MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 06-05-07, 08:36

Default Canadian Vehicles on UN Service - UNEF & UNFICYP

I am researching Canadian military vehicles and especially want to find lists of CAR / CFR numbers of vehicles used on UN missions so that we can where possible, identify surviving examples.

e.g. Here in the Vancouver, BC area we have a 1967 M38A1 CDN2 CFR 67-08254 that I found original UN decals on under the camo paint while it was still in the surplus dealer's yard and a later owner found 3 Cypriot coins under the gas tank. We want to confirm its UN service with documents.
UNFICYP M38A1CDN2 jeep

A local fellow, Grant McAvoy, has a Ferret Mk. I ex-UN (likely Cyprus) but sadly he was unable to find the CAR/CFR number for a positive ID.

I am trying very hard to identify the jeeps and Ferrets used with UNEF and UNFICYP. I would welcome copies (or originals even better) of shipping lists, vehicle state reports and photos of said vehicles. I have located some ex-Canadian UNFICYP Ferrets - including one in Texas! Would also like to communicate with former drivers of these vehicles.

COLIN STEVENS, CD

seaforth72@gmail.com

Colin MacGregor Stevens, CD
Richmond, BC
Old 06-05-07, 17:32
carrier mech

I have a number of photos of the ferrets getting "chicken cages" put on over the tops, I guess for riot control, prior to them going over on the Bonaventure. There are also photos of them on the ship, getting craned off the deck, and a couple in UN Cypress service. None of the in service photos show the chicken cages, so my guess is it was an un-needed mod.

I'll see if I can find the photos. Not sure how many CFR numbers show up.

When I had my ferret, I spent an evening at the FGH museum looking for CFRs, in the hope of finding my ferret's photo whilein service. They had quite a number of photos, some in UN service, and some in Canada.

Last edited by rob love; 06-05-07 at 20:47.
Old 06-05-07, 18:18

Default Ferret "chicken cages"

Yes, I found a reference that says these roof-top cages were removed from the Ferrets right after they arrived in Famagusta, Cyprus.

Colin Stevens

Richmond, BC
Old 13-05-07, 16:08
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Canadian Vehicles on UN Service - UNEF & UNFICYP

Quote:
Originally posted by Colin Macgregor Stevens
I am trying very hard to identify the jeeps and Ferrets used with UNEF and UNFICYP. I would welcome copies (or originals even better) of shipping lists, vehicle state reports and photos of said vehicles. I have located some ex-Canadian UNFICYP Ferrets - including one in Texas! Would also like to communicate with former drivers of these vehicles.
Colin, If memory serves me right, you have two members of UNEF II in your backyard. Cpl Charles Daniels of 192 AEF and I believe Mac both served in Ismalia. They might have some info for you.
Old 13-05-07, 17:21

Default UNEF vs UNEF II

UNEF was in 1956-1967 and they used Ferrets in the Sinai Desert for the first while. During that mission they converted over to M38 / M38CDN jeeps with Brens and spotlights, and later still to M38A1 / M38A1CDN jeeps with Browning 1919A4 MMGs.

A strange decision because later in the mission, the Ferrets had hit land mines and crews survived - and sadly a jeep patrol was ambushed by Egyptians a Canadian driver was fatally wounded. If he had been in a Ferret he might have survived. Not sure why they made the change to softskin vehicles.

As it was Canada, the powers that be probably thought that the armoured scout cars looked too aggressive for peacekeeping.

In Afghanistan in the War on Terror (this is WAR and OCCUPATION DUTY, NOT Peacekeeping even though the media and even at least one military museum erroneously call it that) our troops were running about in open unarmoured Iltis 1/4 tons. Now they have tanks and armoured cars.

UNEF II mission was later and used no Ferrets.

Thanks for the tip but I need to talk to UNEF 1 vets.

COLIN

Richmond, BC
Old 13-05-07, 17:44
carrier mech

http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/departm...?intRefid=2970

Colin
Have you seen the above document? No CFRs, but a required quantity anyway.

I don't have a link to it, but there is a photo of a bunch of the Cdn UN ferrets in a workshop,
I used to wonder whether the ferrets used in Egypt came from Canada or were borrowed from another resource. Most of the Cdn ferrets had the rectagular drivers side windows, yet pretty much all the photos of the UN carriers in Egypt used by the Cdns show the odd shaped side windows of mk1/1 hulls.
I believe the Canadian ferret contract overlapped the mk1 into the mk1/1 production, so it may have been possible that these ferrets were all from the latter half of the contract. Seems like western Canada normally gets it's equipment last.
Old 14-05-07, 07:34

Default UNEF & UNFICYP Ferrets - Research

Yes, thank you, I have seen that web site and document - but have not yet had time to read it. I just returned from a week long trip to:
1. Research Ferrets at Lord Strathcona Horse Museum in Calgary and see the other Military Museums there too.
2. Meet with Ken Rachert to talk about Ferrets
3. For my Ferret picked up a C-42 radio and Browning MG mount (No. 8 Mk. I), First Aid kit tine and sapre barrel case. MG mount is British made but had no data plate.
4. Go to Edmonton to visit and do more research. Saw Don Wright's magnificent restored ex-British Army Ferret with turret. Visited with Reg Hodgson.
5. Drove home to Mission (near Vancouver).

