MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 25-01-06, 23:52

Default Secret bunker found in Normandy

There have been articles in the press in the last few days, of a very large bunker complex discovered near Grandcamp-Maisy in Normandy. It has been buried since the war and it is reported that a lot of items were still lying in it, such as jackboots, books, letters, maps, radio equipment, even an RAF Log Book, possibly from a downed flyer. The 20 acre site was discovered by Englishman, Gary Sterne who had been given an old military map by an American veteran, this gave clues of something important there, although no visible signs on the ground at first sight. It is thought that the battery here was responsable for the shelling of Omaha beach.

This complex contains hospital, cookhouse, radio room, as well as the battery. Forty buildings in all. The intention is to open it up as a museum, the locals are supporting this.

Richard
Old 26-01-06, 02:11
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default Bunker complex

Found this on a Google search:

http://hnn.us/roundup/comments/20887.html

Hidden for 60 years: the Nazi beach bunker found by Briton
Source: Guardian (UK) (1-23-06)

A secret underground military complex abandoned by the Nazis as allied forces stormed Normandy after D-day has been found by an English amateur historian.

Gary Sterne came across the series of bunkers that had lain untouched for more than 60 years after buying a second world war map from an old American soldier. Armed with his map he visited the area near the Normandy beaches of Utah and Omaha, where he found the entrance to the military complex hidden under bramble bushes. He was astonished to discover a labyrinth of bunkers, control rooms and equipment abandoned by the Germans.

Mr Sterne, a collector of military memorabilia, said he had been intrigued by the idea of a hidden complex after buying a 1940s German army map from a former US serviceman. He said he had no real idea what he was looking for when he visited the area detailed in the map around Grandcamp Maisy in Normandy.

"I didn't know where I was going but I started to walk across the field when suddenly I found myself walking on concrete," he told Ouest France newspaper.

"I followed the concrete right up to the edge of some trees and it was there I suddenly found the entrance to the underground block, then a tunnel, an office, a supplies warehouse, general quarters, a radio room, other blocks and, most importantly, a room with supports for 155mm guns," he added. "It even had an underground hospital. The Germans had left behind many personal possessions."

The complex is believed to be the most important of German defences constructed during the second world war.

Historians are now examining the site, which has been bought by Mr Sterne, who intends to turn it into a tourist attraction.

See also:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/internatio...693265,00.html

Cheers! Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 26-01-06, 04:17
Mr. HUP

Default And I Thought My Hobby Was Expensive...

WOW! This chap bought the complex??? I'll show this article to my wife when she sees my next purchase...Imagine the $ required to buy and then set up a museum. Any advice, Mike?
Old 26-01-06, 11:53
MLU Administrator

http://www.armourer.co.uk/maisybattery.htm
Old 26-01-06, 16:37
RIP

Default Hidden for 60 years?

Bty MAISY had French 155 mm howitzers M 1917. Photo 1948, LtCol Bertil Stjernfelt.
Attached Images

Old 27-01-06, 10:25

Richard,

Yesterday we had an item about the recently discovered bunkers on Telly, here in The Netherlands. The site looks quite impressive and is actually located quite close to the D514 road along the Normandy coast, close to the village of Maisy.

The site will be open for public from this March and a museum will be created, which will open in 2007.

Alex van de Wetering
Old 27-01-06, 11:06
Love CMP Military Vehicles

http://home.tiscali.nl/bunkerarchief...a_ijmuiden.htm
Old 27-01-06, 18:55

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex van de Wetering
Yesterday we had an item about the recently discovered bunkers on Telly, here in The Netherlands. The site looks quite impressive
Alex,

Thanks for that. There was a two page article in one of the UK daily papers this week, with greater details of how the guy found it and what is there. I also did a web site search and there was even an online article on the China daily newspaper site!

Richard
Old 05-01-08, 14:50
Paul

Default D-Day Omaha Beach

An article seen in today's Daily Mail here in the UK.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

Paul.