MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 21-04-04, 05:48
Militariaguy

Default WS-19 Set Canvas Cover?

Hi Fellas.....can anyone describe or show a diagram or photo of what the canvas cover for the WS-19 looks like? Just purchased the radio but havn't a clue what the cover looks like.
Cheers for now,Mike.
:
Old 21-04-04, 23:22
T-16, C15A

Default Cover Pix

Michael,

I think that there were a number of slightly different covers. I have scans of a few - from eBay ( where they go for more money than I want to spend - this is why I have pix, and no cover).

Do you plan to get your set working?

Stewart

This cover is a "Wireless Set No. 19. Covers Waterproof No.1"
Attached Images

Old 21-04-04, 23:23
T-16, C15A

Default Another Cover

Here a scan of a Cover No. 5.

Stewart
Attached Images

Old 22-04-04, 05:04
Militariaguy

Hi Stew.....Yes apparently this thing works...I just picked it up about an hour ago...what a pile of stuff!!!....boxes,tubes ,parts,dogbones,headsets,Variometer, intercom and radio all sitting on a big heavy mount. A little overwhelming for a non- radio guy but the WS-19 web site is helping me figure it out. I ,ve bought some canvas stuff on Ebay and one item appears to be similar to what you,ve posted here.Maybe I,ve unwittingly found the canvas cover....will see when it gets here. Thanks a bunch Stew.
Old 22-04-04, 05:22
Militariaguy

Heres a photo of the cover
Attached Images

Old 22-04-04, 05:35
Militariaguy

Default WS-19

Heres some of the gear I picked up.
Attached Thumbnails
19 set radio.jpg  
Old 22-04-04, 13:05
T-16, C15A

Default Etobicoke?

Mike,

I think I remember seeing that one at the latest Etobicoke show - it looks like a nice one.

Stewart

PS - are you coming out with your service rifle to the Gun Club on the 19th of June?
Old 22-04-04, 14:25
M38A1 CDN3

Default N0 19 set canvas cover

Michael: first of all, congratulations for obtaining an almost complete 19 set station...now you'll be on the hunt for 20' and 34' masts, horizontal aerial sets etc etc etc. I highly recommend Louis Meulstee's book on British Radio Sets. It has a fairly large section on 19s, including check lists, antenna arrays, etc etc etc. for really great reference material.

If using the No 5 cover,(and perhaps any canvas cover) you''ll have to relocate the vario to the side, not the top as shown. Also, depending on installation you might mount the crystal calibrator on the left hand side and mount the vario elsewhere.

Lucky bugger!

Old 22-04-04, 15:41
T-16, C15A

Default Speaking of Lucky Buggers ...

Jon,

I have a small present for you the next time that I see you.

Stewart
Old 22-04-04, 18:19
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default 19 set

Although the 19 set is a nice bit of historical kit , they were not the most user friendly thing to play with .

The Mk 3 version ( which Michael has I think ) is the best one as the Canadian built mk 3's have a vibrator running the receiver .The earlier Mk 2 's have the large genemotor whizzing around all the time , flattening your battey in no time .

The 19 set was designed to be good enough to ' just do the job 'and thats all , in other words it was a mass produced item with borderline specifications . How they managed to use them in a mobile tank , I will never know .

The VHF B sets were so bad , a very crude design not worth the trouble .

With the A set - If you detuned the PA tune dial slightly , you would transmit out on 455 odd KHZ ( the IF ) from your desired frequency .

A big trap for the uninitiated !

Mike
Old 23-04-04, 03:40
Militariaguy

Thanks Fellas....Yeah Stew I,ll be at the service rifle shoot with some new toys.I,m taking some of your flyers to the Pickering show next Sat. Clint sent them over. Actually ,this set came from a local "gun " guy in London and not Etobicoke although I did see the one at Etobicoke and it was a nice one. Thanks for the info Jon, I presume you have one of these humming away at your place. How do you have yours set up and what are you using as a power source in your home? I,m going to mock up this radio in a display with some CAC types on Mannequins until I buy Stew's carrier, but would like to have it fire up from time to time. Will keep an eye out for the masts you mentioned. I think ole Stew got a base unit a few weeks back. I can really understand how addictive these old units can be.
Cheers,Guys, Mike.
Old 23-04-04, 03:43
Militariaguy

Default book

Oh ....I almost forgot ,Jon...The book you mentioned...Is it still in print? Is this something I can find at a show or maybe carried by someone online?

Cheers,Mike.
Old 23-04-04, 15:56
M38A1 CDN3

Default WS No 19

Michael...

I've got mine set up in the ground station role on the wooden base which has handles. The canvas cover No 5 has "T" cut outs at either end in order to accommodate the handles and then snap fasten together. I use a CPP-2 "rectifier" (more like a step down transformer) which can be easily converted from 12V to 24V.
Now that good weather is upon us, I'm deciding which kind of antenna array I'll use. Currently I've got Bell wire strung around the radio room attached to a piece of stub antenna. Works good, I listen to BBC World Service regularly.

The canvas cover No 1 seems to be applicable to other than ground station role in that the cover looks like it will cover the PS and RT only... the vario and calibrator would (probably) be turret mounted elsewhere with appropriate cabling. The heavy cast mount which takes the PS and RT would seem to be applicable to this kind of installation.

