MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 25-09-14, 18:02
Richard Harrison

Default Cam setup advice ?

Hey folks, I have been setting up the carrier brakes etc which are perfect now, but noticed that part of my previous woe's were also related to the cam... One roller had moved 10mm clear of the cam ! I re adjusted the rollers ( the inner one is an absolute pig to get to) then crossed them both down with a socket and bar, checked they were both in contact with the cam in it's neutral position.

I then made a couple of turns in the carrier and noticed I had no warp steer... Sure enough the rollers were away from the cam again.

Any idea's ? Am I missing something ?

__5th Div___46th Div__
1942 Ford Universal Carrier No.3 MkI*
Lower Hull No. 10131
War Department CT54508 (SOLD)
1944 Ford Universal Carrier MkII* (under restoration).
1944 Morris C8 radio body (under restoration).
Old 25-09-14, 18:27
carrier mech

The blocks which attach to the tube are bore aligned, much like a piston rod, or a ferret transmission mount. They must be kept together and in the same directions that they were made. If it is your blocks that actually moved away, then perhaps that is your problem.

If it was the adjusting bolts turning, then they just have to be tighter. And yes, that inner one is a bitch to get to. You almost need to pull the rad and the oil cooler to do it properly. I would do what you have to do to tighten that one up first, then tighten the second one.

You have my sympathies in all this. Doing those adjustments in a carrier that is already put together is a much younger man's game. 15 years ago I was doing one when I was still in the service (it was a museum piece, I am not that old) and I had to get one of the young female gunners to come over and reach in to install the bolts on that inner one. My hands were just too large.

I note the British army does not use females in the front line jobs. The are irreplaceable for this kind of work.
Old 25-09-14, 20:32
Lew Skelton

Default You are not wrong

I was on a workshop preparing a number of LAV to go out of NZ, customs wanted lots of things taken apart just because! So who best to get into those fiddly bits, female soldiers. They commented at the time that they really enjoyed the work.
Just to prove that I'm still flexable enough I took the dizzy off my carrier engine last week and re fitted it after replaceing the condensor all with the engine covers in place. Thats an experience i hopefully wont need to do again for a while.