MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 18-05-03, 06:49
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Network Help Needed BADLY!

OK guys.... I screwed up. Big time.

BACKGROUND: Two boxes upstairs, Win98 and XP Pro, connected through a 4-port SMC switch to my 4-port Linksys router (BEFSR41) downstairs, via my own computer (XP Pro) and connected to a DSL line through an EFFICIENT Speadstream 5360 DSL modem. It's worked finr since August last year. However...

MY SCREWUP: While we all use MSIE for browsing, I keep Nutscrape on our machines for (a), mail and (b), checking web pages we produce (web use is 90% MSIE now, but we have to account for the other few). A week ago I upgraded my MSIE to 6.026 (or whatever - the latest anyway), and no problems. Then I decided to upgrade my Nutscrape to 7.02. BIG mistake.

Suffice to say that this action SCREWED my machine (if a Netscape guy showed up at my door right now, I'd feed him his testicles severed with my extremely dull but original 1944 Fairbairn-Sykes commando knife). What happened was that after the usual reboot etc, it started taking up to FIVE minutes to load applications, and my local network connections were buggered. So...

WHAT I DID: I said "screw you AND the horse you rode in on", and uninstalled Nutscrape 7. No change in performance. I uninstalled my original Nutscrape 4.78, then reinstalled. No change. I reinstalled my MSIE 6.026 upgrade. No change (reboots in between btw).

Bright boy that I am, I said to myself, "Self, time to upgrade XP to SP1. That'll fix it." And I did. WOW! She booted, fast. Everything loaded, FAST. Cool. Problem solved.

Er.... except that now I had no connectivity through my router, and STILL couldn't see either of the other two machines on my network. Oops. Well, a reboot's in order I reckon...

WRONG. Sort of, anyway. Back to five minutes to load apps (with a 1.8 P4, 60Gb HD and 512Mb RAM?), internet connectivity HERE, but no connection to anyone else on the network. And here's a hoot... my Windows network setup shows Broadband DISCONNECTED, even as I submit this for your consideration!

Obviously my Windows is pooched and needs a fresh install. What I'd LIKE to do is somehow reestablish network connectivity so I can back up my machine on one of the others, then format and reload everything here (except Nutscrape, of course!). I can burn CDs if I have to, but the fact is, without internet access on the other two machines in the interim, I will likely get my balls chopped off and fed to the cats by three very pissed-off women in my house. This whole Nutscrape thing has obviously buggered some shared files, perhaps some WIndows DLL files, and certainly some network files.

BTW, is there any XP equivalent to the old 98 "SFC" application? That would probably solve most of my troubles.

WHAT HASN'T WORKED: Reloading My ISP's DSL software. Reloading the Linksys firmware (the first try even deprived me of I-access here on this machine, only got back here by connecting my machine directly to the DSL modem and re-reinstalling the ISP's software). In short, I'm SCREWED... and likely to be talking in a high voice before long, if I can't fix this (YOU try living in a house full of hormonal women!)

OK... so... HELP! Save my testicles! Seriously, I'm pulling my hair out by roots here....

I HATES THESE MEECES TO PEECES!
Old 18-05-03, 16:58
Real Deal Paintball

Default Yikes!

Geoff,

Being a former MS Support Engineer I read through your post and cringed. I was going to suggest calling MS if you have any support incidents (You get two free per product but if you don't have any, its probably not worth the $245 US they will nail you for) but seeing what you have tried, I think they will be suggesting FDisk. Calling Netscrape would do little but result in a homicide investigation.

Unfortunately I'm not too familiar with XP. I haven't had any need to upgrade, W2K works for me.

If I can think of anything else I'll post.

Dana
Old 20-05-03, 04:10
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Whew...........

Finally figured it out, thanks. Backup and reinstall everything on MY machine. move and reconfigure the I-connection to that of the Empress, reactivate all.

What a pain! Bloody weekend blown for... what?

Off to Tronna tomorrow at oh-dark-thirty, sorry, behind on my emails, if you need something from me have patience, it'll get there.

Damn, now I know why having IT staff might be a good thing...