I am still trying to determine WHICH Canadian Ferrets went to each UNEF and UNFICYP. In both cases vehicles stayed and troops rotated in and out, signing over barracks and vehicles.

UNEF (1st one --- 1956-1967) had 23 Ferrets sent from Canada on board HMCS Magnificent. I have only found CFR numbers for two of them as they renumbered them at some point to UNEF numbers for the duration. Not sure yet when and how they left and whether they went back to Canada or to Cdn NATO units in W. Germany. Anyone out there know?
:-)

UNFICYP had Ferrets sent from Canada. First batch (3 or 4?) by air and then quickly followed up by 12 on HMCS Bonaventure. Have identified 13 of c. 16 from photos. Again I am not yet sure when they left, how, and whether the came back to canada or went to our NATO units in W. Germany. I suspect some or all may have been rerouted through W. Germany - the only evidence being the W. German money and French matchbook covers found in a UNITED NATIONS Canadian Ferret (Grant McAvoy's in Abbotsford, BC). It was always green and had a yellow UNITED NATIONS decal on the right outside of the fighting compartment. Canadians appear to have used at least one British Ferret in UNFICYP as a turreted example(s) show up in several photos with Canadian decals on it.
I am especailly looking for any lists from the military or UN showing:
1. Canadian Army Registration numbers (CAR/CFR) of Ferrets sent to UNEF in Sinai 1957 Ideally a list showing CAR/CFR and corresponding UNEF assigned number)
2. Canadian Army Registration numbers (CAR/CFR) of Ferrets sent to UNFICYP in Cyprus
3. Canadian Army Registration numbers (CAR/CFR) of Ferrets sent to Canadian units in NATO in West Germany

Now the main thing I need for my Ferret is a nice deactivated Browning 1919A4 in Canada.... I'm not fussy - it can be in .30/06 or 7.62mm
;-)(Yes I know semi-auto versions are available from MARSTAR but they are expensive and as live firearms have certain limitations - e.g. I would have to be with them at all times while they were on display.)

COLIN

Richmond, BC
Old 18-05-07, 16:08

Hi Colin

I poured through the disc I have from the RCD of various vehicles in various times (pre-WW2, WW2, Korea, NATO, and Peacekeeping) and the fol are the only pics I can find for you that show UNEF/UN Ferrets and Jeeps that show CFR's.

First is a Ferret in (I believe) Cyprus and showing CFR # 54-82569

regards
Darrell
Attached Thumbnails
d1999-188-01.jpg  
Old 18-05-07, 16:09

Hi

Next is again ( I believe) Cyprus with a 106mm RR Jeep showing CFR 53-32248.

regards
Darrell
Attached Thumbnails
106 rr on jeep.jpg  
Old 18-05-07, 16:12

Hi

Finally a Jeep with UNEF # 1164. No sign of a Cdn CFR #. Note the bullet holes indicated in writing on the various places of the body.

All three are copyrighted by the RCD so seek permission from them if you want to publish.

*The pics on the disc are much bigger and I re-sized them to fit here on MLU.

Hope that is some help to you.

regards
Darrell
Attached Thumbnails
d1999-972-08.jpg  
Old 22-05-07, 23:28

Default second picture

Hi
I find your second picture very interesting as the vehicle next to the M38´s is a danish Ferret. These where leased from the British forces and where only used on Cyprus. Any chance hat you have other pic´s of danish vehicles. Normally they had the danish flag painted on front and rear, so they a easy to spot.

Best regards

Brian Brodersen
Denmark
Old 23-05-07, 06:38

Default Danish marked British Army LandRover in UNFICYP

Image from my web page at Colin Stevens' web page on Canadian Ferrets
won't display here, so go to my web page and scrolldown to the table listing all of the Canadian Ferrets - and go to the first one, 54-82500.

Photo shows the first Canadian Ferret, 54-82500 in convoy with a Danish marked British Army LandRover in Cyprus with UNFICYP. Identified in SENTINEL magazine as being 1968. page 34, October 1970

Richmond, BC
Old 23-05-07, 06:55

Default Darrell Zinck RCD photos

Neat photos. RCD Archives has sent me some photos already showing Ferrets in UNFICYP. Your photo of 54-82569 is the first in service photo of her that I have seen.

