MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Gun Park

Notices

Old 14-03-08, 12:38
Dennis

Default Bofors 40mm Mk1 carriage

Hi,

what are the differences between the British early riveted Mk1 carriage and the later welded Mk1 carriage and we there also differences in the guns?
I really like to see pics of the later version.
Thanks.

regards,

Dennis
Old 14-03-08, 14:10
Dennis

I think I made the mistake of thinking that there were different Mk1 carriages after seeing a picture at IWM.
The picture show a Bofors with Mk1 carriage but it looks like there are no rivets, but I think I'm wrong.
Where these old carriages still around a lot during 1944-1945?
Thanks.

regards,
Dennis

this is the pic.from IWM
Attached Images

Old 15-03-08, 11:08

The riveted Mk 1 carriage (or platform, as it was known officially) was the original Swedish design, and was most probably never manufactured by the British or Commonwealth factories. A simpler design was used, without any suspension and with axles that would be removed for firing.

The Americans, on the other hand, adapted the Swedish design to their manufacturing methods, preferring welding to riveting.

So the Bofors in the photo could well be an American model being used by the British Army.

All versions were used up till the end of the war and beyond, as they were not considered at all 'old'. Remember the British Army in 1944 was still using a rifle introduced in 1907!

If it works well, it's still good....
Old 15-03-08, 14:00
Dennis

thanks, but weren't the American carriages fitted with a steering link lock?
I don't see it in the picture, are there more US carriages besides M2 and M2A1?

regards,

Dennis
Old 30-03-08, 19:31

Dennis,
what exactly do you mean by the steering link lock? The carriage in the photo must have a pin inserted in the drawbar which locks the steering solid. Otherwise when the cranked axle is being rotated to lower the platform to the ground, and the drawbar is getting vertical, the unlocked steering could swing to one side as the kingpins are now horizontal. In other words the steering geometry will collapse to one side. The heavy drawbar would be fatal to anyone in its path! So the steering geometry has to be securely locked before lowering. Likewise it has to be unlocked when back on the wheels as otherwise the locking pin will shear at the first corner...

After having another look at tha photo, I concluded that it is an original Mk 1 platform, only the rivets are not quite visible. The american welded platform ended with the longitudinal girders tapered at the end and welded to the upright tube that takes the levelling jack. The riveted platform, on the other hand, went around the tube as in the photo.

Hope this helps
Old 02-04-08, 22:37

Recently I posted a link to the "History of Weste-wood Works" website - Softskin Forum, Kitchens thread - about Baker Perkins bakery trailers, The site also has a lot of information about the artilery they produced and quite a few photos. Particularly relavent to this thread: -
Quote:
Another significant re-design was made to the Bofors Gun, the original complex riveted platform being replaced by a simpler welded arrangement. Westwood Works made over 2,500 Bofors platforms before being asked to manufacture the entire gun (except for the barrel) - turning out ten of these guns every week.
I'm sure someone will find something usefull in the site - for exampe what exectly are the "17/25 Pounder Heavy Armoured Mounting" 8 of which were made?
There's also some info on a Home Guard Z battery!
Noel

p.s. heres the link: http://www.westwoodworks.net/HowItWa...oodWorksInWW2/
Old 09-04-08, 13:07
RIP

Default Mk I platform

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godwin Hampton View Post

After having another look at tha photo, I concluded that it is an original Mk 1 platform, only the rivets are not quite visible. The american welded platform ended with the longitudinal girders tapered at the end and welded to the upright tube that takes the levelling jack. The riveted platform, on the other hand, went around the tube as in the photo.
I agree. It is a Mk I platform. Photo not earlier than 1944 when the "Stiffkey Stick" sights and protective shields were added.

The British MK I platforms were made in Belgium, Poland and Sweden. They had minor differences regarding what manufacturer made them.

Stellan
Old 10-04-08, 16:45
Dennis

many thanks guys, it's highly appreciated.

regards,

Dennis