MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 21-03-12, 12:57

Default Chance Phonecall

Now that the vehicle in question is safely back home, I'll tell you a little story.
A couple of weeks ago I received a phonecall, asking me if I could go with a freind of mine to assess the value of a jeep. Now when people say jeep, it can mean anything from a CJ to a Champ or even a Landrover. So, off we go on a Saturday afternoon, to look at said jeep. To cut a long story short, I am now the proud new owner of an early March 42 script bodied Willys jeep ! ( I could'nt refuse it). Whilst there are some bits missing, the condition of the body and chassis is amazing, as most of them rot out, I can only guess this one has been garaged most of it's life. The gearbox is interesting, as it has a rebuild plate on it , from Japan.
So the Chevy and the Dodge now have a new stable mate. I'll start a new thread in the restoration forum, as and when I start the rebuild.
Regards
Keith
P.S. The eagle eyed amounst you may also have notice the Farmall A and Case in the background, they belong to the chap I bought the jeep off.
Attached Thumbnails
loading 2.jpg   loading 3.jpg   loading 4.jpg   gearbox 2.jpg  

Last edited by Keith Orpin; 21-03-12 at 12:59. Reason: Additional text
Old 21-03-12, 14:26
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Good find

Hi Keith

Looks like a nice straight unmolested project. I look forward to seeing the reports of the restoration project. Good to see a Jeep story, for a while there I thought there were only CMP people on the forum.

Good Luck

Tony
Old 21-03-12, 14:46

Hi Tony,
Considering how close to home this one was (only 15 miles down the road), added to the number of jeep fanatics here in England, I was surprized this one surfaced. Just goes to show what's lurking about !. Oddly enough, although this one was built on an American contract, 4 jeeps from this contract were sent to England, so she will be restored in British markings (even though the 101st were just 25 miles away from where I live)
Regards
Keith
Old 22-03-12, 00:50
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Keep it local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Orpin View Post
Hi Tony,
Considering how close to home this one was (only 15 miles down the road), added to the number of jeep fanatics here in England, I was surprized this one surfaced. Just goes to show what's lurking about !. Oddly enough, although this one was built on an American contract, 4 jeeps from this contract were sent to England, so she will be restored in British markings (even though the 101st were just 25 miles away from where I live)
Regards
Keith
Hi Keith

Nice to be talking Jeep stuff. Yes one never knows what is lying around and even better if near near home. I agree go British in the restoration. A mate and I had to travel about 1200 Klms round trip to collect mine from a farm. Mine was in USA markings and colour but I restored the Jeep as an Australian Western Desert 2/10 Battalion in desert colours. The vehicle stands out amongst other Jeeps still restored as USA vehicles. I look forward to following your progress and don't forget the photos.

Cheers

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0066.jpg  
Old 22-03-12, 08:44

Quote:
The eagle eyed amounst you may also have notice the Farmall A and Case in the background, they belong to the chap I bought the jeep off.
Whats the tractor behind the farmall?

Last edited by Howard; 22-03-12 at 10:11. Reason: Repair broken quote script
Old 22-03-12, 10:26

Hi Luke,
It's a 1941 American Case. I'll have a word with my lad who I know took some pictures of it, and I'll post one or two. Best of it was, I actually got to swing her up and started her, when we had finished loading the jeep (No, it did'nt kick back !).
Regards
Keith
Old 24-03-12, 00:29

Default Jeep rebuild

During the Korea War Military Vehicles were rebuilt in Japan
Jeff
Old 04-04-12, 11:34
Ian Williams

Default Pictures of the MB

SO Keith,

We are waiting on some more photos of the MB.

You show you yours & I will show you my GPW

Quote:
So the Chevy and the Dodge now have a new stable mate. I'll start a new thread in the restoration forum, as and when I start the rebuild.
Regards
Keith
P.S. The eagle eyed amounst you may also have notice the Farmall A and Case in the background, they belong to the chap I bought the jeep off.
Ian (in OZ)

F15A,
2x Army Land Rover 88' sIIA's
GPW
Other stuff

Last edited by sth65pac; 04-04-12 at 22:10. Reason: added an important word :)
Old 04-04-12, 14:07

Quote from Ian,

SO Keith,

We are waiting on some photos of the MB.

