MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 07-01-21, 03:17
Lionel G. Evans

Default Tool Boards: Peg Board or French Cleat

Hello All,

Just wondering what sort of wall based tool storage system do you use in your workshops? Do you use Peg Boards or French Cleats? Or is there another system out there?

I have a two forms of storage. One is a metal framed shed that is clad with contoured sheet metal cladding. The other form of storage involves a couple of shipping containers. I have installed pallet racking and adjustable metal shelving for the bulk of my storage.

There are some sections of empty wall left that I started using a commercial rail based system to sort out some gardening tools (pictured). I should add, it is a very expensive system that I thought I would see how good it was. I also used some wall-mounted bulk bins for storing nuts and bolts on another section of wall. To fill in some empty spaces left in between where some of the garden tools are hanging, I have drilled some holes to use pegboard hooks to hang some small hand-tools off.

This video starts with a person removing an existing pegboard wall and converting the wall to a French cleat based system. Accessed 12th January 2021 from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzd0dxziyIs My apologies for the advertisements within the video clip. I have no association with the companies or the presenter.

So are you a peg board or a French cleat based person? Or do you use a different time of system - if so what is it?

Kind regards
Lionel
Attached Thumbnails
Rail System.jpg  
Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2

Last edited by Lionelgee; 07-01-21 at 03:28.
Old 07-01-21, 04:27
Terry Warner

Default Yard tool storage

My shed is considerably smaller than a sea container, and one that I came with the property. Seeing as it is steel vs the more familiar resin now, I've been doing small repairs to keep it in service as long as I can. But, it is small (did I say that already?).

I have a few dedicated crate boxes for sitting bigger things, but open fronts like bookshelves. One shelf has a plastic milk crate, just a big smaller than a 33 1/3 LP will fit into, but good enough for ratchet straps, various fittings and wrapped garden hoses, etc.

The long handled tools get cleaned, washed, and oiled every few years, and I stand them in some taller narrow boxes, as if they were front entrance umbrellas. I find that the boxes keep them from falling over, and keep things in one place. This works in my situation because of what else goes into the shed out of the weather. Did I mention it is small?

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!