MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 29-03-06, 09:47
Vets Dottir

Default Signs of Spring!

Well folks,

Some pussy willows are full blown now, and leaf buds getting quite big on a lilac tree I spotted today, so Spring is here ... I think? :

I haven't seen any CMP's and such since arriving here, all the local antique/2nd hand stores I've been to so far have only had ONE HELMET of WW2 so far as militaria goes (except for the war memorial wall, of course, and there is a Legion in town somewhere) ... and I've only spotted one vehicle so far with a Veteran's licence plate ... maybe Spring, once full blown, will bring out the good stuff from winter hibernation?

K.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pussywillows1.jpg (11.8 KB, 303 views)
Old 29-03-06, 10:26
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Not spring here!

It's going into Autumn... and very pretty in those gardens which have European trees...

What's Fall anyway???

Great to hear the big thaw is on for you lot.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 29-03-06, 10:37
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Not spring here!

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb

What's Fall anyway???
Fall is when everything dies and falls off the tree skeletons
Old 29-03-06, 10:52

Default Re: Re: Not spring here!

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
Fall is when everything dies and falls off the tree skeletons
Darn so that's what is wrong with me LOL
Old 29-03-06, 11:02
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: Not spring here!

Quote:
Originally posted by cliff
Darn so that's what is wrong with me LOL
So everythings falling off you then our Cliffy??? So sad With me nothing is falling off, just kid of twisting, gnarling, and sagging
Old 29-03-06, 21:33

yep all muscle tone etc is slowly being eaten away leaving me as weak as a kitten. Sometimes I have to use two hands just to try and hold a coffee cup. But hey that's life and I still have friends I can chat to

Cheers
Cliff

PS> I also seem to find heaps of folk all over the world that are worse off then me so why worry about me.
Old 29-03-06, 22:10
Vets Dottir

Quote:
yep all muscle tone etc is slowly being eaten away leaving me as weak as a kitten. Sometimes I have to use two hands just to try and hold a coffee cup. But hey that's life and I still have friends I can chat to

Cheers
Cliff

PS> I also seem to find heaps of folk all over the world that are worse off then me so why worry about me.
Ah, you are a stoic as well ... I know the muscle wasting thing. A few years ago when I was first hit hardest with the RA and such, I went down to 83 lbs and lost a major amount of muscle mass (normal weight 107) and was too tired to cross a room sometimes or do much at all. Scared everyone Thank god I'm way better shape now in some ways, although way worse in others : Keeping or even getting muscles toned is tough to accomplish when normal mobility is messed with, hey? Argh. I try to walk a little every day and figure that "if only I can build my muscles I'll be capable of a lot more again" ... more strength and energy ... as I know muscle tone can make a huge difference ... what motivates me best is the idea of losing more bits of physical independence ... yikes

I know so many out there with way worse problems to live with too ... and that makes me feel not so whiney about my progressions, but then again, we all grieve losing what we don't want to lose, especially when it comes to chronic pain and limitations... a little self-pity and whinging now and then is forgivable I should think.

IF ONLY my old impulses to doing what my old self could automatically do would just go away ... the mind forgets sometimes ... those are my hardest moments ... (I used to be pretty strong and flexible physically)

Aging ... only adds to it (will turn 52 in a couple of weeks)

So ... laugh and the world laughs with you ... it really is the best medicine hey?

Karmen.
Old 30-03-06, 00:11
Vets Dottir

Default Dammit ...

Dammit it all anyways ... I'm sorry Cliff, I accidentally hit edit instead of reply to your last, then went to delete my posted reply to that, but that deleted your last post ... one part of the nifty-fifties is the embarrassment of mind-malfunction (be quiet Mark-O ) ... so sorry .... please accept my apology ... Karmen

YOU SAID:
Quote:
LOL 2.5 years older then me huh. I join the nifty fifties in November this year.
So you'd best respect your elders then

Actually, I really enjoy being in the nifty fifties ... it has many perks that don't come when you're 20-30-40-somethings
Old 30-03-06, 02:20

Default Re: Dammit ...

Quote:

Actually, I really enjoy being in the nifty fifties ... it has many perks that don't some when you're 20-30-40-somethings
you mean you can still remember back that far

Cheers
Cliff

PS> I am always pushing the wrong buttons
Old 30-03-06, 06:50
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Dammit ...

