MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 05-12-22, 00:33

Default Odd dash light?

Some pictures I found a looong time ago.....not sure if this is the original dash light? These pictures probably came off MLU, so apologies to the original owner of the thumb and forefinger for not being able to remember where/when.

Stefan has a couple of similar-looking ones available here: https://www.lwdparts.com/product/dash-lamp-2/
Attached Thumbnails
dash_02.jpg   dash_light.jpg  
1936 Opel Olympia
MVPA # 39159
MVT # 19406

Last edited by Owen Evans; 05-12-22 at 00:41. Reason: parts source!
Old 05-12-22, 03:42

Default Thanks Rob.....

....very close number indeed.

Back to Paul's ex C15 ....... the hole centered in the dash for a light of some sort is about 1/2 inch in diameter at the most....... the dash lights featured on Ebay are 3/4 inch at the threaded portion requiring a larger hole.

The 1/2 inch hole for the light is centered directly above the ignition switch...... and we found the hole for the vacuum line just above but on the top of the flat surface. On other similar arches that we have there are NO hole inthe dash for the dash light and the vacuum hole on top has been welded over and a vacuum line hole is near the right hand windshield post.

Does any one have a picture of what the early cab 11 center dash light looks like in its original "virgin" appearance????

This is like digging in loose dry sand..........
...................... the more you dig the more pours in.....
Canada
Old 05-12-22, 03:51

Default Ah ha the plot thickens.....

Thanks Owen

It looks big?????? the size is about the same as the full diameter of the original domed machined screws...... which I believe is over or about 5/8 of an inch.... guess what I am measuring tomorrow morning.....

I have already written to Stefan to get a measurement of the threaded portion and will most likely purchase the little sucker....

Just amazing what we can find on MLU and the good will of its members.

Cheers

Bob C.
Canada
Old 05-12-22, 14:48

A couple of images of the lamp in the C15 Bob got from Paul. One to show the general layout and another to more clearly show what remains of the lamp. Also an image of the data plate...
Attached Thumbnails
C15 Lamp Overview.jpg   C15 Lamp Detail.jpg   C15 Dataplate.jpg  
Old 06-12-22, 03:55

Default Owen..... you may be on the right track....

Thanks Grant

Owen your light seems more and more like the real thing.....

Which reminds me some one game me an oldlight as part of assorted wiring bits...... now to find it....... from memory it look very similar.... willneed to dig in the barn.

Cheers
Canada
Old 06-12-22, 04:44

Default Grant.......

...did you realize there is not ignition key on the C15???? what if some one steals it????
Canada
Old 06-12-22, 04:49

Default Well no more hum and hawing....

Contacted Stefan an ordered the dash light as it looks very similar and a much needed dash socket for the trouble light aqnd the last headlight 3 wire connector although I still need another one.

Now to wait for Santa Claus.

I was a good boy and did not cry at the dentist.....

....but he did pinch my wallet!!!!

Bob C
Canada
Old 06-12-22, 05:00

Default Notes about the dash light.....

Grant and I did have a second look at various early CMP parts and did find the two hole.....one on top very peakofthe arches which wouldbe immediately behind the bottom of the windshield trim and teh second for the lamp on the vertical dash side.

On other cab 12 the hole on top seems to have been welded shut and a separate hole on the full RH side of the dash top for the vacuum tube....which allowed the windshield frame to pivot upwards while the line remains stationary.

All in the details......
Canada
Old 06-12-22, 17:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Evans View Post
Some pictures I found a looong time ago.....not sure if this is the original dash light? These pictures probably came off MLU, so apologies to the original owner of the thumb and forefinger for not being able to remember where/when.
By the looks of it, it's David's thumb...
http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...t=11657&page=6

Here are some pics of the remains of the dash lamp on my C8 in the same thread (David DeWeese's C8 restoration)
http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...&postcount=181

(I also bought a replacement light from Stefan a couple of years ago). I seem to remember he had two lamps...the smaller (correct one) and a slightly larger one from a carrier.

Also more discussion on the lamp here:
http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8246

Last edited by Alex van de Wetering; 06-12-22 at 17:16.
Old 06-12-22, 17:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Bowker View Post
A couple of images of the lamp in the C15 Bob got from Paul. One to show the general layout and another to more clearly show what remains of the lamp. Also an image of the data plate...
Thanks for posting these pics, Grant! Any ideas on the blueish paint? My C8 shows the same colours on the inside.....and I always wondered which original colour turns blue-ish after a while.....My best bet was Khaki Green G3.

