MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 13-03-04, 18:34
RIP

Default Pilot wants to raise another Halifax Bomber

Montreal Gazette,Monday,March 08/04.
Karl Kjarsgaard,who brought home the Halifax bomber to Trenton,is on the trail of a complete plane that crash landed in the Atlantic west of Ireland & floated for 7 hours before sinking in 1945.This is a Canadian bomber that flew 28 missions before being turned over to the RAF for anti-submarine patrols.It will be destined for the Nanton museum out west.The aircraft was piloted for eleven missions by Russel Earl of Calgary.The aircraft LW170 sprang a fuel leak while on a routine mission & was such a perfect ditching that there was no external damage.
To see more go to:
http://members.rogers.com/karlkj
Old 14-03-04, 10:52

Default Interesting

I have heard of this aircraft before and while it would be nice to see another Halifax in preservation I think the chances of finding much(if anything) of this one are slim.the last one they raised was from a lake,which means no salt water and no tide action.

I know just how powerful the Irish sea is and I would be very surprised if they can find it at all,if it still exists. while on the subject of Halifax bombers,I think it is a great shame that the one in the RAF museum has been left un-restored.surely the funding could be found to rebuild it?
Matt.