MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 16-08-04, 04:27
48th Highlander

Default Kilt patrol

Every military unit has its historical moments of tragedy, humor and odd situations. Things we would want to forget and moments that we can look back and see truly great humor. Many of these situations would be hard to imagine today but having experienced them personally you know it was so.
Every Highland regiment took to heart true military customs and dress. I remember as a young 18 year old from a small town outside of Toronto, when I came home with my first Highland issue. The kilts really wowed the guys in my group, boy I was the cock of the walk and did it go to my head. When back on parade with the regiment I lived in total fear of every rank from Lance Corporal on up. I felt they had the power to place me before a firing squad for the least of any infraction. So I sure did follow the rulebook.
Now the kilt as you may well know has played a very important role in the dress of any Highland unit. At the beginning of the war my regiment (the 48th) was stationed in the Horse Palace on the Exhibition grounds in Toronto. In my company (B) there were a couple of hell raisers who had served in the Spanish Civil War (I believe the International Brigade) who took it upon themselves to see that all adhered to true Highland Tradition, that being, nothing between your skin and the kilt. So, when we would go out for the evening after parade they would come up to you and tell you to flip and God help you if you misused Scottish tradition, you would then be grabbed, dragged down to the long wash trough with many taps of cold water and promptly anointed, you know where It was a terrible thing to see a grown man kicking and cursing while he was dunked like a biscuit in a cup of warm tea. Unfortunately this got out of hand and in one case black shoe polish was substituted for the cold water. As this led to irritation rashes and a severe dampening of ones love life the MO issued a strict cease and desist. As I was unable to tolerate hard Scottish wool against my delicate skin I did not abide this tradition so every night as I went out for the evening I lived in Holy fear of this sadistic group but thanks to our being issued the new battle dress prior to going to England in December 39 I escaped this cruel ritual.

PS: Regrettably you may not find this in daily orders, regimental history.
Old 16-08-04, 06:41
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: Kilt patrol

Quote:
Originally posted by Norm Cromie
In my company (B) there were a couple of hell raisers who had served in the Spanish Civil War (I believe the International Brigade) who took it upon themselves to see that all adhered to true Highland Tradition, that being, nothing between your skin and the kilt.
One must always be "Regimental", mustn't one?

During walking out, it was always a pleasure for the local lassies to make that unforgettable query..."What do you wear under your kilt"?

The answer, of course, led to many a delightful dalliance, with little if any emcumbrances to achieve the objective.
Old 16-08-04, 17:54
Vets Dottir

I really enjoy your reminiscing NORM

Now you all are reminding me of the "Real MacKenzies" band who played a gig in Nelson ... at the end of their performances, they flipped thier friggin kilts in unison to prove to the audience that there was nothing between kilt and skin ... (they're a sort of "Up Yours" attitudes band... but some wicked playing ... of all kinds!)

Oh Master Sunray, you once mentioned that you have some MacKenzie blood in you Do you ever flip yore kilt to the lassies?

MOWAT/Mouat CLAN ... is in my blood. I shall have to find out more about kilts and tartans and such for the MOWATS ... and avoid those Scots for romancin' ... we could be kin

TRADITION: Nothing between Kilt and Skin ... why?

Old 16-08-04, 18:46
RIP

Default Regimental

"During walking out, it was always a pleasure for the local lassies to make that unforgettable query..."What do you wear under your kilt?"

Hose and brogues!!
Old 16-08-04, 19:15
48th Highlander

Default Kilt patrol

Hey Carman
We were wondering about your thread, you mentioned the town or city of Nelson, is that in Manitoba or British Columbia as we know of one in BC?

Norm
Old 16-08-04, 19:41
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Kilt patrol

Quote:
Hey Carman
We were wondering about your thread, you mentioned the town or city of Nelson, is that in Manitoba or British Columbia as we know of one in BC?

Norm
Hi Norm,

Nelson, BC
Old 16-08-04, 20:34
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
Oh Master Sunray, you once mentioned that you have some MacKenzie blood in you Do you ever flip yore kilt to the lassies?
Weellllll..... I reckon that's for me to know and you to find out, isn't it?
Old 16-08-04, 20:48
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Weellllll..... I reckon that's for me to know and you to find out, isn't it?
Will I need my frying pan, or my Beaconia rocks and sling shot, or SHOE-POLISH??? if we meet, Oh Master Sunshine?
Old 16-08-04, 22:08
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Quote:
MOWAT/Mouat CLAN ... is in my blood. I shall have to find out more about kilts and tartans and such for the MOWATS ... and avoid those Scots for romancin' ... we could be kin
Here is your Mowat tartan,...
http://www.clan.com/index.html?tarta...tartan_finder2
Old 17-08-04, 06:43
Art Johnson

Default under the kilt

Our standard reply was " I'm a man of few words, give us your hand"
Old 17-08-04, 17:03
RIP

Default Under the kilt

I always tell them I'm wearing brogues(shoes) & Lovat hose(socks)!!
Old 18-08-04, 08:23
Vets Dottir

Default Re: under the kilt

Quote:
Originally posted by Art Johnson
You ALL must be on Drambuie :

