MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 18-04-24, 04:57
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default F8

The F8 has a shortened/welded together chassis , this was done at the factory.

I have some manifolds somewhere. left over from when I had the MCP 11D truck.

On another topic, the F8 I was told of in Sydney years ago....is a C8. The owner, was talking to me on the phone, he got mixed up and he told me he has a F8 when what he actually owns is a C8.
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 18-04-24, 17:11

Default My F8

Bob,
The F8 that I had is still around in Ontario but the V8 in it is not the original. In fact I gave you the original engine (very seized) a few years back. I can't remember if either of the manifolds were still on it or if I used them in the rebuild. My recall is that the manifolds on later V8's were too wide to fit in the F8.
Old 18-04-24, 17:24

Default More on "my" F8

I found these photos of the V8 I got from Brian Asbury. It needed a lot of work but those are the manifolds that went into the restored truck, Clearly the left is different from the right. It was a cab 12 by the way.
Attached Thumbnails
100_0903.jpg   100_0904.jpg  
Old 18-04-24, 23:50

Default Still have them David......

Long time no speak...... nice to hear from you.

Yes still have the parts and available for the same price to MLU members.... you only had the RH side exhaust manifold which is clearly the larger size and stored in the barn with the spare head...... our cab 12 Ford would have had the wider frame.... the F8 frame was really anemic ....so was the C8 converted civilian frame.

As far as I know ..... we have never willingly scrapped any usable CMP parts.....some bad frames were disassembled and bad sections scrapped but everything else has been stored and awaiting someone in need...... even questionable rims deemed unsafe for the road have been marked with a "Y" fro yard use and retired t help move hulks around the property. Far easier to move the hulk close to the barn ....close to all the tools than hard wrenching in the field. People have been nice to me when I needed parts and I try to reciprocate.

Hope to see you in August.
Canada
Old 19-04-24, 03:41

With a little more digging the issue with F8 manifold clearance has already been brought up here previously in Jim Prices thread “Exhaust Manifold - Right Side - F8”
http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11790

I will theorize the original manifold “78-9430” which is mounted flat against the block had a heat soak, expansion and contraction issue. This caused cracking and would be replaced by what was readily available through post war years.
With the 15/30/60 having larger numbers and longer production run. Its purpose built chassis had more clearance the issue was never noticed, allowing the use of 21-9430 car manifold.

With the F8 being such a short run and based on the civilian chassis there have been a few other oddities I’ve come across. Including the steering, suspension and brakes. The exhaust clearance in some ways isn’t a surprise.
Old 20-04-24, 00:39

Just a couple of comments on these recent posts;
I had the pleasure of seeing Neil's 8cwt just a couple of weeks ago and it looked great. If you were not already aware of it, vehicles that have been restored at the Yeo "facility" are second to none in quality and I am eager to see the final product when the 8cwt is completed.
David, that blue V8 appears to be the one I traded to Brian many years ago. At that time it was a tired and tempermental engine so it did need a lot of "love". By the way it came out of a Ford 13 cab gun tractor, which has since been restored with a high performance Mercury engine.
And finally hats off to Bob C. because I am one of the many people he has shared his knowledge and store of spare parts with. One of these days I hope to see his restored Chev and see how he managed to get his feet into the cab to push the pedals!
Old 20-04-24, 14:06

Default "My" Nov '41 F8

Hi Bob
Actually that engine worked very well after several stuck valves were freed up - no really major work necessary. Just for old times sake - photo of "my" truck as purchased from Paul Singleton - and as finished before I sold it - couldn't get really decent tires!

Click image for larger version

Name:	C8May2305 013.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	904.5 KB
ID:	137490 Click image for larger version

Name:	cotttruckjul07 018.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	886.8 KB
ID:	137491 Name:  IMG_3022 (640x480) (400x300).jpg
Views: 50
Size:  122.5 KB
Old 22-04-24, 23:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Phillips View Post
One of these days I hope to see his restored Chev and see how he managed to get his feet into the cab to push the pedals!
Exactly the reason I sold the F-8 to David. I realized that being 6’5” with side 15 shoes I would never be able to enjoy driving it.