MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 24-01-08, 04:25
M38CDN M37 M100 MJ TM

Default M38A1 machine gun mount.

I'm looking for the machine gun mount for a M38A1. This is the one that is attached to the right side of the vehicle.

Regards,
Al Nickolson
Attached Images

Old 24-01-08, 16:02
carrier mech

Here in Manitoba the FGH ones made it into the local military scrapyard. You would likely have to wait until spring to get one.....too damn cold here now.
I also have the CFTO detailing the installation of the mount if you need it when the time comes. The mounts were almost exclusively for the militia light recce jeeps, and not simply mounted on a whim to other unit's jeeps. I remember seeing one on a M151A2 when I was in Gagetown, but they weren't supposed to be installed on the thinner sheetmetal of the MUTT.
Of course, along with the MG mount, a recce jeep would also have to have the wire cutter installed on the front bumper (gives you something to shoot at).

I have the semi auto 1919A4 to go with my Jeep. When I take it to the local range, it is always a crowd pleaser, with a lineup of guys wanting to shoot it.

Last edited by rob love; 27-01-08 at 06:11.
Old 25-01-08, 03:15
M38CDN M37 M100 MJ TM

Default M38A1 Machine Gun Mount

Hi Rob,

I'll PM you with details.

Thanks, Al
Old 25-01-08, 03:43
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally posted by rob love
Of course, along with the MG mount, a recce jeep would also have to have the wire cutter installed on the front bumper (gives you something to shoot at).

Old 25-01-08, 03:52
carrier mech

Laugh if you will, it happened at least once. After that the guys would remove them when doing live fire.

The 1919 in semi auto is a hoot. Certain belts are exempt from the Cdn magazine regulations (5 rds for rifle mags, 10 rds for pistol mags). It's kind of nice not having to reload every 3 seconds. I run 250 round belts through mine, and have it tuned up so it usually runs pretty flawlessly.
Old 27-01-08, 01:32

Hi Rob,
Do you have the wire cutter as well?
Old 27-01-08, 06:08
carrier mech

Yes I do. It is visible on the front of the photo of my jeep. There are several dozen of these also at the same scrapyard. There were the ones taken off the FGH M38A1s, and later on off the FGH CJ7s, so there is a double helping of them.
If Gord Crossley sees this thread (he was in the Garrys forever it seemed) he would tell you that on the M38A1s, the wire cutter used to actually prevent the Jeeps from rolling over nose first. It had just enough resistance to usually get the Jeep to change it's mind about suntanning it's undercarriage.
The wire cutters were a pain in the ass on the CJ7s at the FGH. By then I had gone regular force as a mechanic, and would end up doing inspections back at the FGH McGregor armoury. Seemed like a lot of the Jeeps had flat tires for spares where the spare had never been off the spare tire carrier. Turns out that the longer length of the CJ7s required the guys to park them closer in the stable, and they would puncture the spare tire by backing up to the first Jeep in the bay.
If you know anyone with the CFTOs, it gave details of how to make the wire cutter. It would likely be cheaper to make them than to buy and mail an original.