MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 31-07-05, 20:18

Default Identification of a Bedford truck

Hi.

I'm hoping someone can identify a Bedford truck, which I believe may be a RLHC3. From the understanding I've gained from http://www.fleetdata.co.uk/bedfordchassis.html, this doesn't make sense as a model number.

Unfortunately, the chassis plate isn't clear - it's certainly an ex-military vehicle, and the distinguishable letters are "??HC3 ???62" (? mark the unreadable letters).

Photos of the truck, including one of the chassis plate, can be found at http://photos.arm.linux.org.uk/2005/winch/. It's in a rather sorry state, and the rear has been replaced by a winch for launching gliders.

I hope members with a similar trucks can assist with identifying it.

Thanks.
Old 31-07-05, 20:37

Default Re: Identification of a Bedford truck

Quote:
Originally posted by rmk
I'm hoping someone can identify a Bedford truck, which I believe may be a RLHC3.

Unfortunately, the chassis plate isn't clear - it's certainly an ex-military vehicle, and the distinguishable letters are "??HC3 ???62" (? mark the unreadable letters).
Rmk,

Your Bedford is an RL, the HC3 part denotes spec. that it is built too. R being 4x4 version of S type and L being long wheelbase. I do not think it is ex-army due to the flap over the rad cap being small. The military version had a large cover fitted with Dzus fasteners to acces the FV type oil bath air cleaner. That said, the RAF sometimes had civvy spec vehicles and a glider winch would certainly be among their vehicles. The engine fitted is a Bedford 300ci petrol, standard fitting for army.

The RLHC was a special application chassis supplied only with cab, my feeling is that it is not army, but may be RAF. Is there any clue with paint colour below top coat?
Richard
Old 01-08-05, 17:57

Default Re: Re: Identification of a Bedford truck

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Farrant
The engine fitted is a Bedford 300ci petrol, standard fitting for army.

Is there any clue with paint colour below top coat?
Thanks Richard, that's most helpful. I'll see if there's any clues to its origin below the top coat.

However, I'm trying to locate spares for the engine, particularly the head gasket. I have been asked for the engine number, but all the currently visible locations on the block seem rather devoid of any number. Does anyone know where I might find this?

Thanks, Russell.
Old 01-08-05, 21:28

Default Re: Re: Re: Identification of a Bedford truck

Quote:
Originally posted by rmk
However, I'm trying to locate spares for the engine, particularly the head gasket. I have been asked for the engine number, but all the currently visible locations on the block seem rather devoid of any number. Does anyone know where I might find this?

Russell,

I built an untold number of RL engines while working for the army some years ago, so am quite familiar with them. There are at least 3 different head gaskets from memory and different sized head studs. The engine number is stamped on the block flange holding the sump, possibly on the distributor side (?). The main source of spares now, is Bedford Genuine Parts, they are located in Kent, but sell through their dealer network. I used to work with one of the guys who is now there and they are still keen to assist on your model of Bedford. Check out their website;
www.bedfordgenuineparts.com

Richard
Old 04-08-05, 13:42

Richard,

Thanks again for your help.

The only evidence of previous finish seems to be some red paint on the cab. I doubt this helps identify it's previous use.

I've located the engine number now - RL3/40911. However, the engine number hasn't assisted any of the suppliers in identifying the correct head gasket. I've tried a number of people such as Vass, Bedford Genuine Parts, Sutton Rebore.

One supplier in Norfolk has identified it as being a "later" engine on account of 4 studs holding the carburettor to the inlet manifold, which narrows it down to one of two possibilities. However, I'm told that the head gasket can be identified by the number of "bumps" on the top surface.

Also, they mentioned that they had liners for the engine. Would that match your recollection?

Lastly, we have to replace the front and rear wheel brake cylinders - apart from a suitable jack, would any special tools be required for this job, ie removing the pull-off springs from the brake shoes?

Any hints or tips, etc would be gratefully received.

Thanks, Russell.
Old 04-08-05, 21:52

Quote:
Originally posted by rmk

I've located the engine number now - RL3/40911.

Also, they mentioned that they had liners for the engine.