The shot up M38A1 with UNEF is likely the one my old Company Commander's brother-in-law was commanding and when they were ambushed by the Egytians his driver was fatally wounded.

The 106 RR jeeps are interesting as they have the guns fitted. There are some photos of Cdn AB Regt in UNFICYP driving 106 RR jeeps without the guns - with big UN painted on hood. Likely time of 1974 Turkish invasion.

I would like detailed copies of these please - either e-mail or CD. My personal e-mail is seaforth72@gmail.com I want to examine each of them in detail as I can learn from each one.

Thanks

Richmond, BC
Old 09-06-07, 19:44

Hi Colin

Sorry for the late reply. Your post must have got by me.

I am happy to send you better pics but I'm afraid you'll have to wait until I return to Canada in mid to late August. I posted the above pics while I was home on my leave but have since returned to Afghanistan.

Brian

I do recall there are additional Danish Ferret pics on that disc but you'll have to wait as well. See above.

regards
Darrell
Old 15-04-09, 14:37
MLU Administrator

Ferret CFR 54-82567 features in a Life Magazine picture captioned: "Cyprus. Date taken: 1964, photographer: Ralph Crane"

http://tbn0.google.com/hosted/images...55381f_landing
http://images.google.com/hosted/life...e3b9c4aa55381f

Plus another one?

http://tbn0.google.com/hosted/images...e51cb5_landing

H.
Old 05-03-21, 16:20
MLU Administrator

Default Ralph Crane's photos of UNIFCYP

The links above are dead. It may be better to look for LIFE pictures through this link: https://artsandculture.google.com/se...Crane%20cyprus

Click image for larger version

Name:	813d2ae187402743_large.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	120552 Click image for larger version

Name:	7bf3148ff2dd9d9a_large.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	120553

Name:	9c754e5f931cb459_large.jpg
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	120554
https://g.co/arts/KvPsr9cnD3KUCa9D9

Name:	62e9f2a141d731b5_large.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	120556
https://g.co/arts/xfsLX47DJ9nByW4GA

Name:	4a7914d3bc3dc385_large.jpg
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	120557
http://images.google.com/hosted/life...3bc3dc385.html
Old 18-03-21, 20:30

Hello Hanno....i own ferret 54-82589....thank you for bringing up Colins old post...i had never seen it....or the ferret photo from cyprus....589 served there and am collecting all ferret photos ....
Old 18-03-21, 22:35

Default special request for Darrell posting #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Zinck View Post
First is a Ferret in (I believe) Cyprus and showing CFR # 54-82569
In the picture of the Ferret....... head sticking out of the armored front.....

Do you have other pictures of that same guy..... or do you know is name

Possibly Master Warrant Officer.... Ordnance...... he served in Cyprus.....

Died last Summer of heart/age complications..named Marcel Des Gagnes......

........if it is him I would love to have a print, for his family, for the Remembrance Ceremony yet to be announced for the Summer of 21. His son his a Whirly bird Lt Col. in Ottawa.

Thanks for your efforts.

Bob Carriere
Canada
Old 19-03-21, 02:39

No figures for your research but in a recent (as in last couple of years) issue in the MVPA magazine was an article on Canadian vehicles in Bosnia.

Matt
Old 19-03-21, 02:53

History shall live on if we dont
Forget it...those with the connections keep digging and shareing info.....keep it alive....thank you all....
Old 19-03-21, 12:35

Default UN Ferrets

MVPA magazine History in Motion published the 'Basic White' article on UNPROFOR Vehicles last Oct-Nov which did feature a Canadian UN Ferret in Cyprus as the lead photograph.

Name:	Basic White - Oct-Nov 2020 copy.jpg
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	120918

This is a photograph of 82575 serving with the Royal Canadian Dragoons in Cyprus.

Name:	RCD 3 FV 701 Ferret 82575 (2) copy.jpg
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	120919
Old 19-03-21, 14:52
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cussins View Post
Hello Hanno....i own ferret 54-82589....thank you for bringing up Colins old post...i had never seen it....or the ferret photo from cyprus....589 served there and am collecting all ferret photos ....
Hello David, my pleasure. I have gone back to my previous posting and added three photos featuring Ferrets for you to enjoy.

If you go to https://artsandculture.google.com/se...Crane%20cyprus you may be able to find a few more?

E.g. https://artsandculture.google.com/as...mwFTvsioCFiBcA
and https://artsandculture.google.com/as...mwEQzOs_I2pu6w

Name:	TimeLife_image_114849336.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	120923
Old 19-03-21, 19:09

Hey Hanno...thank you for the links....found about 15 ferret photos that i had never seen.....love it....
Old 24-03-21, 03:53

There are also lots of photos of jeeps there also.