The Book, the "Bible"...
Wireless for the Warrior, Volume 2, ISBN 1898805 10 5
Order from: Direct Book Service
Allen House
East Borough
Wimborne
Dorset BH21 1PF, England
Phone: 01202 881749

A google search will get you an on-line order page.

Cheers, and have you heard about the Chatsworth bash at the end of June? If interested, e-mail off forum and I'll provide you with details. Looks like Stewart Loy is attending this year, among many others.
Old 23-04-04, 16:35
M38A1 CDN3

Default Further book info

Michael:

http://home.wxs.nl/~meuls003/volume_2.html

As an Australian once posted on this forum..."It's worth every Pommy pound!)
Old 24-04-04, 02:31
Militariaguy

Thanks for that Jon...will order up a copy. I,ll email you re: the show you mentioned. I kind of like the current mounting on the cast mount so maybe I,ll attach the Calibrator to the left side of the PSU and keep the cover as supplementary kit for displays and such. Its kind of like building a small block chevy...endless amounts of bolt on kit in different configs,, I,m really gonna like this I think.God I feel another "BUG" coming on! My wife is gonna be thrilled haha!

Cheers! Mike.
Old 24-04-04, 14:57

Cheers, and have you heard about the Chatsworth bash at the end of June? If interested, e-mail off forum and I'll provide you with details. Looks like

Hi Jon
Don't call it the Chatsworth bash. I used the words "Caldwell Shindig" and was chastized privately by a certain individual. The proper terminology, and we must of course be proper, is CC-3 or Caldwell-Convoy shindig. Hope this helps you escape the wrath.
Barry
Old 24-04-04, 18:23
In Vino Veritas

Default Re: 19set

Got mine a couple months or so ago from a chap. It was cheap but its missing lots of kit to make it run. I'm going to find a copy of that book also, and a copy of the working instructions for the MKIII. I would like to get mine working and attempt communications with it from the arctic. It would be a nice change to get more than one radio station , local one at that. Though I know beans about radios, I can read manuals.
Sean

PS: oh , and its going to mount in the carrier eventually kind of like a walkman..but cooler
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 05-05-04, 04:48
Militariaguy

Hey Jon...picked up the 34' mast anttenna at Pickering.....also the spike for going into the earth.There is apparently another piece that fits at the base of the mast...do you have a photo,drawing or description of this missing piece.Going to try to buy the 20' mast as well.
Cheers,Mike.
Old 05-05-04, 13:12
T-16, C15A

Default Insulator Base

Mike,

The intermediate component of which you speak is a big ceramic insulator.

I got one a few weeks ago. I would take a few snaps of it and post them - but I am in Maryland until the 14th. I will do it when I return to civilization.

Regards,

Stewart
Old 05-05-04, 17:00
M38A1 CDN3

Default Antenna Stuff

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Reintjes
Hey Jon...picked up the 34' mast anttenna at Pickering.....also the spike for going into the earth.There is apparently another piece that fits at the base of the mast...do you have a photo,drawing or description of this missing piece.Going to try to buy the 20' mast as well.
Cheers,Mike.
Looks like Stewart will send you the pic of the Base, Aerial. They're rather scarce.

Now the fun begins...regarding antenna arrays...you'll be looking for guy assemblies, "F" section adapter, cable RF RG-58U (50'), etc, etc, You'll find the complete station check list in Meulstee's book.

The above is for a vertical mast arrangement. If you're anticipating a horizontal antenna array, you'll require both masts, but only the mast (34') closest to the set needs the Aerial Base. The other end will have just the 20' mast and a ground spike. However, in between, you'll need horizontal antennae which are cut to resonate at the various 19 set frequencies. There are 6 of these, ranging from 70' to 250', so, unless you've some property, you'll most likely go for the vertical arrangement.

Hours of prowling through Vol II of "Wireless for the Warrior" will make sense of all of the above.

Cheers...and welcome to the "club"!
Old 05-05-04, 22:21
Old Sigs Type

Default 19 Set Info ...

For all you lucky owners of the Wireless Set No. 19, you may find the following link very useful:

http://www.qsl.net/ve3bdb/

Incidentally, this is first HF set that I learned to operate back in '61.

Old 06-05-04, 00:17
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: 19 Set Info ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank Misztal
For all you lucky owners of the Wireless Set No. 19, you may find the following link very useful:

http://www.qsl.net/ve3bdb/

Incidentally, this is first HF set that I learned to operate back in '61.

For Michael: enter that web site at your peril, for dragons be there!

If you're not hooked now, you will be doomed after reading all this good stuff.

VA3 CIC
Old 08-05-04, 01:50
Militariaguy

Thanks guys for the kind words...that site is a great one and very addictive.I can't wait to get the book and get this baby humming away.I think I,ve got a line on some guys and 20' mast as well.Just have to drag it all home and get it down to my armoury without my wife seeing more "large dusty metal items" entering the house. I really need my own entrance to the basement.
Thanks again fellas,I,ll post a photo of all the new gear when I get it for your perusal.
Cheers,Mike.
Old 19-05-04, 05:45
Militariaguy

Default MORE GEAR

Heys there fellas...here's some more gear that just arrived..some thanks to Robert Dabkowski.....34' mast, two 20' masts(in original WW2 Crate) and a pile of guy ropes. Still need some stuff but getting there...hope to fire it up soon.
Cheers,Mike.
Attached Images

Old 19-05-04, 05:50
Militariaguy

Antennas
Attached Thumbnails
20\' and 34\' antennas.jpg