Lastly, we have to replace the front and rear wheel brake cylinders - apart from a suitable jack, would any special tools be required for this job, ie removing the pull-off springs from the brake shoes?

Any hints or tips, etc would be gratefully received.
Russell,

Casting my mind back over 20 years, I remember the early engines had long through head studs, copper coated as they went through the water gallery. The head nuts on this type were cap type and thread size was I think, 1/2". You can identify from outside by these nuts which although looking like a bolt head, are deeper. This engine also had loose fitting liners which would lift if head was removed and crank turned. Next type was fitted with 9/16" studs and nuts. Last one that I remember was 5/8" studs, I am sure yours is not that late, I think it may be the middle one.

Try contacting Ditton Service Station near Maidstone. Dealt in Bedfords for years and still a supplier of parts. A good contact there, used to be Graham.

Brakes.....rear cyls can be changed without removing hubs, front is conventional requiring hub removal. Ideally you need a special Bedford hub nut tool. You ought to consult a manual for the correct procedure for the rear cyls.

Just found an old Bedford service bulletin detailing different stud sizes and gasket numbers, rather than confuse you, it would be best if you could identify the stud size by removing a head nut and also check to see if the rocker shaft is in three parts or one long shaft.

Richard

Last edited by Richard Farrant; 04-08-05 at 22:37.
Old 04-08-05, 23:15

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Farrant
The head nuts on this type were cap type and thread size was I think, 1/2". You can identify from outside by these nuts which although looking like a bolt head, are deeper.
I think this image may help identify the nut:

Thanks, Russell.
Old 04-08-05, 23:20

Quote:
Originally posted by rmk
I think this image may help identify the nut:
Russell,

It would be best to remove a nut to measure stud because I think they are all cap nuts but of differing thread sizes, also note my remarks on the rocker shaft.

Richard
Old 19-08-05, 13:14

Hi Guys,

Now we are getting into the nitty gritty of RL beddys

Richard your memory seems to be spot on, may I add that the engine numbers stamped RL..... were parcular to the RL 4x4's.

There was three different model engines early, middle and late, the latter being a freeflow design. I think they had the extra whelch plug in the rear of the cylinder head, as well as the other details you have mentioned.

Now I'm not saying I know it all, that I would have to leave for my dad, he is the one I would ask next time I see him.

Have now increased our beddy stable, last count was 15

Cheers and Beers,

Brent Delaney.
BANTAM T3
F60L Holmes Wrecker
AMG M816 x2
AMG M818 x2, M127 x2
5.5 Howitzer
M41A1 Walker Bulldog
Old 19-08-05, 14:03

Hi guys,

Thanks for your help so far, it's been very useful. Things are going to be taking a rest for a while since the winch on the back of this Bedford needs to be used for at a temporary site for the remainder of the gliding season in the UK.

If operations at this site are successful, it is likely that we will be overhauling the Bedford engine with a view to resolving some of the problems it currently has. I'm uncertain exactly when this will happen though.

Thanks, Russell.
Old 22-08-21, 09:02

Hi
I came across this Bedford bus ( I think) ex army?
I will try and get more info.
So any ideas on year or model,

sorry could not uploadaaagh!

the rear axle has 706654 57 samped on it.
regs
rupert
Old 22-08-21, 13:04
MLU Administrator

Default Uploading photos

Rupert,

Please read http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...600#post190600
Old 23-08-21, 04:58

Whew,
well I am trying again so pictures do down load,
IMG_8684 (2).jpg

too many pixels so the picyure is a bit small, but as all thats let is the front section, O Type
Old 24-08-21, 09:53
Bluebell

Russell, I think you can assume yours is the last engine type.
Your engine number is 40xxx and the changes accured at 33000 and then again at 36320, if I am understanding correctly

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 24-08-21, 10:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupert condick View Post
Whew,
well I am trying again so pictures do down load,
Attachment 124269

too many pixels so the picyure is a bit small, but as all thats let is the front section, O Type
That looks like a Bedford M type, lower payload than an O type. You can distinguish it by longer bonnet and different pattern of louvres on side panels.

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor