MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 07-08-07, 22:44
Numpty

Default Chev Staff Car

Evenin' all, did anyone see this in the classifieds on ebay? A 1938 RHD Chev staff car, supposedly used at the Spy School in Canada. It is exceptionally nice looking. Advertised on ebay for £1900. Struck me as rather cheap. Got no reply from the new ebayer behind it, and it was removed after a week :horse:. It is also advertised on www.carandclassic.co.uk for £12,000. For some odd reason it lives in London and Hampshire
It does look good, if anything.
Nick

C8A HUW 1942
Old 07-08-07, 22:57

Default chevrolet staff car

Hi Nick

I also contacted this seller and got a reply, but was very unhappy with the terms of the deal. Basically he was asking for a buyer to complete the sale, which is presumably contractual in ebay land and having confirmed presumably he would ask for payment. However, viewing was not possible "out of the country" the location could not even be advised, and he didn't have the time to answer any additional questions beyond the details listed... It all sounded a bit fishy so I left it alone. Interestingly I later noticed a subsribers listings on the HMVG mailing list that looked to be using the same pictures.

I suppose that it could be ok and that I missed a real bargain

However I understand it this vehicle has been almost continuously for sale for quite some time at a figure well in excess of the £1900 quoted, I have a vague idea that I've seen it at £15000 before now... but like everything I may just be wrong again!.

Take care
kind regards
nick
Old 07-08-07, 23:02
MLU Administrator

Hi Nick, I think I saw this advertised on MilWeb recently. Sure looks like an impressive vehicle.

From http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C13714:
Quote:
Built at the Oshawa factory in Ontario as one of a limited production run,this right hand drive vehicle was used as transport for students at Camp X, the WW2 Canadian Spy School made famous by the film/book A Man Called Intrepid.

It was, in circa 1943/44, bought to England and used by the military for various duties including the transport of
senior personnal. It later returned to the USA and returned to England in the late 1990s.

I cannot confirm but have been told the vehicle was used in several period films.

It has been very well restored with immaculate paintwork and liveried as a WW2 Canadian military staff car. MOT and Tax. Alawys stored inside. Car Manual and some paperwork.
Interior is fine as is the overall condition of this rare car. There is an excellent spares and support network available in the UK and the USA.

This vehicle has been oil sprayed on the underside. It has five new tyres. Various new parts just fitted including coil and condenser and some spare parts are included with the vehicle. Complete with Workshop Manual

Category: Cars
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Master Sedan
Year: 1938
Price: £12000 As stated
Region: Hampshire
Attached Images

Old 07-08-07, 23:12
Numpty

Thats the one Hanno. It does look nice, I must admit.

You're right, Nick, this all sounds very odd. If I had a car like that and had a genuine reason to be selling on, I would like to think I would be helpful to those interested. I know it came from Camp X, but that doesn't mean the chap has to go all cloak and dagger. Shame, really, cos at £1900, it would have been a complete steal.

C8A HUW 1942
Old 07-08-07, 23:13

Default hi Hanno

I may well be getting my wires crossed, but I have a feeling this vehicle was restored by Graham Lycette of Jeeparts UK, it passed from him to another owner in Stoke on Trent, I saw it last summer when still for sale, as you say a nice car, just seems odd that it should be offered for so little, I'm also generally dubious of vehicle with significant claimed histories, but always happy to be proved wrong!!