MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 29-08-19, 19:47

Default WS52 Carrier wS52 Aerial Tuning coil connector

hi all I have my WS52 - main and remote receiver , power supply and transmitter all working. I do have the rear connection bus bar from the carrier -case but no actual case so I'm looking for for decent pictures of the carrier to permit me to fabricate a replacement. I have given up trying to find an original.
Secondly my aerial tuning coil is misssing the connector that goes to the antenna. I dont know what it really looks like so some pictures would be helpful as those in the manuals are unclear. Lastly my Tuning coil case is missing its rear cover. Can anyone confirm that it was made from wood and not metal.
Thank you for your time
Brian Gi4KEQ
Old 30-08-19, 02:26

Brian. The back panel for the Coil, Aerial Tuning is wood as per the rest of the case. Screws are slotted, round head wood screws. I can get you the length if you need it.

David
Old 30-08-19, 02:32

Regarding the connector you need. Is it the long one you need from the large ceramic insulator on the top left side of the coil box, or the short one running from either of the two small wing nut terminals on either lower side of the coil case to the heavy insulated output terminal on the top right front corner of the Sender. Its the short one the coil was typically issued with.

David
Old 30-08-19, 18:35

hi David its the long insulator and associated bits that facilitate connction to the antenna . I'm sorry I dont really know what it consists of because on mine its all completely missing just leaving a hole in the case.
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
Regarding the connector you need. Is it the long one you need from the large ceramic insulator on the top left side of the coil box, or the short one running from either of the two small wing nut terminals on either lower side of the coil case to the heavy insulated output terminal on the top right front corner of the Sender. Its the short one the coil was typically issued with.

David
Old 30-08-19, 18:38

hi David thanks for that. I guess if you have the screw length at hand it would be nice to try and match the originals.
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
Brian. The back panel for the Coil, Aerial Tuning is wood as per the rest of the case. Screws are slotted, round head wood screws. I can get you the length if you need it.

David
Old 31-08-19, 01:31
GM Fox I

Brian, I'm happy to help with pics and dimensions for the carrier. The bad news is that it is a complicated item with a whole lot of parts that would have to be fabricated.
Old 01-09-19, 02:23

While I think of it, Brian, can you post a couple of pictures of the outer left side corner of your Coil Box where the ceramic insulator was removed, and a corresponding photo of the interior of that corner? That would give us a better idea of the pieces you may need, to restore that portion of the assembly.

David
Old 01-09-19, 16:44

Default Pictures of WS52 Aerial tuning coil.

At the moment its looking a bit sad as its been got at. But I'm sure I can invisibly mend the chopped out bit. The connector is my biggest concern
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01935 (Large).JPG (281.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01936 (Large).JPG (234.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01937 (Large).JPG (327.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01938 (Large).JPG (302.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01939 (Large).JPG (291.3 KB, 1 views)
Old 02-09-19, 18:32

Default Pictures

hi Bruce if you could manage some pictures of the carrier I would be appreciated. From what you say a full repro would be impractical but I may be able to make a simplified version that would look authentic from the front view?
Best regards Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Parker View Post
Brian, I'm happy to help with pics and dimensions for the carrier. The bad news is that it is a complicated item with a whole lot of parts that would have to be fabricated.
Old 03-09-19, 02:09

Brian.

I pulled the rear cover from my Coil Case to verify thickness and it was 3/8-inch not the 1/4- inch I originally posted. It is also one solid board, although you could certainly build one up to size if needed.

I also did some rummaging in old parts boxes and found an insulated terminal assembly I had long forgotten about. It got whacked in its life and the inner ceramic sleeve that passes through the side hole of the case had three small pieces break off. Two larger ones were apparently saved and one small bit was lost. It was repaired with a liberal coating of what looks like battery pitch, but cleaned up reasonably well. I think some careful gluing with a modern porcelain or china cement might do the trick.

I will post a photo tomorrow of the bits for you.

David
Old 09-09-19, 02:18
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McMahon View Post
hi Bruce if you could manage some pictures of the carrier I would be appreciated. From what you say a full repro would be impractical but I may be able to make a simplified version that would look authentic from the front view?
Best regards Brian
Brian, here's some pics.

Without getting too detailed with where all the reinforcing angles are, what you have is:

- The top section which is a piece of 18 gauge steel the width of the radio and folded to form a bottom, back, top and lip at the top. There are four 18 gauge panels with ½” lips that become the two ends and center partitions for the supply unit. At both ends of this open fronted ‘box’ are two squares made of 1-1/4” angle that also hold lifting handles and rubber shock mounts.

- The bottom section made mostly of 1/8” in steel. There are two ends folded into ‘boxes’ which are set vertically into a bottom frame running the width of the radio. The tops of these end ‘boxes’ are what the rubber shock mounts sit on. There are reinforcing straps welded to the corners and oblong holes for mounting the carrier to a table.

I would tackle making one of these being able to bend and weld the angle iron and 18 gauge steel but would need someone to bend up the thicker stuff. If you're brave I can work up some dimensions and construction details.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1s.JPG (184.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 3s.JPG (128.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 4s.JPG (162.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 5s.JPG (183.4 KB, 2 views)