MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 07-11-09, 02:37

Default Looking for Camo paint schemes...

Looking at painting my 67 M38A1 in the right camo scheme. Is it the 2 or 3 colour pattern?? As well, does anyone have the details for painting an M100 to match?

Tom
Old 14-11-09, 03:03
Mark Stennett

Hi

I have been following this thread as I too have a CDN3 to paint.
I did find a thread showing the camo in 3 colors but not the color codes.
If you send me a P.M I'll send youd the diagrams.

Cheers
Old 14-11-09, 04:22
RIP

Army brat
Can you share on the forum?
Clive
Old 14-11-09, 15:15
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Hanno will use camoflage..

Hanno and our Dutch brothers will have to cammo their cars to look like bicycles..or taxi's..
Great place to buy a car..no tax now,but not to drive.. .07/Mile.
Poop..!!

Quote:
Dutch drivers to pay tax on road time, not on car
AP

Sat Nov 14, 5:22 am ET

AMSTERDAM – Dutch drivers will pay less to buy a car but will be charged tax for every mike on the road, a system the government says will reduce traffic jams, fatal accidents and carbon emissions.

The Cabinet approved a bill Friday calling for drivers of an average passenger car to pay a base rate of euro0.03 per 1 kilometer (7 US cents per mile), beginning in 2012. Drivers of heavier, more polluting vehicles will pay more, and the cost will go up for driving in peak hours.

GPS will track the time, hour and place each car moves and send the data to a billing agency.

But the annual road tax and purchase tax for new cars will be abolished, reducing the price of a new car 25 percent, the Transport Ministry said.

Nearly 6 out of 10 drivers will benefit under the system, the ministry said, but government revenue would remain the same. Public transportation, including taxis, will be exempt.

The kilometer tax has been debated for several years, amid concerns that it would unjustly raise the cost of car travel and intrude on privacy.

The ministry said, however, the travel information would be protected, and the data would not be accessible to the government for other purposes.

The ministry calculated that overall traffic will drop about 15 percent, peak-hour congestion will be halved, traffic deaths will fall 7 percent and carbon emissions from road travel will be cut by 10 percent.

The tax will increase every year until 2018 and could be adjusted if it fails to change traffic patterns.
Old 14-11-09, 16:27
carrier mech

The M series of that vintage were painted a 3 color cam. The colors were flat black, olive green, and flat green. On the cam scheme shown below, 1 is olive, 2 is black, and 3 is green.

Here is a side view of my jeep showing the cam pattern.

I have the patterns at home for the M series vehicles, including the trailers. Unfortunately I am wintering in warmer climates right now, but should be back home in January in case nobody else details the patterns.

I recently noticed that Aaardvark surplus in Ontario has original 3 color cdn cam paint in the gallons. It is likely getting pretty stale by now, but with enough mixing, could be made to work. There are some colors available from the US that will also come close. For the flat black I just use the tremclad flat black.

Last edited by rob love; 14-11-09 at 16:33.
Old 14-11-09, 19:17
MUTT Guy

On the topic of paint...

I'm posted to Gagetown and have a buddy who can get me a great deal on sandblasting my M151A2. Since i'm gonna have much more spare time than I do now, i'm thinking of going through with it and getting the body as cleaned up as possible.

My intent then is to paint it in exactly the same process that it would have been originally, starting at the factory, then finally the 3 Colour IRR Cam Pattern and stenciling it had prior to disposal.

The factory part is easy, as the Body was Semi-Gloss OD inside and out, and the Power Pack and Diffs were Flat Black.

From looking at the 1 Service Battalion M151A2 I have, it was roughly masked and then painted a Base IRR Colour, followed by the remainder of the Cam Pattern. The underside (bottom, wheelwells etc) and Engine Compartment were left Semi-Gloss OD. Just the "exposed" portions of the Body were painted in IRR including the Interior.

So my question is, what Colour should the IRR Base Coat be? Looking at mine, its very hard to tell wether it was IRR OD or Flat Green:

Lastly, from the experienced painters, how many Gallons would I be looking at to:

Do the complete Body in Semi-Gloss OD inside and out,
Exterior Base Coat in the IRR Colour required, and
For the remainder of the IRR Cam.

Thanks

Scotty
Old 15-11-09, 03:17
carrier mech

The complete body in semi OD will be just around a gallon, unless you do multi coats. Most of the mutts I bought were sprayed or brushed in the (ugly) flat green on the inside. Expect to use about a gallon of the IRR flat green, and the other colors (black and OD) will be under a quart each.

Personally, I would do the semi gloss underneath, then undercoat the underneath including inside the wheel wells as was originally done with the Ziebart. Between the sandblasting effect of the wheels and the operators using the high temp steam jennies on the trucks, not a lot of the ziebart remained in the wheel wells.

Sandblasting will get into areas that the paint gun will not. Use extra effort trying to get paint underneath the strengthening lips on the top edges of the body.

Last edited by rob love; 04-02-11 at 01:32.
Old 15-11-09, 15:34
Mark Stennett

Hi Clive

Someone beat me to it! The diagrams below are the ones I have

Cheers
Old 17-11-09, 03:08

Default aaardvark sales

Hello Guys

Re: I recently noticed that Aaardvark surplus in Ontario has original 3 color cdn cam paint in the gallons.

I have tried e-mail, phone and even had a friend drop by to check on them. They do not answer or return phone messages or e-mails. I am going to write them next. If i have any luck i will let you know.

Eric
Old 17-11-09, 03:15
MUTT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
Hello Guys

Re: I recently noticed that Aaardvark surplus in Ontario has original 3 color cdn cam paint in the gallons.

I have tried e-mail, phone and even had a friend drop by to check on them. They do not answer or return phone messages or e-mails. I am going to write them next. If i have any luck i will let you know.

