MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 30-01-04, 03:08
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Movie Topic

I have been thinking about this, and will throw in my two-bits worth shortly... but IF you could make a full-length feature film about our shared genre, what topic would you choose, how would you approach it, and whom would you have starring in it?

Use your imagination. Your stars must still be alive. You have a 2-hour film to express yourself...
Old 30-01-04, 05:43
Art Johnson

Default movie

I'll get back on this but one of my ideas some years ago was a kids program named "Red Berret" my star was to be Gordon Pinset a former RCR paratrooper. He would be the host of the program and relate stories of the 1st Can Para.

2nd was a story simply named "2 November" it would relate the story of 2 platoon 2 RCR and their battle on 2 November 1951. I haven't figured a cast yet.
Old 30-01-04, 06:16
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Default CMP

"CMP, the history of Canada's wartime production". How's that sound Geoff?
Remember The Arrow? I would love to see an obviously condensed docudrama that highlighted the wartime contributions of the Big 3.
Old 01-02-04, 20:04

Default Canadian Film

Long have I wondered why Canada can't make a decent film about her military history. I compare us to Australia. Similar size, must compete with the monster that is Hollywood... yet the Australian film industry has turned out some of the best films dealing with "war" anywhere. Take the film Gallipoli - a truly great movie that manages to capture all the elements of war - comaraderie, tragedy, patriotism - a searing event in a colonial nation's history. Then, think of the CBC's production of "Dieppe" - Canada's own disastrous baptism (in Europe anyway). Gallipoli managed to make you feel the motivations of the soldiers, Dieppe simply spent too much time wallowing in the decisions made at the top - with a token group of Johnny Canucks to identify with. I still shudder at the memory of their depiction of the actual raid itself.

I feel that the new yardstick for depicting the experience of ground combat in WW ll is "Band of Brothers". Part of what made that work, apart from the 100 million dollar budget was the miniseries format. By watching the story span the war in Europe from D-Day to VE -day you had a better appreciation for the level of attrition as these characters endure there time on the line.

What would I like to see in a two hour format? I'd really like to see a decent depiction of Dieppe. Can anyone think of a really good Canadian production on our involvement in WWll? It certainly isn't for a lack of talent in the Canadian film industry - one of the two cinematographers on BoB was a Canadian, Joel Ransom.

Peter Nenadovich
Old 01-02-04, 20:35
Film maker, CMP addict

Default The Gregg doco

Not a feature film, but the one Andrew Gregg was trying to get up...
I'm planning to see him in Toronto and perhaps shoot an interview about his dad.

The shame is in spite of several attempts, Andrew was unable to get a Canadian broadcaster interested enough in their own history to do something on the phenomenon of the CMP.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 01-02-04, 22:03
Richard Notton

Default Re: Canadian Film

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Nenadovich

I feel that the new yardstick for depicting the experience of ground combat in WW ll is "Band of Brothers". Part of what made that work, apart from the 100 million dollar budget was the miniseries format. By watching the story span the war in Europe from D-Day to VE -day you had a better appreciation for the level of attrition as these characters endure there time on the line.

What would I like to see in a two hour format? I'd really like to see a decent depiction of Dieppe.
Peter and Geoff (who posed the question in the first place),

BoB succeded for many reasons, perhaps a written and detailed first-hand record for reference; and a real military man as a tech adviser who was allowed to both advise, act, and train the players. Of interest the actors were made to live like WWII soldiers for some time previously and actually self-generated their own band of brothers. Also of interest is the use of minor actors who really tried hard and of course we didn't immediately see them as household figures, surprisingly almost all were British too.

They did well with the vehicles generally for the larger audience although I believe all the Shermans were actually Canadian Grizzlies, half-tracks were IHC and never used by the US and of course the first glimpse of a 432 sprocket masquerading as a StuG III tends to spoil the effect for the admitted MV anorak. Then of course some of us knew which German truck "The Baron Paulus von Hocking" was driving. . . . . . . . . . .

Dieppe, now don't get me started; I think the "establishment" here wouldn't allow a truthfull depiction of the senior commander or his incompetence and arrogant chicanery.

