, 05:35

Default I think we are missing the point....

The garage has a CARPETED floor!
Trust the lampshades have matching shades....
Rich
Old 25-01-12, 08:11
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Oil seal removal

Jason/Rob

Thanks guys for your imput, I now have more confidance to tackle the job, being careful not to scour the side walls.

Cheers

Tony
Old 25-01-12, 08:19
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Carpet floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Coutts-Smith View Post
The garage has a CARPETED floor!
Trust the lampshades have matching shades....
Rich
Hi Rich

Yes mate my Jeep lives in luxury, I have to take into account the age of the old girl and the hard life lived before I rescued her from a cold and damp lean too on a farm. I thought she deserved to spend the rest of her days in comfort. Oh by the way she is kept company by the No: 4 trailer in the carpeted garage.

Cheers

Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02065.jpg (53.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 25-01-12, 08:55
Bluebell

Default Hi Tony

One way to try to remove the seal is with a slide hammer. Panel beaters used a slide hammer with a self tapping screw welded to a nut on the slide hammer. Carefully drill a hole into the steel body of the seal. Wind the screw into the seal, hook up the slide hammer, and try it.
The old war time seals are steel bodied with leather and quite deep, and will be hard to get out. You might have to have 2 or 3 goes at it, but each time the screw pulls out of the hole it tends to reduce the dia. of the seal body. A neoprene seal will come out easier.
Oh, by the way, oil weeping from seals with an occasional drip was quite acceptable when your jeep was built. Have your self an ali drip tray or two made up to sit under her.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....