MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13-07-06, 05:45

Default technology from the past

hi all

as mentioned previously, i was given a stack of old popular mechanics, mechanix illistrated, and science and mechanics magazines the other day. they date from the 1940's to the 1970's and have survived quite well. i have only had the chance to look at six of them so far, but have found some interesting things in them, and had a few good laughs in the process. some of the ideas they had back then seem so rediculous today that at time's it's hard not to laugh. in other cases, what was cutting edge then became reality and is now obsolete. anyhow, i figured that some of this stuff has been forgotted over the years and that it was time to bring some of it back to light. as i get the chance to look the rest of them over, and if you are interested, i can post what i find.
please keep in mind that all of the above magazines were published out of the United States, so their articles are generally written based on what was being tested down there. by the same token, many of their military products ended up in our army as well as many others. hope you all enjoy this little trip down memory lane, or in my case history mike

first up from 1954, why build landing craft and amphibious armour when you can simply do this.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg water wings 1954.jpg (102.3 KB, 322 views)