Quote:
you mean you can still remember back that far

Cheers
Cliff

PS> I am always pushing the wrong buttons
Well, I can remember things of years gone by much better than things of a minute or a day ago ... like with pushing the wrong buttons, it can all be blamed on Old-Timers dis-ease after 50 and no one can challenge that with any surity

Well ... plans are solid for moving into my new digs tomorrow morning ... just talked to my mover

NOTE: ... I may be offline until April 3rd unless I can rebook the connection date for sooner.

Karmen
Old 30-03-06, 14:43
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Signs of Spring!

Quote:
Well folks,

Some pussy willows are full blown now, and leaf buds getting quite big on a lilac tree I spotted today, so Spring is here ... I think? :

I haven't seen any CMP's and such since arriving here, all the local antique/2nd hand stores I've been to so far have only had ONE HELMET

K.

Spring has Sprung
Grass has riz
I wunder where my mower iz?

I love Spring in B.C.!

Keep looking Girl! You never know what you might find in the hinterland. Might be some retired Rocky Mountain Rangers or Engineers from 44 Field Engineer Squadron in the East Kootenays. If you find any Engineer memoribilia, please let me know!
I found my '42 GPW way off the beaten track in N. Washington state and a good friend of mine from North Vancouver found a T28E1/M15 halftrack in the Cariboo that a rancher had been using for a skidder, so you never know what you might find when you're out and about.

(p.s. Don't mention Indian Summer to Keith, he'll only get even more confused!)
Old 30-03-06, 17:47
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Re: Re: Signs of Spring!

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740

(p.s. Don't mention Indian Summer to Keith, he'll only get even more confused!)
]

We've been experiencing just that for the past week or so... Roll on, mild Autumn and Winter!

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 30-03-06, 17:53
Vets Dottir

oops ... no time to reply to Master Sapperman and Keefy ... mover is on his way and have to unhook computer now ... but will be back to reply about the regements mentioned within A FEW DAYS

Ma Yappy is a movin' on
Old 30-03-06, 19:24
Commonwealth NOT Europe

Ain't age great - I turned 50 this year and can blame 'getting old' for all the memory lapses etc that happen. Also the embarrasing noises that I used to blame on the non-existent dog just get put down to 'senior moments'.
I also get away with rpsesnig the worng yeks no hte ykeborad LOL

Signs of spring - when I can play golf without waterproofs and thermals then spring is here !! (not yet!)

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)
Old 01-04-06, 04:50
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Hey Karmen, you know it's not really spring till you've seen your first crocus. I'm hoping to spot some out at my dacha in the next couple of weeks. (My tractor tire chains, lost by UPS for the last few weeks, finally showed up on my back doorstep today, just in time for the snow to melt).
Old 03-04-06, 20:28
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveCox
Ain't age great - I turned 50 this year
Hey, I'm older than you ... so you gonna respect your elders, or what? (Hi Dave and Hi to Chrissie as well )
Old 03-04-06, 20:34
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by cmperry4
Hey Karmen, you know it's not really spring till you've seen your first crocus.
Ah ... I won't know if those light green things poking up from the ground are crocuses or daffodils til they grow a little more ... and you say MAGNOLIAs are coming alive already> In MANITOBA???? Wow ... I love magnolias!

The last few days have been mnostly great here and my big old winter coat is way too warm now so have switched to a little jacket. Ah yes ... I've already seen folks puttering in their yards and gardens .. cleaning up dead stuff and getting ready for the growing season ... it's spring but not bursting yet ... very soon though! HURRAH!

Karmen
Old 03-04-06, 20:35
Vets Dottir

Default Oh yeah ...

FYI all ... am moved into my new digs and am online and on phone again as of this morning ... I'm back
Old 03-04-06, 21:01
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Magnolias in Manitoba? Not likely. Did I say that? Crocuses, which strictly speaking aren't crocuses, but "pasque flowers" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasque_flower are those delicate, fuzzy little light purple flowers that only grow on virgin prairie.

The Japanese go out to admire the cherry blossoms this time of year - I go out to admire the crocuses.
Old 03-04-06, 21:30
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Magnolias in Manitoba? Not likely. Did I say that? Crocuses, which strictly speaking aren't crocuses, but "pasque flowers" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasque_flower are those delicate, fuzzy little light purple flowers that only grow on virgin prairie.

