MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 23-10-08, 08:32

Default i just bought a CMP! and need help identifying it..

hi everyone, Im new to this site.My name is Jon and i live in Kelowna B.C. Canada. i just bought an old CMP last week, and i am in need of some help.

I was out driving around looking for new dirtbike trails around the city i live in, and came across an area of forest with alot of old trucks parked in. my curiosity got the best of me and i started snooping around. after about 30 minutes i came across an old army truck. i thought it was really cool looking and knew as soon as i saw it i had to have it. so i started asking around the area and tracked down the guy that owned it. i easilly talked him into selling it to me for $500 Canadian. The bad part is it doesnt have any paperwork since it has been sitting for 25 years.

When i bought/found it i had no idea what it was, all i knew is that it was a cool looking old army truck. so after i got it home i started reaserching what it is. after looking around on the web trying to identify this thing i have come to the conclusion that it is a 1941 cab 12 Chevrolet C15A 4x4.

Its in very good condition for sitting 25 years. the previous owner said he used it as a farm truck and then one day just parked it and never drove it again, so this thing is almost fully complete (except for the passenger compartment engine cover - "Doghouse") and not really any rust anywhere. the only real damage is the headlight bucket is dented. the engine still shows oil at exactly full mark, and 2 of the tires still held air. the tranny and t case still shift aswell. the brake master is dried up though.

Anyways, i can find any data plates or chasiss numbers are any identifing number anywhere. i found the casting numbers on the engine and tranny and tcase but thats it. there is also a plate on the engine saying it was rebuilt in "10-45" and the tires have the year 1945 on them so im guessing after the war it got a total overhaul and then sold off to a private party.

So my question is Where can i look for chassis numbers or any other important numbers??? i have already looked on the front left frame rail and cant see anything. can some one help me? i will post pictures of it later. thank in advance! wow that was alot of typing. :
Old 23-10-08, 08:53

Old 23-10-08, 10:29
Andrew

Welcome to the forum Jon
Congratulations on the c15a
You are right with the chev c15a 1941 cab 12
It does look to be in good order and dosen't appear to be missing too much
Good price too
They don't usually have chassis numbers and the main identification plates are located on the drivers side panel of the engine cover(3 piece engine cover)
Engine number is located on the drivers side of the motor ,usually just behind the distributor on a flat section,sometimes in front of dizzy or behind valve side plate
Do you intend on an original restoration ?
Post a few pictures of the internal cab and dash array
Good luck with it

Custodian of the "Rare and Rusty"

Last edited by aj.lec; 23-10-08 at 21:59.
Old 23-10-08, 15:42

Default Welcome to the CMP world

Jonny

Looks like a good find, the body is in very good condition compared to some that have been found and restored. If you are new to MLU I think you are going to find a wealth of information and people willing to help.

Good to see another Pattern 12 being restored.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 23-10-08, 19:37

Congrats Jon!

Your C15 looks like my C8 on steroids. I hope you enjoy your as much as I am enjoying mine!
Old 24-10-08, 04:05
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Nice

hi Jonny

The most important thing is: you have found the MLU forum. The collective knowledge here will have your truck running again in no time .

That is a very nice find... amazing what is still sitting around the bush waiting to be discovered.

Please realize it is a long road , the restoration game .. you need to be silly or something.. be patient and ask many questions .. we all start out with little idea.

Mike
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 20-11-08, 04:15
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny View Post
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site. My name is Jon. I just bought an old CMP last week, and I have come to the conclusion that it is a 1941 cab 12 Chevrolet.....
I see why you bought a Chev, as it looks like you've already lost some fingertips adjusting the distributor on a Ford CMP!

Actually, it's a shame that you didn't find a Ford, as going by your other trucks, there's a lot you could do with a Flathead in a CMP.

** Purists hear sound of fingernails on blackboard**
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blower.JPG (58.0 KB, 55 views)
Old 20-11-08, 21:19

Hi Jon,

Welcome. MLU-ers are scattered all over the world. I have just added the third continent to this thread. Often you ask a question just before going to bed at your end of the world and when you get up you have reactions from other parts of the world where day is night, or night is day....

Anyway good to see another MLU-er in the 20's! I also belong to that group for another half a year or so and also bought my first CMP earlier this year, a Chevrolet C8 FFW 1940.

Have fun here!

Alex

p.s. kinda like the other projects as well. I am restoring two Fiat 500's, one Abarth 695 SS and one Giannini 500 TV. Well nevermind.....both small Fiats the size of the tires on your black truck....
Old 07-02-09, 03:09
Derek Heuring

Default Texas Longhorn fan in B.C.

Yes, there are Texas Longhorn fans throughout the world, even B.C.

HOOK 'EM HORNS!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg -Hookemhorns.jpg (12.3 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg cooltruck027.jpg (76.4 KB, 35 views)
Old 07-07-10, 10:51

Jonny,

How is the cab12? Any luck recovering it yet?

Alex