MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 23-09-08, 15:02
Cameron

Default paint formula for olive drab?

I've done a bit of research and under all the layers of paint on our UC there is SCC 15 Olive drab (also called US olive drab). I'm wondering if anyone has a cross reference number so that I can go to my local auto body place and have them make up the paint.

any ideas?

Thanks

Cameron
Old 23-09-08, 21:20
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Save yourself the trouble and purchase some GCC paint (Gillespie Coatings Company). They make US OD in an easy to use enamel, available in gallon cans or spray bombs. You can order direct from the US or purchase locally (Orillia) at Willys Acres.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 23-09-08, 23:23
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post
I've done a bit of research and under all the layers of paint on our UC there is SCC 15 Olive drab (also called US olive drab).
Cameron, please note SCC 15 Olive Drab is similar, but not the same as US Olive Drab. Search for Mike Starmer on this forum, buy one of his publications with a SCC 15 Olive Drab sample, take it to your paint supplier and have your paint mixed up.

Regards,
Hanno
Old 24-09-08, 00:23

Default Mix up

A vet in the Regiment told me they got a gallon of flat black and poured yellow in it slowly while stirring. Not too much yellow and you have WW2 OD.

Try it with a quart. It works.

Peter Simundson.
Old 24-09-08, 07:29

Default paint color

hi cameron: it's robert here in vancouver. i don't own a carrier, but do have a couple of cmp's. don't know what your color reference is, but for what it's worth, i obtained a untouched cmp part from brian asbury a couple of years ago. it was painted in the original "canadian" olive drab. this color is alot more bronze in color and not so "drab" as the current colors on the market. i finished my last jeep in this color to keep it as canadian as possible. at a gathering of military vehicles, this color just jumped out and received rave reviews!!! if you need, i can send you a sample so your automotive paint dealer can match it. cheers...robert
Old 26-09-08, 19:43
Addicted to Drab

Default Macdonald and White in Windsor Ontario

For those who don't know.

Macdonald and White is a paint supplier here in Windsor Ontario. In fact they were the original suppliers to Ford Canada for paints used on the vehicle production during the war. Demand got so large they had to build a 3 story annex next to their shop. The company is still in business and I buy all my paint there. They do a fantastic job of matching paint chips and now have quite a variety of ww2 color codes available. In fact I have an order in for another Gal of Light Stone 61. At 35$ a gallon and tax is an excellent price. If you need more infor pm me or go online and look them up.

cheers from Windsor Ontario

Mike Timoshyk
Old 28-09-08, 18:54

Mike, you are right on with Macdonald & White paint. Brian Gough, Les Fisher and I have been using it for 20 years. We found a gallon of their WW2 paint and then found out they were still in business all these years later. The price is certainly right but shipping hazardous material is a killer. We are lucky that Les' inlaws live just outside Windsor. I have done experiments on my mail box
and the paint stands up real well in all that weather. After a few years it does fade but so does all enamel. A better paint to use that doesn't fade is the two part epoxy but it is $$$$$$$. For our purposes where the vehicles don't have long term outside storage this paint is great.
Cheers,
Barry

Every twenty minute job is one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.
Old 28-09-08, 21:47
Addicted to Drab

Default MacDonald and White Paints

Hi Barry,

I am going to investigate more with the owner/manager and try and do an little historical write-up for this forum. I am sure they must have old fotos and statistical information that while, mundain to others, should be interesting to those who lurk and hangout here.

Barry....ever tried using the bus service. When boxed up and secured correctly there should be no problems.

cheers

Mike Timoshyk....just days away from roadability....whooo hoooo
Old 30-09-08, 00:09
carrier mech

I have always just used the olive drab (Gillespie will do) and add more red oxide primer until it has that colour that falls just between green and brown. With the old Cdn olive drab I used to mix the old olive drab at 75% to 25% red oxide to get the clour that amtched what NOS parts I could find.