The Japanese go out to admire the cherry blossoms this time of year - I go out to admire the crocuses.
Oops ... I need more sleep methinks ... I mixed up your post with an earlier email I had from someone talking about Spring Crocuses it is ... and they're very nice to see and I love 'em too, lots ... but LILACS for some reason, have always been "it really ain't Spring until the Lilacs start!!! In fact, I bought a glass vase at the dollar store to be ready for them, came home, and immediately dropped/broke it ... so went back next day and got another : ... glad it cost only a dollar

Happy Spring to those of you starting to believe in it again!

Karmen
Old 04-04-06, 01:40
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Your Back!!!!!!

Quote:
oops ... no time to reply to Master Sapperman and Keefy ... mover is on his way and have to unhook computer now ... but will be back to reply about the regements mentioned within A FEW DAYS

Ma Yappy is a movin' on
Hi Ma
Glad you are back...

Any computer problems you will probably find here ...

Why Computers Sometimes Crash! by Dr. Seuss.

I f a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port, and the bus is
interrupted at a very last resort, and the access of the memory makes your
floppy disk abort, then the socket packet pocket has an error to report.

If your cursor finds a menu item followed by a dash, and the
double-clicking icon puts your window in the trash, and your data is
corrupted cause the index doesn't hash, then your situation's hopeless and
your system's gonna crash!

If the label on the cable on the table at your house, says the
network is connected to the button on your mouse, but your packets want to
tunnel to another protocol, that's repeatedly rejected by the printer down
the hall......

And your screen is all distorted by the side effects of gauss, so
your icons in the window are as wavy as a souse; then you may as well
reboot and go out with a bang, 'cuz sure as I'm a poet, the sucker's gonna
hang.

When the copy on your floppy's getting sloppy in the disk, and the
macro code instructions is causing unnecessary risk, then you'll have to
flash the memory and you'll want to RAM your ROM, and then quickly turn off
the computer and be sure to tell your Mom!

Well, that certainly clears things up for me. How about you?
Thank you, Bill Gates, for bringing all this into our lives
Old 04-04-06, 05:40
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Default crocuses?

Crocuses have all but come and gone now. The tulips and daffodills are up. BC Bud is blooming.
aaaaahh spring is here!

say, on April 5th just after 1 AM it will be 01:02:03 04/05/06
Old 04-04-06, 07:23
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Your Back!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Blair
Hi Ma
Glad you are back...

Any computer problems you will probably find here ...

Why Computers Sometimes Crash! by Dr. Seuss.
Hi ... I'm glad to be able to visit here again too ... and thanks

Wherever did you find the poetry? What a hoot.

Old 04-04-06, 07:31
Vets Dottir

Default Re: crocuses?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce MacMillan
Crocuses have all but come and gone now. The tulips and daffodills are up. BC Bud is blooming.
aaaaahh spring is here!

say, on April 5th just after 1 AM it will be 01:02:03 04/05/06
Hmmmm ... bud in Maple Ridge? Bummer. Thought that was mostly concentrated in the WEST Kootenays?

The tulips and daffodils I like though Too bad Spring couldn't Spring yesterday like it did on the West Coast ... but that's okay as I wouldn't want to miss watching things grow and blossom from nothing!!!

PS: Any other Spring/April birthdays in here??? I figure it's a great time of year to begin life ... when in sync with the season ... and maybe I'll start to spot military-ish things come out from under tarps and out of hiding and such. Will carry my camera wqith me for opportune momenbts, as ya never know ....

Karmen
Old 04-04-06, 14:57
Derek Heuring

Default Re: crocuses?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce MacMillan
BC Bud is blooming.

Dude! Like, you don't know that B.C. Bud blooms year-round? Pppphhhhhtttt, where's the Doritos?
Old 05-04-06, 21:04
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Signs of Spring!

