MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 09-03-16, 10:56
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Kids making lathes

Did they have kids producing these basic lathes at technical schools here during WW2 ? . The cast logo is the Victorian Tech school logo

It is for sale on Gumtree

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hemma...ne-/1105935112
Attached Thumbnails
War finish plaque.jpg   War Finish screw machine.jpg  
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 09-03-16 at 11:31.
Old 09-03-16, 22:37
Terry Warner

The trainees were supporting the war effort. There is much to be learnt from making tools. I suppose the school itself had a significant workshop to be able to cast, turn and machine all the parts necessary.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 09-03-16, 23:16

Two possibilities come to mind, Mike: full production, or perhaps some parts and final assembly.

I have read of schools throughout England during the war being involved with wartime parts production in various forms. The pilot's seat for the Spitfire and/or Hurricane comes to mind as one example.

As Terry says, the layout of the shop probably determined what could be accomplished. If you have a technical school in your area that was around during the war, it might be worthwhile popping in one day and asking if they were involved at all with the war effort. You might get an interesting surprise.

David
Old 11-03-16, 00:50

I went to the Footscray Technical College in the early 60s and they had two excellent machine shops, moulding shop (casting in aluminium),welding shop, sheet metal shop and carpenters shops. I never heard of any participation in the war effort but that was 20 years previous and I don't know what capability there would have been at that time.
What I do know is that it is all gone now along with so many other technical schools and their facilities. Apparently it was decided at some point that we no longer needed skilled tradesmen.

David
Old 11-03-16, 01:44
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default History

Quote:
Originally Posted by motto View Post
I went to the Footscray Technical College in the early 60s and they had two excellent machine shops, moulding shop (casting in aluminium),welding shop, sheet metal shop and carpenters shops. I never heard of any participation in the war effort but that was 20 years previous and I don't know what capability there would have been at that time.
What I do know is that it is all gone now along with so many other technical schools and their facilities. Apparently it was decided at some point that we no longer needed skilled tradesmen.

David
Your school history ........... a bunch of misfits

http://www.vucentenary.com.au/our-story
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 11-03-16, 04:28

You're absolutely right Mike, I certainly wouldn't fit in there at all. it's way too academic now.
When I was attending FTC, Footscray and Maribyrnong were still heavily industrialised. The ordnance and ammunition factories were still substantial entities and you could often hear the machine guns test firing a mile or so away.
One of the highlights was a visit to the ammunition factory where we were strictly forbidden to take any samples but all walked out with jangling pockets. It's no wonder they wouldn't let us near the filling room or the live ammo.
Apologies for hijacking your thread, it jogged some memories.
Dave
The Misfit
Old 11-03-16, 09:11

Oh, what memories!!!! I was lucky to go to Aspendale Techinical School in the early 70's and the same, machine shops, automotive, plumbing, technical drawing and wood what a great school; a boys heaven. I learnt so many life skills as well as skills of the trade from the old TRADIES!!!!!!! The same tradies who clipped us across the ears and settled us down. Entered the trades and have never looked back. No sign of the war effort, although the old Assy Tech was only established in the late 60's never the less focused on training young people on being tradespeople. In the land of Aus I feel we sadly miss this type of education for our youth.
1 x 1945 FMC 1/4 Ton Trailer (restored)
1 x 1942 Bantam 1/4 Ton Trailer (restored)
Old 02-04-16, 03:50

Dave, I went to Bonbeach High in the 1980s; not far from Aspendale Tech. It was a sad day when Assy Tech closed, but those were the early days of the shift away from that type of education, more's the pity. Bonny High closed around the same time, a victim of falling enrollments and school mergers.

There was an us versus them thing with the Assy Tech kids, but we knew that the school produced well-educated and capable adults.
Old 07-05-16, 01:05

Some of the current thinking (that I see) is that, statistically, tertiary educated people are happier, so everyone should be tertiary educated and the nation will be a happier place. So, trade bound people should all study to become engineers. Therefore, the system is set up to push people toward tertiary and trade education, although it LOOKS like a priority (in QLD), is not seen as any real value.
The decision makers seem to have only a very tenuous grasp of the realities of life in this area. eg., for every engineer on a job, there needs to be many many tradesmen.
Education standards are going through the floor, and they don't seem to know why.
Ask a teacher, it's a no-brainer to us.

Sam, Manual Arts teacher in Queensland (ret.)
Old 08-05-16, 05:26
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Collingwood

Another example of School kids at work during WW2

http://metalworkforums.com/redirect-...62ef0a2431d4eb
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 08-05-16, 17:25
metal urgest

It was quite common to see machine tools that were made during the war sporting "War Finish" markings. Some even went as far as to explain that although it was not their standard finish, all critical fits and tolerances were guaranteed.