All in good time, but just to keep you interested, here are four pictures taken last weekend. You'll just have to wait for other pictures, as and when I start a new thread.
So far, with the help of several books and another MLU member (Mr Ashby) we have come up with the following:
Chassis No MB 125287, D of D + or - 1 day = 5th March 1942
Body No 20613, AMC1 body, Mid Feb 1942 (my attempt to photograph this number on the front body stantion, was a complete disaster!, but I will perservere).
So, she just misses out on being a slat grill. I 've also since discovered that someone has removed the glovebox from her at some stage , so that will have to be rectified, along with the fuel tank guard, which should have rounded corners. The steering box feels good, and I think I'm right in saying that the Ross steering box was also used on the MA, which makes sense on an early MB.
Over to you Ian
Keith
Attached Thumbnails
steering box 1.jpg   P4010138.JPG   P4010139.JPG   P4010140.JPG  
Old 04-04-12, 15:17
Tony VAN RHODA

Default 1942 mb willys jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Orpin View Post
Quote from Ian,

SO Keith,

We are waiting on some photos of the MB.

All in good time, but just to keep you interested, here are four pictures taken last weekend. You'll just have to wait for other pictures, as and when I start a new thread.
So far, with the help of several books and another MLU member (Mr Ashby) we have come up with the following:
Chassis No MB 125287, D of D + or - 1 day = 5th March 1942
Body No 20613, AMC1 body, Mid Feb 1942 (my attempt to photograph this number on the front body stantion, was a complete disaster!, but I will perservere).
So, she just misses out on being a slat grill. I 've also since discovered that someone has removed the glovebox from her at some stage , so that will have to be rectified, along with the fuel tank guard, which should have rounded corners. The steering box feels good, and I think I'm right in saying that the Ross steering box was also used on the MA, which makes sense on an early MB.
Over to you Ian
Keith
Hi Keith

Going by your Chassis numbers. MB 125287 the range between 108599 to 200022 was the range of 91,424 vehicles manufactured in 1942. It confirms yours was produced early in 1942. My Jeep, Chassis number. MB 163331 came off the production line on the 04th August 1942. Willys started production of the MB from October 1941 to late 1945. your vehicle body is looking pretty good for nearly 70 years. I look forward to more progress photos, it takes me back to when I restored mine.

Cheers

Tony
Old 04-04-12, 17:20

Quick question im still a Willy's noob but the front frame crossmember looks to me that your willy's should be newer than 1942 or am i worng on that. Im restoring a 42 GPW and its for sure different than that plus i just purchased a 46 cj2a and it has the same xmember than yours.
Old 04-04-12, 22:48

Hi Thomas,
Your 42 GPW (Ford) has an inverted U section front cross member (with a large F stamped on it), whereas the Willys MB has a tubular front cross member, probably the same or very similar to your 46 CJ 2a, (the postwar Hotchkiss jeep from France also has this X member, right the way upto the late 60's,as it was produced using the American Willys pressings). There are many other differences, once you start comparing the Ford to the Willys, as an example, Ford used Willys chassis during 42, due to a shortage of their own chassis.
Hope this helps
Regards
Keith
Old 05-04-12, 03:36
Tony VAN RHODA

Default It is genuine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas L. View Post
Quick question im still a Willy's noob but the front frame crossmember looks to me that your willy's should be newer than 1942 or am i worng on that. Im restoring a 42 GPW and its for sure different than that plus i just purchased a 46 cj2a and it has the same xmember than yours.
Hi Thomas

Just to clear up your query. My "genuine" 1942 MB Willys Jeep is the same as the one Keith has. As far as I know Willys used the same cross member right through the war production and for a while afterwards.

Cheers

Tony
Old 11-04-12, 18:34
Ian Williams

Default Frames and other useful stuff

Hi Thomas,

I suggest you join a very useful forum G503. It covers all things Jeep and has many very well versed Jeep enthusiasts. Here's the link
http://g503.com/forums/index.php.
Willys have a round front cross-member. Ford's have a pressed U section.

Keith's earlier posts are correct.

If you're still unsure about the differences surf eBay and get the books 'All American Wonder Volumes 1&2 They describe in huge detail the Ford & Willys differences.

Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas L. View Post

F15A,
GPW
Other stuff
Old 11-04-12, 18:59
Ian Williams

Default A fwe pictures of My 1943 Ford Jeep

Ok Keith, FINALLY MLU is working, so As promised some pictures of my 1943 Ford Jeep.

Hope this works

F15A,
GPW
Other stuff

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 11-04-12 at 23:31. Reason: formatting
Old 11-04-12, 22:41
Ian Williams

Default Couple more

A few more.. Pretty original but a bit more rusty than Keith's

F15A,