MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 13-06-12, 11:40
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Book: 'AIR WAR DIARY'

Hi

I've been wanting to read this book for ages . I met the author back in 1975 , through a mutual interest in fly fishing, he had written quite a few books on that topic . David Scholes was a gifted writer and aviator . His wartime story is published in diary form , as he wrote it at the time .

I finally tracked down a copy through the local library. It's a great read . He wrote that his survival was down to 80% skill and 20% luck. He witnessed so many deaths through , in his opinion, sheer stupidity . Many prangs happened during training on Wellingtons and Stirlings particularly. He was always 100% prepared and well genned up on flying and all its complications and dangers .

He and his crew survived 30 missions flying Lancasters from Skellingthorpe with 61 squadron RAF. His crew were all Aussies except for the bomb aimer . In the book, there are many thoughts expressed on the English and US populace and their various good and bad habits !

He was 20 years old at the time .
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 13-06-12 at 11:47.
Old 13-06-12, 19:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
He witnessed so many deaths through , in his opinion, sheer stupidity . Many prangs happened during training on Wellingtons and Stirlings particularly. He was always 100% prepared and well genned up on flying and all its complications and dangers .
From what I've read Mike, a lot of this stupidity was on the part of British instructors, certainly on fighters anyway. They'd send trainees up in all sorts of weather in Spits and Hurricanes, when the fastest thing they'd ever flown was a Miles Master. "Familiarization" consisted of strapping the trainee in the cockpit and briefly pointing out a few instruments and controls before take off. The trainee would be terrified but he knew if he refused to go up or even baulked at the idea, he'd be kicked off the course and written up as LMF. A lot of them died on that first flight.

As well as excessive losses in training, evidence suggests LMF reports were excessive too. In one 8 month period in '44/45, 500 of 627 RCAF cases were reported during training in Britain. So it wasn't the enemy they were scared of, it was flying in training that terrified them. Their instructors were trying to kill them!

Apparently a lot depended on which instructor you got, and some them were mongrels by all accounts. They hated "colonials", and as long serving pre-war RAF pilots they resented these upstart EATS youngsters.

I haven't encountered such criticisms of bomber training, so maybe things were better there. Especially with the instructor in the cockpit, not safely on the ground!
Old 13-06-12, 20:37
WO8 C15A 142736

There is a copy on e-pay at the moment $45.00 Buy it now.
Old 14-06-12, 02:48
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default comments

hi Tony

Your comments line up very well with what this author has written .Putting things into perspective, these were kids flying huge complicated machines . One mistake with a fuel switch or a flap position could be deadly .

I read a couple of his fishing books while still at high school , in form 2 . In 1975 I was living in an abandoned farm house in Northern Tasmania , alongside the Liffey river . I had been tipped off that D Scholes frequently fishes this stream. One day, while hitch hiking into Bracknell,I spotted a white Citroen , it turned down the track, the track to my abode ! Could it be him ! I made a hasty walk back to the house , at least 1/2 a mile . No one in sight . I was standing in front of the house , I heard a car approach from the paddock , way down . He had driven past the house to take a peak at the stream . Two occupants in the car - D Scholes and his wife . After initial hellos , I remarked "Are you David Scholes" His wife was rather shocked and wanted to know how I knew . "Ive got all your books" . He signed the books on the spot . We all sat down on an old log and chin wagged .

They gave me a lift into Bracknell , he drove rather too fast and we almost cleaned up a mob of sheep being taken across the narrow road . I think he thought he was still in a Lancaster the way he drove . He showed off the Citroens up/down adjustable suspension , proudly . I was invited up to his house for lunch, anytime he said . I did do the lunch and he was very nice . I was 19 and I had the personality of a stone statue , but he was the type of person who would get on with anyone .

Robert, yes the book turns up on EBAY, but I'll find one in a op shop for $2 ..one day
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 14-06-12 at 02:59.
Old 14-06-12, 11:22
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default pics

I scanned a few pics
Attached Thumbnails
scholes3.JPG   scholes4.JPG  
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 14-06-12, 21:17

That's a great story Mike. Who'd have believed he'd turn up on your doorstep in the backblocks of Tassie to sign your books!