MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 30-09-03, 00:30
In Vino Veritas

Default Alcan Highway

Well, just made it back from my 2000km detour along the Cassiar and Alaskan highways and brought back some pics. Watson lake CMP, green, chev Johnson's Crossing CMP bits, ford Khaki, and Liard hotsprings chev, burnt.
Sean
Attached Images

Old 30-09-03, 12:33
CMP

A really interesting conversion!!!
Old 01-10-03, 07:17
In Vino Veritas

Default Johnson's crossing

a hardy sole sitting leftover at Johnson's in the Yukon
Attached Images

Old 01-10-03, 07:20
In Vino Veritas

Default Liard Hotsprings Chev

Low mileage only driven mon, tues weds thurs fri sat and sundays...
Attached Images

Old 01-10-03, 07:22
In Vino Veritas

Default More P&H crane

P&H conversion on a chev
Attached Images

Old 01-10-03, 07:24
In Vino Veritas

Default Sorry, Johnson's CMP was..

...A ford. And I have Hi res , and more pics of said vehicles should someone want them.
Attached Images

Old 11-10-03, 17:33

Default new to web page

snowtractor, very interesting photos, i have asked my mom who works at the cfb shilo museum to join us and john who is at the air museum in bdn mb to join us as well. there are two of those flat nose trucks in the dump in churchill mb plus john has one he is looking at restoring. do you have any more info on the alcan highway, it is great how they biult it. thanks
Old 12-10-03, 00:44
RIP

Default CMP Description

there are two of those flat nose trucks in the dump

Don't you all just love this? Well done King of Obsolete.

Bob
Old 12-10-03, 01:04

Default thank you

the best part of the town of churchill is that is was a american military base. i was looking at at 1965 IH semi truck with 3200 miles on it and a FWD crane with 3900 miles on it. these are in excellent shape but my pictures did not turn out. but i'll post a picture of the plane that is the local party spot. thanks
Attached Thumbnails
white knuckle airlines 11.jpg  
Old 12-10-03, 11:12
former Resident Historian

Default Wing-in GROUND-effect

I take it that the [C-46 Curtis Commando I assume??] is a Canadian Ekranoplan, and is a Wing-in-Ground-Effect aircraft? Or rather Wing-Into-Ground-Effect. Is that the same town that has a polar bear problem that we see on TV?
Old 12-10-03, 15:21

Default thanks

i'm glad you enjoy the picture of the plane, it crashed in 1979 when it lost it's left engine. it is a direct line to the airport and only 1/2 mile short. but it just could not climb. the churchill web does not seem to be working right now but it is the place of the polar bears. you can read more on us making a living with old equipment here, thanks

http://www.islandfalls.net/barnes/ca...sapril2003.htm

thanks
Old 12-10-03, 15:51

Thumbs up Re: thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by king of obsolete

http://www.islandfalls.net/barnes/ca...sapril2003.htm
Joey,
Fascinating reading your newletter above. Will catch up with the other letters later. I know this is not exactly military related, but a picture of your Linn tractor would be good.

Richard
Old 12-10-03, 16:15

Default thanks

richard, if you read the may edition of the newsletter,it tell how the famous black cat was a military trackson swing crane. the serial number even has the military numbers on it, so 1941 and i;m still useing it to make a living is no bad. also i have asked rene to join us from the linn tractor club in new york, because the linn tractors were used for military purposes too. i'll let rene explain. it is a very rare history about them. this picture is my 1945 linn tractor, one of 3 that i own, and one of the ones that moved the complete town of lynn lake in the early 1950's. hope you enjoy, there is lots of military history in northern manitoba, prime example is the air museum in brandon mb needed a military bus for their museum collection, i got them one out of the bush up here, very complete and delivered it to them. plus those flat nose trucks were used up here during the war to haul fish, there might be one or 2 on the bottom of the lake. the cold water up here does not rust anything, old cyril has lost a cat thru the ice and 4 years later salvaged it, and drove it home. thanks
Attached Images

Old 12-10-03, 17:02

Default Linn tractors

King of Obsolete wanted me to post about Linn tractors and WW2. Most of their work was on the civilian/construction side of things, like dams, factory sites, airfields, and the Canol project, they did alright on frozen ground but never floated well in the muskeg in the few weeks they call "summer" up there. Because the tracks are placed in about the same place as wheels would be, and a outrigger frame member to increase stability/rigidity of the track/weight distribution prevents them from just welding on wider track pads like they did with the Cats. I know on the Alcan they used a lot of Autocars and even Cletracs! The main thing as I understand it, there werer three main dumps like Johnson's Crossing where in recent years they began cleaning up the scrap abandonned along the roads up there, Don Chew of Brighton, CO, showed me aphotos of some complete looking WW2 trucks that were lined up along the road that in the space of a few years had been burnt out by vandals. Also one of the Cat powered pumping stations on the Canol route that had only recently been smashed up. I've seen the same sort of thing here in our much smaller "Adirondack park", would seem as if the anti-machinery people wanted to see that stuff removed from the wilderness, they would understand it would more likely be removed from the woods if it can be salvaged for use, instead of just for scrap metal.
Attached a 1937 Linn model "B" 20 ton capacirty, with semi-trailer for use at Arnold's Pond, ME by the Madawaska Lumber Co. (Sorry I don't have any military unit photos at hand)
Old 12-10-03, 18:49

Default thanks

rene your picture did not show up, i'll start a new thread showing the linn tractors. thanks