MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 05-05-14, 20:29

Default GMC CCKW in Canadian Army

Hi,

A French owner of a GMC CCKW asked me if the Canadian Army during the WWII has had some of those trucks. I said no and trucks in this class were only CMPs. However, is it possible that the Canadian army of this era could borrow CCKWs and if so, does anyone have a picture to prove it?

Cheers
Old 06-05-14, 00:09

I do own a ex RCAF CCKW weather truck , still yellow with King's crown logo on the doors , truck was said to have been purchased by a surplus dealer in Jasper Ont. , first time I was there I saw the box from my truck but I would not own the truck for another 15 years , it spent it's life hauling lumber and is now only good for parts , I also remember a photo of a closed cab CCKW recovering a RCAF training aircraft in northern Ontario, the Brits also seemed to have used a few CCKW's early in England, now if we used them in Europe is still a question ,
regards Frank
Old 06-05-14, 01:02

Default CCKWs in Canadian Army Use

Unfortunately for the French owner of the GMC CCKW, this type of vehicle was not used by the Canadian Army in NW Europe during WWII. As well, there would not be a reason for the Canadian Army to 'borrow' one or conduct some sort of unofficial trade for one.

As for CCKW use in Canada, yes the RCAF used them as weather trucks, but this should not be taken as a indication that this type of vehicle saw any sort of widespread use with the Canadian Army.

The Canadian Army did use the CCKW in Korea.