MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 09-02-20, 21:23
MLU Administrator

Question Movie: The Last Vermeer (aka "Lyrebird")

Who has seen the movie "The Last Vermeer"? I am asking as it was released September 2019 in the USA during the Telluride Film Festival and in Canada during the Toronto International Film Festival. It hasn't been released (yet?) here in Holland, but I read somewhere it will be released in May this year.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8337320/

I'm asking because I am curious how the scene my truck was used for turned out. The scene shows a column of trucks and infantry marching through Amsterdam.

The footage was shot in 2018, so it's a long time waiting to see the result.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180415_110053_resized.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	488.5 KB
ID:	111853

See some footage shot during the filming here: https://www.at5.nl/artikelen/180848/...e-wereldoorlog

Name:	431374.w800.c786b8b.5f4e423.q90.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	111854 Click image for larger version

Name:	431373.w800.706001c.d252ba2.q90.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	111855
Old 10-02-20, 02:46
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Editing

Hanno

Don't be surprised if your F15A scene ends up on the editing room floor. The whole movie business is run by people that have no idea of vehicle history. Will they ever learn enough to employ a decent vehicle advisor ? I was on set during the filming of 'The Dunera Boys ' they had a Land Rover in the convoy scenes, 1940 oh yes. Bob Hoskins was there on set with Warren Mitchell . I informed the props lady , my Jeep isn't correct for 1940 but she ignored me. The ship DUNERA shipped out German Jewish refugees to Australia .Being German nationals, they were under armed guards and shoved into a internment camp on arrival in Aust.
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 10-02-20 at 02:54.
Old 10-02-20, 11:08
MLU Administrator

Default Hollywood production

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
Don't be surprised if your F15A scene ends up on the editing room floor.
Yes, I know that is a distinct possibility in the film industry

Quote:
The whole movie business is run by people that have no idea of vehicle history. Will they ever learn enough to employ a decent vehicle advisor ? I was on set during the filming of 'The Dunera Boys ' they had a Land Rover in the convoy scenes, 1940 oh yes. Bob Hoskins was there on set with Warren Mitchell . I informed the props lady , my Jeep isn't correct for 1940 but she ignored me. The ship DUNERA shipped out German Jewish refugees to Australia .Being German nationals, they were under armed guards and shoved into a internment camp on arrival in Aust.
In this case Mike, I think it is the opposite. While indeed the producer wanted to hire a Dodge Weapon Carrier, a team of us convinced we could provide the correct Canadian vehicles, hence the F15A, F60S LAAT (albeit in a troop carrying role), and the big Mack. Other vehicles were Jeeps in correct Canadian markings.

I was impressed by the level of detail of the props and dressing people. I had to take off my wrist watch, chances were it could be seen when holding my steering wheel, etc., etc.

The surroundings were also changed as far as practical, e.g. the red asphalt of the bike lanes were covered over with sheeting and blended into the rest of the asphalt. See the first picture above, you can see where the transition was made.

Hence my interest in seeing the end result - if it indeed not end up on the cutting room floor....

H.
Old 01-03-20, 12:19
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Hence my interest in seeing the end result - if it indeed not end up on the cutting room floor....
I’ve found a trailer: https://youtu.be/_Rtoaxb81H4

Not much to see of the column, but at least the scene didn’t end up on the cutting room floor!

H.
Old 01-03-20, 13:34

Default The Last Vermeer

The movie trailer scene showing the Canadian vehicles crossing the bridge looked pretty good. Some interesting 'details' from the street stills such as the Vickers MMG mounted in the LAAT's AA ring, berets worn like pizza's and the fellow sitting in the back of the Jeep wearing an empty Large Pack. Kudos though for arranging to have so many wartime Canadian vehicles in one place, the result was well worth the effort.
Old 01-03-20, 13:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
I was on set during the filming of 'The Dunera Boys ' they had a Land Rover in the convoy scenes, 1940 oh yes.
No news under the Sun. Tke final scene of "Ice Cold in Alex":

Name:	Alex.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	112350
https://i.postimg.cc/kGjJ3Jn1/Alex.jpg

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 01-03-20 at 20:08. Reason: attached picture