Art... for you, I "applaud" you

As for the rest of you, I should send you all slop buckets for your up-chucks

As for Master Sunray ... iffen you flip yor kilt at me, ken this, I'll have you dancing the highland fling with the after-rash from shoe polish on your nether-parts
Old 18-08-04, 19:35
48th Highlander

Default kilt patrol

Art:
Excellent solution to the problem Art. I can faintly remember on occasion in the cold winter mornings when in a packed street car you would feel the quick caress of some cold fingers. Not knowing whether to shriek out, curse or anticipate the best, you would swing your head around quickly, but to your shock you would see a group of both sexes that would leave you in a state of perplexity. Now that I am long in the tooth, Gaud for those good old days and short kilts.
And no smart remarks...Carman
Old 18-08-04, 20:14
Vets Dottir

Default Re: kilt patrol

Quote:
I can faintly remember on occasion in the cold winter mornings when in a packed street car you would feel the quick caress of some cold fingers. Not knowing whether to shriek out, curse or anticipate the best, you would swing your head around quickly, but to your shock you would see a group of both sexes that would leave you in a state of perplexity. Now that I am long in the tooth, Gaud for those good old days and short kilts.
And no smart remarks...Carman
Ah for the good old days, eh?
They say "cold hands, warm heart"

Back then you could tell the gender of who was messing with you, at least.

TARTANS ... I haven't read up on this topic yet, but I assume that the colours, lines and patterns all have some signifigance unique to its clan?

Does anyone know the origination of the tradition of "nothing between kilt and skin"? Like, what's the point? (you bunch already are telling me about its benefits : )

(I'll have to look up FIDLER too, as I have that blood as well as MOWAT ... Mowat's can wear SUTHERLAND tartans for reasons i don't know)

ALEX ... did I ever say thank-you for the Tartan link? ...if not... THANK YOU.

Karmen
Old 18-08-04, 21:45
Vets Dottir

Default Malcolm

And HERE is the tartan to go with my MALCOLM blood... gee, my tartans keep coming up GREEN Maybe thats why I like Khaki green so much Great Great grannies parents were Alexander Mowat and Catherine Malcolm from Whitehouse, Wick, Caithness ...

http://www.house-of-tartan.scotland....an/tfinder.exe

Nothing on Fidler... maybe that's the missing "Irish" I haven't been able to find yet and why I once got a taste for Irish Whiskey? I thought Fidler was Scot.

Karmen the Wee Bittie Scottish
Old 18-08-04, 22:15

Default Re: Malcolm

Quote:
And HERE is the tartan to go with my MALCOLM blood... gee, my tartans keep coming up GREEN Maybe thats why I like Khaki green so much Great Great grannies parents were Alexander Mowat and Catherine Malcolm from Whitehouse, Wick, Caithness ...

http://www.house-of-tartan.scotland....an/tfinder.exe

Nothing on Fidler... maybe that's the missing "Irish" I haven't been able to find yet and why I once got a taste for Irish Whiskey? I thought Fidler was Scot.

Karmen the Wee Bittie Scottish
Try this...also Fiddler...
http://genforum.genealogy.com/fidler/
Oh by the way the Scots are the ones with the tartans..Fidler is English...
Old 18-08-04, 22:37
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Malcolm

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Blair
Try this...also Fiddler...
http://genforum.genealogy.com/fidler/
Oh by the way the Scots are the ones with the tartans..Fidler is English...
Thank you Alex Hmmm ... will have to research my Fidler's a bit more ... English huh? Some more English to go with my SMITH? and okay ... no Fidler tartan

I read that my MALCOLM is connected to MACLEOD. All interesting stuff. I also read that MACKENZIES and MACLEODs were feudal with each other... no wonder those guys from the "Real MacKenzies" band choked me up.

Sunray ... YOU have MacKenzie blood huh? :angry: (That's from my Malcolm/MacLeod blood)

Here is a neat link for those of you into geneology with roots to Scotland (Orkneys site) where I just found my CATHERINE DAVIDSON MALCOLM and her parents (record of Catherine's birth)

http://www.cursiter.com

And HERE is a link about the history of the Kilt,although it doesn't much mention "Regimental" Kilts:
http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/legends/kilt.htm

I LOVE this unlimited access library in my smoking room (ken ye dig it?)
Old 18-08-04, 23:20
Vets Dottir

Wink Cheeky

This image we've seen in MLU before, I've revived here, just to keep this thread CHEEKY

Attached Images

Old 19-08-04, 00:21
RIP

Default David Niven

David Niven, in his autobiography "The Moon's a Balloon", wrote about attending a Mess dinner while a cadet at Sandhurst. While in the men's room he was joined at the urinals by a Major from the Black Watch who advised Niven to join a Highland regiment as the kilt was the finest garment for "ventilation, urination and fornication!"
Old 19-08-04, 00:23
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Cheeky

Quote:
This image we've seen in MLU before, I've revived here, just to keep this thread CHEEKY

Oh Karmen.......

CENSORED!!

