MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 27-02-06, 21:42
Film maker, CMP addict

Default A snakey story

I know you Canadians are a little wary when it comes to things that slither through long grass... I've just published a little story about one of these I had a couple of close encounters with last weekend on my blog

I don't want this story to put ANY of you off visiting our wonderful but sometimes deadly country..

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 28-02-06, 03:28
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Keith, what kind of snake id it happen to be? Here in Ontario, Canda, the worst we have to worry about is the odd Massasauga rattler, which is relatively safe, even if bit. Some people may have a reaction, it is poisonous afterall, but I don't think I ever heard of a fataity as it is docile and only confrontational when cornered.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 28-02-06, 04:01
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Snake

The common snake in the area is the red belly black snake, which is highly venomous. We also have the Eastern Brown, one of the deadliest in the world (second to the Taipan I believe). Both are aggressive.

Here's a quote:" This snake is active during the day and quick to flee when disturbed. When provoked, however, the Red-bellied Black Snake will hiss loudly with its head and forebody raised. Considered dangerously venomous. "

Source:

And another pic:

Source:

And another:

Source:

Welcome to Australia, land of CMPs and venomous fauna.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 28-02-06, 13:06
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Snake

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
The common snake in the area is the red belly black snake, which is highly venomous. We also have the Eastern Brown, one of the deadliest in the world (second to the Taipan I believe). Both are aggressive.

Here's a quote:" This snake is active during the day and quick to flee when disturbed. When provoked, however, the Red-bellied Black Snake will hiss loudly with its head and forebody raised. Considered dangerously venomous. "

Source:

And another pic:

Source:

And another:

Source:

Welcome to Australia, land of CMPs and venomous fauna.
Hi Keith...
Are them snakes good eatin'....???
Old 28-02-06, 13:16
Pops

Default snaks

Alex I skined a couple once and was going to tan their hides and boy did they stink, turned me of doing that again.

Max
Old 28-02-06, 15:23

Default Re: snaks

Quote:
Originally posted by Max Hedges
Alex I skined a couple once and was going to tan their hides and boy did they stink, turned me of doing that again.

Max
Max...
Drop them into a bucket of beer and drownd them and then skin them...Drink the beer while you are skinning them...you won't smell a t'ing...
Old 28-02-06, 15:44
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Re: snaks

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Blair
Max...
Drop them into a bucket of beer and drownd them and then skin them...Drink the beer while you are skinning them...you won't smell a t'ing...

Alex, I love your down home advice!

We have a few venomous snakes here in Texas; Coral, Water Mocassins, Cotton Mouths, Copperheads, and some Rattlers. Fortunately they aren't nearly as venomous as the Aussie snakes! Just cut a small X over the bite and get your friend to suck out the poison...just don't get bit on the ass or yer goin' to die!

CHIMO!

Last edited by sapper740; 28-02-06 at 15:53.
Old 28-02-06, 17:52

Default Re: Re: Re: snaks

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
Alex, I love your down home advice!

We have a few venomous snakes here in Texas; Coral, Water Mocassins, Cotton Mouths, Copperheads, and some Rattlers. Fortunately they aren't nearly as venomous as the Aussie snakes! Just cut a small X over the bite and get your friend to suck out the poison...just don't get bit on the ass or yer goin' to die!

CHIMO!
Sapper...
Bein's I'm a down homer,ex CE warrant officer with lots of Northern postings in my time,I got the opportunity to sample all kinds of odd grub...
Squirrel,beaver tail and legs,muskrat legs,frog,bear,moose nose,seal flipper,cod toungs,cheeks and fish eyes(Pinky Parker and I made my son in law gag when we scrambled to get at the fish eyes at a Chinese diner we had down town a few years ago...) eel,all kinds of internal organ meat,calfs nuts..
As a matter of fact I have a couple of pounds of bear pepperoni in the freezer that I can't wait til spring to BBQ...
But I have never had a chance to gobble up some snake..
Can't see that it could be too bad,as long as it is me eating him and not the other way around.That would suck...
Oh yes,snails and all different kinds of seafood that don't look very good but tastes great..
Spent a year in Italy and learned how to catch song birds to eat....
Dig a depression in the ground about two sqare feet and fill with water...
take a small tree branch stripped of leaves and smear non hardening gastket goo on it and span the puddle with it....
Within a little while some birds will find the puddle and come for a drink ..they will land on the stick..they can't let go to fly off then you just harvest your crop...Works right in my driveway in summer also...
Works for all kinds of little birds if you want to cage 'em...song birds ...doves ...pigeons....
Gastket goo should be a part of every ones survival kit...
Old 28-02-06, 18:49
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: snaks

