MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 30-10-04, 22:13

Default DUKW with trailer

Hello,

Whilst looking for somethng else I found the following picture of a DUKW in Shanghai in 1950 with a trailer

1528.46 | (SHANGHAI) (1:50:55:00 - 1:52:22:00)

http://imagen.britishpathe.com/scrip...00000005&sif=0

Were these common or used elsewhere?

Regards

Nick Balmer
Attached Images

Old 31-10-04, 11:56

they were not common. They were originally designed as ampibious trailers to be towed by the DUKW. they were also towed behind the wading tanks. They were not all that successful but were used in the pacific as well as the european campaigns.

Cliff
Old 31-10-04, 19:24

Default Not common

Gar Wood did prototypes and production, but I think the really ugly ones were Nash-Kelvinator. Not sure, but it was a washing machine manufacturer that did them in two different varieties.

The hood hoops and cargo space of the Gar Wood unit were the same as the DUKW itself, as were the wheels, and I vaguely remember a telescopic towbar with a big pin through it and hooked to the winch - so the driver could engage the winch for a few seconds and rip the pin out to dump the trailer if it started to flood and drag down the DUKW.

The trailers only really had two problems;

1. Reversing an land or water with them was really out of the question because of the rear overhang on land and the propellor location when afloat.

2. You would only need a trailer to increase the available load, and the stalwart ( small S for Richard... ) GMC 270 engine was fully committed pulling a laden DUKW out of the water and onto land, so it had no spare horsepower at all to pull a trailer out - unless DUKW and trailer were empty which rather defeated the purpose.

Gordon (ex-owner of DUKW 14962)
Old 01-11-04, 15:36
RIP

Default Speaking of DUKW's

Did any of you North American members catch tho Boston Rex World Series Parade on TV Saturday.I caught sight of at least 15 of them carrying the baseball team & they were different cokors,& were owned by a Boston Tours company.