Geoff and I have been here before, I'd like to see an accurate dramatisation of the events around Caen which seems to be either a forgotten or wholly mis-understood area. Correctly done though the censor will have trouble perhaps, since the struggles here surpassed the previous carnage yardstick of The Somme.

However, without an American interest, and therefore Hollywood multi-millions, it seems likely to never happen.

R.
Old 02-02-04, 19:42

Default Film

I'd like to do a film set in southern England showing Canadian 1st Div during 1940. You could have all the real drama and intrigue of that long summer and autumn set against the back drop of the English country side in summer filled with 11 cab CMP's and mega rare British trucks. What more do you need?

The 1st Div were all around us here at Oxford during the summer before they moved south and east to the south coast around Arundel I think

Pete
PS I'd want a walk on part in that !!!!
Old 02-02-04, 23:07
MLU Administrator

Default Re: 1st Div during 1940

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete Ashby
I'd like to do a film set in southern England showing Canadian 1st Div during 1940.
Pete, I think if you include their short Cook's tour into France, the story for a great movie is there. Reading this, it got my imagination going at least.
Old 04-02-04, 00:12

Thumbs up Ripper idea

Hanno

you can have a part in my film as a free Dutch officer.

All we need now is Spielberg to put up the money

Pete
Old 04-02-04, 01:01
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Not to mention

Jif as the hardened Canuck RSM, David Hayward as the English gentleman officer or inventor, Euan as the larrikin Aussie who's a real daredevil when driving a CMP, Max Hedges as a Carrier driver (you might need to dye your hair, Max), Bob Moseley as the lovable rogue who's making deals on the side, Jon Skagfeld as the communiucations officer, and of course we need a love interest... hmmmmm how about the RSM and the MLU Empress get it together in the end...

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 04-02-04, 02:22
Empress Julia

Default Re: Not to mention

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
Jif as the hardened Canuck RSM, David Hayward as the English gentleman officer or inventor, Euan as the larrikin Aussie who's a real daredevil when driving a CMP, Max Hedges as a Carrier driver (you might need to dye your hair, Max), Bob Moseley as the lovable rogue who's making deals on the side, Jon Skagfeld as the communiucations officer, and of course we need a love interest... hmmmmm how about the RSM and the MLU Empress get it together in the end...
Couldn't I be involved with someone...ummmm...let's say a bit less 'experienced'? The new & improved Empress could trade said RSM in for 2 25-yr-old privates... did I say privates?

Julia
Old 04-02-04, 10:40
RIP

Quote:
Bob Moseley as the lovable rogue who's making deals on the side
Hey Keefy, I don't look anything like this bloke.

Quote:
All we need now is Spielberg to put up the money
And Pete, Keefy has the camera and his Company has almost as many resources as Spielberg.

Claude Jeremiah Bob
Attached Images

Old 04-02-04, 11:58
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Not to mention

Quote:
Originally posted by Empress Julia
Couldn't I be involved with someone...ummmm...let's say a bit less 'experienced'? The new & improved Empress could trade said RSM in for 2 25-yr-old privates... did I say privates?

Julia
Hmmmm, as I recall not long after the attached image was taken and some further additional lubrication of the esteemd Ball-Spinny, plus several more concave cheek sucking exercises on those namby-pamby ciggies with the added silencers/mufflers; you had a huge job just fitting and cajoling our revered leader's diminuitive form into the car. We nearly had to enlist the assistance of the other auspicious people in the entourage if you remember.

P'raps a bit more practice at home with Binnington-Wall himself first before taking on the 25yr old privates might be advisable perchance.

R.
Attached Thumbnails
gwb.jpg  
Old 04-02-04, 22:38

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Moseley

Claude Jeremiah Bob
Bob,

and do you drive an old Morris Commercial truck ?

Richard
Old 05-02-04, 09:52
RIP

Default What I Drive

Hi Richard

This is what I drive - ANYWHERE I WANT.

C.J Bob
Attached Thumbnails
bcoot.jpg