Old 16-02-06, 19:50
Love CMP Military Vehicles

Default Military Vehicle Signs

Hello all

as I can best Vehicle Signs manufacture I need the

the brouwn 69 and the yellow wyvern with the blue

background

Who can i made it the best

Last edited by Marco C.; 16-02-06 at 20:29.
Old 28-02-06, 15:31
1942 C15A

Default Vehicle Signs

Greetings . I am also IDing my C15A . I needed to paint on the backgrounds and unit serial number and Division sign .

I did a recon and found that for front of British GS trucks , there should be a 9-inch wide x 8.5-inch tall brown square on drivers side for 2nd Bn Argyll & Sutherland , junior battalion , 227th Brigade , which is also is a " 69 " , that being not more than 7-inches tall . The Div sign background is same dimension but black colored on the passenger side and at least a 1-inch black border space around the 7-inch diameter yellow disc with red rampant lion figure for 15th Scottish Division .

I found various sites online with the 15th Div sign on them , printed them , took them to a copier and copied until I had the dimensions close enough to what I wanted .

For the " 69 " I simply did about the same and used a little freehand drawing technique to get the unit serial number about the same size as the red rampant lion .

Use the blue painter tape if available , the pale sort of tape pulls paint off truck body , when taping off your stencil or pattern .

IDing the back of this truck was not the same due to space available on the tailgate . I went with 6-inch x 6-inch brown and black backgrounds with corresponding number or symbols that I reduced on a copy machine to fit the backgrounds .

For British vehicles the black & rampant lion was on drivers side , the brown and 69 was on passenger side , reversed as it were .

Canadian vehicles had serial numbers and Div signs on same ends front and back . But that is not entirely true as some of my research bore out . Seemed to be a bit different from unit to unit , perhaps by OC directive .

Also , when one looks at photos of soldiers and their vehicles , one must be sure that one sees the mens jackets or garments overlapping , buttoning left over right and then you can be sure the image in not reversed . Sounds kooky , yes ? But there it is .

Not sure what space is available on a UC , front or back , suggest a good look at period pics , Mate .

I thought I would paint up a set or two of metallic plates for easier removal , and just paint over anything I had actually painted on the truck body .

I will try to put a pic or two of the finished product up soon . Hope that helps .

Cheers , Johnnie .
Old 28-02-06, 18:23

In 43rd Recce where I have close contacts with the veterans, each squadron had its own nominated sign writer who painted signs free hand.

Numbers were most probably stenciled, but with div signs, I would assume most units hand painted.
Old 28-02-06, 20:57
Colin Reilly

This may help, although a BSA M20 site the info on the sheets should give you the (Official) sizes etc when it comes to the letters/numbers.

http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/ahum/markings.htm

The page also gives you a basic idea of the colour of the gas detector paint which was applied to vehicles.