MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 01-02-04, 10:46

Default New Bloke - just in the SGT's Mess for a quick beer!

Greetings from a humid Sunday Sydney summer evening! As I get this out, the cecadas are singing, and the sun has just set. The ceiling fans are on, and a cold beer never felt so good.

Well, I am new here, and thought I'd get my first post out. I have had a look at this site, and its great. Very informative, and very well done!

When I lived in Saskatchewan Canada, I owned a 9/1952 M38A1 Jeep, fully restored, and used to be a member of the MVCC.

Back in Canada, I used to collect military small arms, and got to know a lot of Vets, and interesting people. Here I just stick to collecting bayonets now, as the laws in regarding firearms are, well simply too discouraging and depressing for law abiding citizens.

Being in Australia for almost 10 yrs, I have travelled throughout this vast southern land, exploring many of the now abandoned military sites, and really enjoy the North Fort at North Head, Sydney, where there is coastal gun positions, tunnels and a great museum, the national Royal Australian Artillery Museum.

There is an endless variery of military history in Sydney Harbour alone.

Also up at Newcastle, there is Fort Scratchley, where we managed to get a few 'shots' off when the Japs shelled Newcastle back in 1942. Its a good day out, and plenty of RAA and Naval history.

Should anyone ever make it down here, its also best to check out the War Memorial in Canberra, just a few hours down the road from Sydney.

Cheers,

Arte et marte!

Wes Allen,
Sydney

Last edited by RAEMETIFFYSGT; 01-02-04 at 10:55.
Old 01-02-04, 17:56
RIP

Default Black Watch Monument

Hi Wes,
If you get down to Sydney,check out the monument to The Black Watch-Royal 42nd Regiment of Canada,somewhere in Sydney.A friend of mine from Boston Mass.,was there on business a few years ago & brought me back a picture of the monument dedicated to the Royal Highlanders of Canada.Why in Australia?Still can't reason this one out cause they never served in the Pacific.
Old 02-02-04, 07:22

I live on Sydney's southern beaches, and I have never heard of this. Do you know where it is in Sydney? Let me know, and I'll post some pics of it here on the site.

There is a monument at Canada Bay to delinquent French Canadians who arrived here as convicts in the 1800's. Dedicated by the then Canadian Prime Minister, Pierre E. Trudeau in 1970.

There were Cdn troops here in Sydney during WW2. Mainly RCAF and RC Sig types at Moorebank, which is still an ADF site. This I know of for sure, as I have seen pics, and read about it.

I sure would like to have a squizz at the memorial you mentioned.

Keep in touch.

Cheers,

Wes
Old 02-02-04, 10:43
MLU Administrator

Thumbs up welcome!

Wes,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for all the pictures and information you already have uploaded in such a short time.
Have rotated a few of your shots, it's easier on the neck for those visitors not from down under

Regards,
Hanno
Old 02-02-04, 11:15

Thanks Mate!

Cheers, and thanks for the welcome.

Wes