MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 12-09-03, 20:41

Question British vehicles in Canada

Years ago I saw a picture of two Landrover Forward Controls 101 that were surplus after testing with the Canadian forces, the distinctive difference these vehicles had were fibreglass cab roof. Anyone knows what happened to them?

Also I saw a picture of a Saracen APC minus turret with a large Radar antenna array on top it. This vehicle was sitting in a surplus yard somewhere missing a couple of wheels.
Anyone know more about the whereabouts and the history of this vehicle?
Old 14-09-03, 17:33

Default Info.

There is a 101 in use just north of Toronto, Canada. Do not know owner but I do see it on the highway about once a month or so. Usually going the other way so I don't know if it has a fibreglass top or not.
Saracen sit in a dealers yard near Montreal, Canada. Vehicle was hit by live 105mm while on the training range at Suffield, Alberta. Just a shell now. No engine, transmission, two of six wheel stations completely missing, interior stripped, currrent owner just dropped the US radar dish on top for display purposes, original turret still in Alberta, he thinks.

Robert in Toronto.
Old 14-09-03, 19:16
Art Johnson

Default 695

Rob, anything new on 695?
Old 15-09-03, 06:21

Default 695 ??

Art, if your post was intended for me, I'm sorry but "695" doesn't have any meaning for me just now. Am I having a "senior moment" ? Please refresh my memory ! Robert in Toronto
Old 15-09-03, 18:44

Thanks
There are quite a few 101 running around, mostly soft tops, but a few full body ones (radio, ambulance and the rare vampire type)

The cabs I saw are similar to the pick up cabs as used on the landrover 109 pickup.

Shame about the Saracen, I would love to have a running one!
Old 15-09-03, 18:56
Art Johnson

Default 625 Maintenance Bn.

Oops I guess I was having a Senior Moment also. The last thing I heard was two years ago.
Old 15-09-03, 18:58

Default Your Wish is My Command ...

There was/is a restored Saracen for sale by the owner of the Ottwa Hummer dealership. Also a US company called "Western Resources" (in Wis. I think) imports them regularly (and stocks spare parts). They advertize in "Military Vehicles" magazine quite often.
Shipping to BC won't be free and I'm not sure what border obstacles will be put in your way in this era of "heightened security" (what a joke ! - Should be called "How to hose the taxpayer 101") but good luck !! Robert in Toronto
Old 17-09-03, 00:21

Default Saracen in Canada

Somewhere packed away I have photos of a Saracen taken in Ottawa about 20 years ago (?) by Barry Gillis. It was missing the two middle wheels as I recall, and was gutted. There were aircraft engines etc. in the same compound. I believe it was a Canadian government compound.

This MAY be the one that ended up in Quebec as mentioned above.

Saracens, Fox (post-war model), Saladin, Ferrets etc. are being imported into the USA by dealers.

Canada tested some Land Rovers. Many years ago I saw a photo of a Land Rover with Tracks on each wheel position. (CFB Borden Museum?).

There are a fair number of surplus Land Rovers in Western Canada due the the BATUS (British Army Training Unit Suffield) in Alberta which has sold off some surplus. Ian Newby of International Movie Services (Aldergrove, BC) had quite a few - at least one of which had 1st Gulf War paint scheme under the BATUS paint scheme. None are forward control types though, but rather are left or right hand drive "normal" types. Ian by the way has well over 100 military vehicles now including 6 ex-US military (USMC & USSF) Humvees (7th one coming), LAV 8 wheeled armoured car (serial number 001), M59 APCs (about 6, US made, ex-Belgian Army).
Old 17-09-03, 03:44
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Seen any of these lately,Colin...

Canada tested some of these against the Weasel...
16 April '45.....
I have the report...It did miserable...tracks failed ...and axels..and bearings....and....
Attached Thumbnails
jeep tracked 1.jpg  
Old 17-09-03, 03:46
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Rear View....

Not many pictures of this vehicle around..
Attached Images

Old 17-09-03, 05:37

Default Tracked "Jeep"

I could be mistaken but I believe that Andre Gibeault donated his restored version of one of these to the CWM about a year ago and he has the remains of another donor vehicle still at his farm.
Robert in Toronto
Old 17-09-03, 18:47

Thanks Colin
I know Ian quite well, we were in the army together and I have been meaning to go out to his new place to look at his toys.
Old 01-11-09, 16:44

Default Land Rover 101FC

The two tested by the CF were sold off to one person who still owns them but regretably they are in a state of disrepair and he wont sell them. I hold most of the test report data and some prints from the testing except that any Valacartier material was not included.

Contact me via pm if you need more info

Robin
Old 01-11-09, 22:25

Colin, does Ian have any Alvis CVR (T) vehicles for sale? I am looking for some tracked armour, and could get some from the U.K, but I am not in the mood for the paperwork and Headaches.
Dan Sicotte