MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 21-09-03, 01:39

Default The Canadian Soldier by Jean Bouchery

For those interested Amazon.com has just begun shipping this item. Not affiliated with Amazon just happy with the price of 26.57 plus shipping.
Regards
Sean
Old 22-09-03, 12:20
MLU Administrator

Default vehicle content?

Can anyone tell me what the vehicle content is of this book? I'd like to know if it is worth buying for what is written about vehicles, markings, etc.

Is it similar to Bouchery's book The British Tommy in North West Europe, 1944-1945: Organization, Armament and Vehicles?

Thanks & regards,
Hanno
Old 22-09-03, 14:24
T-16, C15A

Default Soon ...

Hanno,

I am eagerly awaiting my copy. Clive Law at Service Publications has bent over backwards to keep us informed about this book that the publisher has been very much overdue with.

He tells us that it was shipped out last Saturday, so I exepect it by the end of the week. I will let you know about the good stuff contained therein.

Stewart
Old 22-09-03, 17:27
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Soon ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Stewart Loy
I will let you know about the good stuff contained therein.
Please do Stewbud, thanks!
Old 22-09-03, 19:25

Default Book

Hanno/Stewart

I have seen a copy of this, it follows the same format as the previous two books on the British army. Very good, very readable, a must have for all of us!!
Pete
Old 26-09-03, 00:37

Thumbs up Received the Book today

Gents;
I received my copy today from Amazon and I am much impressed. As Pete said it is in the same format as the others in the series and very readable. I can't vouch for historical accuracy as I haven't read it yet but the multitude of glossy pics will entertain me for hours.
Worth my 45.00 Cdn.

Sean
Old 01-10-03, 13:27
T-16, C15A

Default Re: Re: Soon ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Please do Stewbud, thanks!
Hanno,

I finally got a chance to review this book yesterday after work.

The book was delivered from our pal Clive at Service Publications - and was it ever packaged well. Plenty of bubble wrap, a cardboard box and another big thick envelope. I often get parcels that have been posted through a rock crusher, so getting the book in good condition was a welcome surprise.

The book follows the same format as the previous 2 in the series by this author. JB has learned a thing or two and this one is even better, in my opinion. The book is full of pictures of uniforms and small equipments used by Canadain soldiers in the NW European theater. Very few of the confusing reprints from French language training pamphlets are employed - much to the delight of this monolingual reader. The detail shots of uniformed models looks good, although the uniforms looka little green to me.

The issue of recycling photographs is a thorny one. I for one, think that a new book should have new stuff in it, by and large. This one uses very few new pictures. Anyone who has surfed for long, or has more than a few other WW2 reference materials will find few new pictures for reference. There are a couple good colour snaps I had never seen previously, but not nearly enough, thought I. I know that it is hard to get new material for a subject that is 60 years old, but I had hoped for more.

That said, the work can serve as a stand alone refernce for the Canadian WW2 person. By including some old pics, the author provides a very complete review of what our boys did over there. The organizational flow charts, orders of assembly, unit histories will provide many hours of fun over the coming winter for me. MV build ups of any scale will benefit from these tables and marking references.

On the particluar point of pictures of CMPs - not too much new to offer, as I have stated. There are a few new armour pics, but not nearly enough views of trucks, nor armour for me. War production of vehicles is laid out, with the ubiquitous Universal Carrier at the top of the list for most numbers of armoured vehicles made in Canada - but where are the pictures of these impressive vehicles? Without a few good pictures of UC can a military book be complete? Methinks not.

Finally, I think the book is a good buy. I especially like the authors note on the back cover. Overall a well done work.

I hope this helps.

Stewart
Old 01-10-03, 13:39
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Re: Re: Soon ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Stewart Loy
I hope this helps.
It does, Stewart - a lot!

Thanks,
Hanno