Attached Images

Old 19-08-04, 01:16
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Cheeky

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
Oh Karmen.......

CENSORED!!

Ah so Mark-O ... so you've dragged yore nose outta those books and papers I see ... I had to clean out some stuff and reboot my computer to load these last posts ... it was actually worth the extra work, even with my swollen hands today ... thats what I call a cheeky "Put on a Happy Face"

Regards the Black Watch major's reasons for joining a Highland Regiment ... V.U.F. ... just reminds me, yet again that

"Women rule because men drool!"
Old 19-08-04, 02:48
Senior Forum Member

Talking Re: Re: Re: Cheeky

Quote:
Ah so Mark-O ... so you've dragged yore nose outta those books and papers I see....
Who Me?....No, Never!!!!!...............
Old 19-08-04, 17:36
RIP

Default Malcolm/McLeod

Karmen,
Looked into my clan books.Malcolm has no relationship to any of the clans,
However,MOWAT is a sept of Clan Sutherland.I have the Ancient Battle Tartan of Clan Sutherland,My pipe major at the time had a written Warrant from the Countess of Sutherland ,giving us permission to wear the tartan.
Chief:Countess of Sutherland
Clan Seatunrobin Castle,Sutherland
Clan Motto:SANS PEUR(Without Fear)

When I get my photos with the vets<I'll wear it for you & Mark Tonner

Garry & the Shadman
Old 19-08-04, 18:02
Vets Dottir

Thanks a lot Garry and Shadman ... will Shadman wear a kilt too? Regardless, I look forward to seeing those photos.

Your source for Clan info is probably better than what I found online linking MALCOLMs to MACLEODs and CLANs. Dammmm I'd make a lousy journalist

Regards the MOWAT and SUTHERLAND connection, yes, I've come across the link-up quite often.

Woof to Shadster
Old 19-08-04, 18:30

Default Re: Re: Re: Malcolm

Quote:
Thank you Alex Hmmm ... will have to research my Fidler's a bit more ... English huh? Some more English to go with my SMITH? and okay ... no Fidler tartan

I read that my MALCOLM is connected to MACLEOD. All interesting stuff. I also read that MACKENZIES and MACLEODs were feudal with each other... no wonder those guys from the "Real MacKenzies" band choked me up.

Sunray ... YOU have MacKenzie blood huh? :angry: (That's from my Malcolm/MacLeod blood)

Here is a neat link for those of you into geneology with roots to Scotland (Orkneys site) where I just found my CATHERINE DAVIDSON MALCOLM and her parents (record of Catherine's birth)

http://www.cursiter.com

And HERE is a link about the history of the Kilt,although it doesn't much mention "Regimental" Kilts:
http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/legends/kilt.htm

I LOVE this unlimited access library in my smoking room (ken ye dig it?)
Carman
Although the Fidlers were English,there was a branch of the Fidlers in the Orkney Islands..(Scotland)...
Back in the old days the Hudson Bay Company hired many an Orkneyman to serve in Canada and Factors(Managers) and clerks..
It is possible that the HBC Hired a Fidler in the Orkneys ..sent him to Canada as a trader and that may be the line you are looking for..
Check out the HBC company archives ..They are in Winterpeg,you know..
Heard you had snow pellets yesterday(18 Aug)...
Better get a big woodpile..
Old 20-08-04, 05:02
Vets Dottir

Unhappy SNOW PELLTS?

ALEX:

I missed the bad weather yesterday ... was in my hidey-hole bunker all day/nite ... knew we had rain ... but white stuff? We all pray for a wonderful prolonged Indian Summer to makeup for what is said to be Manitoba's worst summer on record. Today is horrible ... COLD/wind ... by the way, don't need me no woodpile and kindling anymore as I no longer need a firepit ...got me a nice little occilating tower heater with a REMOTE!

Regards FIDLER ... yes ... HBC brought them over for sure. Geneology stuff still in boxes...no tables/desks etc but soon I'll be arranging piles around the perimeters of the rooms... my "military interests and projects", including EXPECTED FROM OTHERS projects have grown far beyond a simple family history .... can go many many directions now if I'm "capable" ...

yikes ... scarey!
Old 25-11-04, 12:40
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default You horrible little man!!!

You could be hung for that! Er, I meant hanged.
Attached Images

Old 25-11-04, 13:01

Default Re: You horrible little man!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith
You could be hung for that! Er, I meant hanged.
Good lad that chap...Notice the smile on his face and the grip on the hem of his kilt and the slight lifting of the hem...??
He sure has balls!!!!
Old 27-11-04, 01:19
48th Highlander

Talking kilt patrol

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Blair
Good lad that chap...Notice the smile on his face and the grip on the hem of his kilt and the slight lifting of the hem...??
He sure has balls!!!!
Tony, I see that you know tradition always exceeds modesty.
What in the hell is wrong with a little flashing among those daring Highlanders.
Please no remarks from you Carman..
I myself used dark glasses to view this thread
PS: It pays to advertise.
Old 27-11-04, 01:49
Vets Dottir

Talking Yeah?

Advertising, as you call it Norm, can also scare the ladies away