MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 15-02-08, 19:22

Default KV-1 recovery

I thought i would pass this on.In this month`s ``Military Vehicles`` magazine,they mention a KV-1 Russian WWII tank has been pulled fron the Neva river, around October.The site I found,if I get it right, is: http://www.aroundspb.ru/variety/tank.../rcs_index.php .It is in amazing condition,and seems to have been Pulled out of the river,so the tracks still turned! Another fantastic find,like finding a time capsule from that time. I beleive that they have also found other tanks in the river as well as other artifacts. The club which found it has found other vehicles,even a Tiger I in pieces,blown up by its crew.
Old 15-02-08, 19:56
Paul

It makes you wonder what is hidden in the depths of the many rivers and lakes that were crossed and recrossed during wartime.

Paul.

(This post would not go on "Post Quick Reply", only through "Go Advanced")
Old 15-02-08, 20:17

Default buried history

Yes, there must be a sizable amount of material to be discovered under water.The P-38 lightning `Glacier Girl`from the ice in Greenland, the Halifax bomber in Trenton from a lake in Norway, something like 70 US navy WWII aircraft still in Lake Michigan,and imagine what`s on the bottom in the Mediterranean sea in the form of ships and cargo.The people who found this KV-1 were using some kind of powerful magnetic detector, probably from the surface.When they come to the surface again, it is like history coming back into view for the second time.
Old 19-02-08, 14:27

Default Buried treasures ...

Bob,

If you'd take the time to go back thru the old MLU messages you'll find several more such MV recovery sites that I have posted here over the last few years. Aircraft too. And at least one submrine, just for some variety.

Robert in Toronto
Old 20-02-08, 00:12

That KV-1 recovery happened back in 2003. Its not a recent discovery. I remember seeing it a while ago...

Долгая переправа.
Фоторепортаж с места подъема танка КВ-1
на "Невском Пятачке" - 19.04.2003
Long crossing of Neva river - Rising of tank KV-1
Old 20-02-08, 15:39

Default date correction

Yes,I found some more data on this,and it took place in 2003,so the magazine I saw got the timing wrong. I also did a bit more looking and found some links showing a BT light tank also being lifted out of a river, and photos of another T34-76, early hexagonal shped turret, being pulled out of a small bog.This was a standard T34, not the one with the German markings found also in Russia.I will try to attach 2 photos of ammo and MG ammo drums found intact in the KV-1.
Attached Thumbnails
t4.jpg   t18.jpg