Eric
Agree'd... Same experiences so far.
Now that i'm actually back home for a while, i'm actually thinking about driving up there myself. He's not even an hour from me. I'd like to get my hands on some before the move.

Scotty
Old 17-11-09, 15:56
carrier mech

Back when they used to sell guns I heard they were hard to deal with. Some things never change. If anyone in Ontario does manage to get a hold of them, I would be in for 4 gallons of each of the 2 greens. I would have to figure something out for transport to Manitoba.

Last edited by rob love; 17-11-09 at 16:08.
Old 17-11-09, 16:21
MUTT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
Back when they used to sell guns I heard they were hard to deal with. Some things never change. If anyone in Ontario does manage to get a hold of them, I would be in for 4 gallons of each of the 2 greens. I would have to figure something out for transport to Manitoba.
I'd be happy to pick-up for folks, i'm just waiting to get some sort of indication from the seller that this is still available.

I'd hate to annoy the guy by showing up un-announced. His Website doesn't indicate that he encourages "drop-ins"

Scotty
Old 17-11-09, 17:53

I tried to email him about the paint the other day, but all my emails bounced. Not sure how to get a hold o fhim now.
Old 28-11-09, 13:44
M38A1 CDN3

Default Cam paint

Do any of the respondees to this thread know what the specific FS-595 5 digit colour codes are?

OD= xxxxx

Black= xxxxx

Flat (Forest) Green= xxxxx

Rob, Scotty et al?
Old 28-11-09, 14:59
carrier mech

Colour....................cdn spec# US equivalent
Flat black................512-301
flat green................503-319 34079
olive drab................503-321 34082

http://www.hedgehoghollow.com/buzz/C.../army_clr.html

Last edited by rob love; 28-11-09 at 15:04.
Old 28-11-09, 19:01
Gilles Chartrand

Quote:
The complete body in semi OD will be just around a gallon, unless you do multi coats. Most of the Iltis I bought were sprayed or brushed in the (ugly) flat green on the inside. Expect to use about a gallon of the IRR flat green, and the other colors (black and OD) will be under a quart each.

Personally, I would do the semi gloss underneath, then undercoat the underneath including inside the wheel wells as was originally done with the Ziebart. Between the sandblasting effect of the wheels and the operators using the high temp steam jennies on the trucks, not a lot of the ziebart remained in the wheel wells.

Sandblasting will get into areas that the paint gun will not. Use extra effort trying to get paint underneath the strengthening lips on the top edges of the body.
The Ziebart is an expensive undercoating, what we use with are vehicles is an undercoating we purchase at Canadian Tire used to ba called Hippo Guard, it is easy to apply can be painted and is very tough. The cost is about $60 to $70 for a gallon. You apply the product with a rockguard gun. To do the underdide of an MLVW or M135 take about 1 hour. We have done 8 to 10 vehicles and no problems. Gilles
Old 28-11-09, 20:21
Gilles Chartrand

Default Paint 3 colors

When we want to paint the 3 color camo, our biggest problem is getting the right color of green paint, there is the light green and the dark green. The dark green is not a problem but we have not been able to find the right light green paint. If anyone has a sample of the 60`s and 70`s light green please contact me. I buy my paint brand new, what I do is get the right color sample, go to NAPA and they send it to a small manufacturer who makes me a sample, if it is correct I order the paint. The minimum buy is 10 gallons.
For our large trucks we use a color called US Marine, Forest Green, we purchased the paint from Willy`s Acres near Barrie.
If you purchase any older surplus types paints, you put the can on the drill press, attach a paint stir and turn on the machine at low speed. As the drill turns we rotate the can and lower and raise the paint mixer,adding a diluant if required. You have to be careful not to push down too hard as you will pierce the bottom of the paint can. (have experienced the mess ). Every year we paint 2 to 3 trucks, this winter we will be doing bodywork to 2 MLVWs and then painting them.
For your information, within the next 2 years all commercial paint will be the waterborne type, so no more enamel, acrylics etc.. This means that if you have a particular type of paint that you are familiar working with, the new paints might not produce the same results and the application process might differ.
So if anyone has the sample light green paint please contact me. Gilles
Old 28-11-09, 20:30
MUTT Guy

Join the club on the hunt for IRR Green paint.

I'll offer $75 CAD plus shipping to anyone who can get me a Gallon of the original IRR Green (Pea Green).

Everything else can be had from Rapco or Marcus. That damn IRR Green so hard to find. I'd much rather just nurse an old can back to life than attempt getting reproduction paint.

Scotty
Old 28-11-09, 20:47
Gilles Chartrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by armybuck041 View Post
Join the club on the hunt for IRR Green paint.

I'll offer $75 CAD plus shipping to anyone who can get me a Gallon of the original IRR Green (Pea Green).

Everything else can be had from Rapco or Marcus. That damn IRR Green so hard to find. I'd much rather just nurse an old can back to life than attempt getting reproduction paint.

Scotty
Find me a sample and I will get some made. Gilles
Old 28-11-09, 20:50
Gilles Chartrand

Quote:
Colour....................cdn spec# US equivalent
Flat black................512-301
flat green................503-319 34079
olive drab................503-321 34082

http://www.hedgehoghollow.com/buzz/C.../army_clr.html
I will check with NAPA to see if I can match the paint. Gilles
Old 10-12-09, 21:25
MUTT Guy

On my way home from a Costco trip in Peterborough, I tried to find "Aardvark Surplus". Apparently he has no storefront, as an address that was on one of his Web Pages ended up being a private address. It didn't look like a wise thing for me to bang on the door looking for paint.

Maybe someone else may have better luck through snail mail, as I suspect his inventory is in a Barn somewhere nearby.

Scotty