Quote:
[B] Keep looking Girl! You never know what you might find in the hinterland. Might be some retired Rocky Mountain Rangers or Engineers from 44 Field Engineer Squadron in the East Kootenays. If you find any Engineer memoribilia, please let me know!
I DID meet and chat up an elderly gentleman in the local crafts and artists materials store a couple of days ago. He was 88 years old and looking and moving around great (WAY better than me) ... he said he was with the IRISH "FUSILLIERS" (spellling correct?) out of Vancouver and they were stationed in JAMAICA ... he said they were sent to Jamaica because there were a lot of German submarines there-abouts. He also did this great happy-memory laugh when he mentioned "I really WAS Irish by the end of the war." I think he really loved the parades and music ... you never know who that person next to you shopping is, or the amazing life histories.

Regards 44 Field Engineer Squadron ... I'll let you know asap if I come across anything but is there anything in particular you're interested in?

I remember about the SRD JUGS too

Karmen
Old 05-04-06, 22:04
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Hey Karmen, you know it's not really spring till you've seen your first ......................
RHUBARB!

This is growing outside just below my kitchen window ...
I'll have to look up a recipe for rhubarb pie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rhubarb1.jpg (170.5 KB, 95 views)
Old 05-04-06, 23:55
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Re: Re: Signs of Spring!

Quote:
I DID meet and chat up an elderly gentleman in the local crafts and artists materials store a couple of days ago. He was 88 years old and looking and moving around great (WAY better than me) ... he said he was with the IRISH "FUSILLIERS" (spellling correct?)

Regards 44 Field Engineer Squadron ... I'll let you know asap if I come across anything but is there anything in particular you're interested in?

Karmen
Only one "L" in Fusilier, but who's counting! Next time you see that chap, tell him to "Faugh a ballagh!" He'll get a laugh out of it!
Strange where the tides of war will take you, or a regiment. The Irish Fusiliers of Canada were in the thick of it in The Great War with Battle Honours from Ypres, Mount Sorrel, the Somme, Arras, Vimy, Passchendaele, Amiens, Cambrai, and Flanders...just to name a few! WWII...Jamaica mon!
As for Engineer memoribilia I'm still looking for a mine probe with web carrier. But I'm always happy to find insignia, uniforms, papers, size 12 ammo boots, size 7 3/4 helmet etc. etc.

p.s. Faugh a ballagh: Their Regimental motto. "Clear the way!"
Old 09-04-06, 15:50
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Re: Re: Signs of Spring!

Quote:
I DID meet and chat up an elderly gentleman in the local crafts and artists materials store a couple of days ago. He was 88 years old and looking and moving around great (WAY better than me) ... he said he was with the IRISH "FUSILLIERS" (spellling correct?) out of Vancouver and they were stationed in JAMAICA ... he said they were sent to Jamaica because there were a lot of German submarines there-abouts. He also did this great happy-memory laugh when he mentioned "I really WAS Irish by the end of the war." I think he really loved the parades and music ... you never know who that person next to you shopping is, or the amazing life histories.

Karmen

Here's an opportunity to broaden your search Karmen. On May 1, 1914 the 107th East Kootenay Regment was raised in Cranbrook. The regiment sent two battalions, the 54th and the 225th to join the Canadian Expeditionary Force during the Great War. They won battle honours at Somme, Vimy, Ypres, and Passchendaele, just to name a few. The regiment was renamed the Kootenay Regiment on March 15, 1920 and was disbanded Dec. 14, 1936. You never know if you might find some memoribilia at one of the local flea markets.
Old 09-04-06, 20:48
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Signs of Spring!

Quote:
You never know if you might find some memoribilia at one of the local flea markets.
Hi Sapperman

I'll keep my eyes open for anything and let you know if/as I come across anything ..... and thanks for the bits of military history about this area!

Here's a link for some history/memorabilia items that I just found:

http://www.fortsteele.bc.ca/exhibits...emorabilia.asp

Actually, since starting my geneology and family history searches which led me to places like MLU ... and now having been a member here for (3 ???) years, it's pretty automatic that I notice military type things immediately and think of you lot in here immediately ... a couple of doors down from me is a collector or some such of old metal/parts ... don't know what they're for, but keep planning to ask the owner if he ever gets, or knows of, any old WW2 vehicles and/or parts near by.

This town is a "railway" and "mining" town, so there's that sort of memorabilia too. This "neighbor" just has a huge 2 story shed in his back yard behind his house and am sure it's full of stuff. Maybe his stuff is all railway/mines related, but ya never know what he might have or know about in the area.

So you see, I'm looking out for you-all in here