Last edited by Alex van de Wetering; 06-12-22 at 17:16.
Old 07-12-22, 03:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex van de Wetering View Post
By the looks of it, it's David's thumb...
http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...t=11657&page=6
Well remembered Alex.....phantom thumb mystery solved. And full credit to David for his photos!
1936 Opel Olympia
MVPA # 39159
MVT # 19406
Old 08-12-22, 17:55

Hi Guys,

Bob that dash light you refer to, is it this one (see picture). My Chevy is an early Cab 12 and from other features I've found would appear to be a mid production change from the cab 11 to 12.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN5580.jpg  
1940 BSA M20
1940 Morris Commercial CDSW Light Recovery
1942 CMP Chevrolet no. 12 cab
1944 Bedford MWD
Old 08-12-22, 20:57

Default DASH LIGHT .....Bingo

That is the one Paul......... there is no doubt in my mind that your turck was one of the few that got caugh in the production modification and what ever peices was available was used up....... this was not a Japanese HI-Quality assembly line......line was to be kept moving......

I have been searching my jumble of B&W pictures of that era....... I am sure it was posted way back when on MLU......

The picture I am looking for is of a production line Photoprapher was standing about 8 feet about the cab....passenger side and the picture shows the mixed up parts of....I believe it showed the top roof with a rectangular hatch, a cab 11 hood and a swing open windshield........ the picture was the basis of a discussion about what is a cab 11 VS a cab 12 and when did they change.

IMHO the changes occurred on Wednesday line one, Friday for line 3 and over the weekend for the other two lines...... I have registration tags for an Australian contract PE_175......C60L with small 16 inch rims and tyres and dated Aug and Sep 1944.....obviously never shipped from Canada and were sold surplus.....and they had a mix of civilian instrument clusters and some with rounds dials...... same contract a few days apart.....

I gave in... and purchased a light from Stefan of LWD....Xmas gift to self....
Canada
Old 08-12-22, 21:22

Default Control Panels

Perhaps these scans from my copy of Instruction Book - Special Pattern Vehicles - Fifth Edition published by Ford of Canada will be of interest.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fig. 7 - Control Panel (Early Type).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	131037 Click image for larger version

Name:	Fig. 8 - Control Panel (Current Type).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	131038
Old 09-12-22, 01:29
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
I have registration tags for an Australian contract PE_175......C60L with small 16 inch rims and tyres and dated Aug and Sep 1944.....obviously never shipped from Canada .....
I think you are honour-bound to fulfil that contract and ship that truck to Australia before we apply late-delivery fees.
Old 09-12-22, 03:16

Default Oh Crap Tony.....

..... there are a whole bunch of them.....

Being long frames a lot of them ended up as logging truck....... strangely everyone I have seen had no cargo box....... maybe they pulled the contract before the boxes were made or intended to finish the build in Australia....

But a large number never left our shores...... some had
individual rounds instruments.... some had the 1940 civilian clusters......all on 16 inch wheels/rims and all had helper springs.....

PS contract was PE 197-11 and 12 (Not 175 as previously reported) see photos
PS to PS and BS...... 28920 vehicles from April 7th to Sept 29th 44...... I believe that numbers may have been sequencial on the assembly line and this 28K includes doctor's cars, C15a etc.....
..further PS...... were was the active front by Sept 44....... the end was in sight!!!! and still making war supplies....
Attached Thumbnails
C60NumberPlates0003C60NumberPlates.JPGrz.JPG   Aussie contract with 20wheelsdarkened.jpgrz.jpg   cab13 dashIM003581enl.jpgrz.jpg   cab13AussieIM003559enlarged.jpgrz.jpg  
Canada

Last edited by Bob Carriere; 09-12-22 at 03:34.
Old 12-12-22, 12:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Evans View Post
Well remembered Alex.....phantom thumb mystery solved. And full credit to David for his photos!
I cheated, Owen.....I used google to find the source thread here on MLU. The forum has so much information that a lot of subjects have been discussed before....it's just difficult finding them back
Old 18-12-22, 09:34
MLU Administrator

Default CMP serial number database

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
Hanno......... what ever happened to the older registry that a few well guided individuals put together in the late 70s or 80s...... they were done possibly pre computers and a labour of love to say the least. Are there any digital copies still recoverable and could they become a separate thread on MLU???? I envision a special thread that would allow individual to enter their own information and the Forum system would automatically sort them out in descending numbers and sortable by date, location, current owner, etc.
....is such a thing feasible so that once created it would be self maintaining??
Bob, if you are referring to Peter Ford's CMP-INFOEX, I have a copy thanks to Robert Morrison. I will look up the number (sometime soon).

Keith Webb used to have a CMP database on his website, but this has gone offline.

Same is true for the database compiled on The Canadian Register & CMP Owners club website, also gone offline but it can still be found in the internet archive: https://web.archive.org/web/20160325.../database.html

I am dreaming of an online database which can be updated by MLU members themselves, rather than one or two people having to process everything that gets sent to them. Been there, done that >
Old 18-12-22, 22:57

Default Agreed.......

A simple design that can be updated by individual members and can be updated only by the originating member.....nothing to add burden to the admin. or moderators.

A project for next year....... which is almost here!!!!
Canada