Quote:
Sapper...
Bein's I'm a down homer,ex CE warrant officer with lots of Northern postings in my time,I got the opportunity to sample all kinds of odd grub...
Squirrel,beaver tail and legs,muskrat legs,frog,bear,moose nose,seal flipper,cod toungs,cheeks and fish eyes(Pinky Parker and I made my son in law gag when we scrambled to get at the fish eyes at a Chinese diner we had down town a few years ago...) eel,all kinds of internal organ meat,calfs nuts..
As a matter of fact I have a couple of pounds of bear pepperoni in the freezer that I can't wait til spring to BBQ...
But I have never had a chance to gobble up some snake..
Can't see that it could be too bad,as long as it is me eating him and not the other way around.That would suck...
Oh yes,snails and all different kinds of seafood that don't look very good but tastes great..
Spent a year in Italy and learned how to catch song birds to eat....
Dig a depression in the ground about two sqare feet and fill with water...
take a small tree branch stripped of leaves and smear non hardening gastket goo on it and span the puddle with it....
Within a little while some birds will find the puddle and come for a drink ..they will land on the stick..they can't let go to fly off then you just harvest your crop...Works right in my driveway in summer also...
Works for all kinds of little birds if you want to cage 'em...song birds ...doves ...pigeons....
Gastket goo should be a part of every ones survival kit...

Sounds like you'd never starve if lost in the bush...probably have to diet when you returned to civilization! I too have an inquiring palate and there is nothing I won't try once. Being from the left coast and an avid scuba diver I have partaken of the bounty of the sea; oysters, Sea Urchin roe, Sea Cucumber, shark, salmon and salmon roe, scallops, several varieties of clams, oolichans, Gooey-ducks, Dungeness crab, Red Rock crab, Cod, Greenling, Rock fish. Hunting, I have eaten Bear, both Black and Grizzly, Cougar, Mountain Sheep, Mountain Goat, Squirrel, 'coon, Beaver, and of course, all the Ungulates. There is much Flora in B.C. to be enjoyed: Wild onions, Fiddleneck ferns, Watercress, Dandelion greens, several species of mushroom: Shaggy's; not to be confused with Shaggy Manes, and Pine mushrooms. Yum! I even tried Rattle Snake once..in a restuarant in Vancouver called appropriately, the Rattle Snake Grill (tastes like chicken!)
Haven't tried eyes yet, would probably give it a shot.
I have tried one food that I didn't enjoy! Yes, yes, it's true!
Calf brains..didn't like 'em, won't eat 'em again. Actually, sorry, there are two foods I've tried and didn't like: That Mexican delicacy, Menudo! Probably didn't clean all the shite out of the pig's intestines before they cooked it. Smelled, and tasted like...SHITE!

CHIMO!
Old 28-02-06, 19:05
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: snaks

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
Sounds like you'd never starve if lost in the bush...probably have to diet when you returned to civilization! I too have an inquiring palate and there is nothing I won't try once. Being from the left coast and an avid scuba diver I have partaken of the bounty of the sea; oysters, Sea Urchin roe, Sea Cucumber, shark, salmon and salmon roe, scallops, several varieties of clams, oolichans, Gooey-ducks, Dungeness crab, Red Rock crab, Cod, Greenling, Rock fish. Hunting, I have eaten Bear, both Black and Grizzly, Cougar, Mountain Sheep, Mountain Goat, Squirrel, 'coon, Beaver, and of course, all the Ungulates. There is much Flora in B.C. to be enjoyed: Wild onions, Fiddleneck ferns, Watercress, Dandelion greens, several species of mushroom: Shaggy's; not to be confused with Shaggy Manes, and Pine mushrooms. Yum! I even tried Rattle Snake once..in a restuarant in Vancouver called appropriately, the Rattle Snake Grill (tastes like chicken!)
Haven't tried eyes yet, would probably give it a shot.
I have tried one food that I didn't enjoy! Yes, yes, it's true!
Calf brains..didn't like 'em, won't eat 'em again. Actually, sorry, there are two foods I've tried and didn't like: That Mexican delicacy, Menudo! Probably didn't clean all the shite out of the pig's intestines before they cooked it. Smelled, and tasted like...SHITE!

CHIMO!
Between the two of you... I think I'm gonna barf...
Old 28-02-06, 19:25
Vets Dottir

Me too - barf that is -

... but AFTER I Alex upside the head for what he does to those poor little Songbirds! Mean old fart Alex :dh:

Old 28-02-06, 20:11

Default Song birds ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
Me too - barf that is -

... but AFTER I Alex upside the head for what he does to those poor little Songbirds! Mean old fart Alex :dh:

Poke a needle in their eyes and blind them...That way they sing all the time...Don't know the difference from day and night....
Old 28-02-06, 20:26
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Song birds ...

Quote:
Poke a needle in their eyes and blind them...That way they sing all the time...Don't know the difference from day and night....
Ohmy gawd in heaven whatever will you say next?
Old 28-02-06, 20:37
Senior Forum Member

Talking Re: Re: Song birds ...

Quote:

...... MA ..... you'd sing to if someone poked a needle in your eye............

Pixies, Song Birds..... .... is there a difference....... they all sing when poked with something sharp .......

... and now back to the topic at hand....................
Old 28-02-06, 20:56

Default Re: Re: Song birds ...

Quote:
Jeez Ma...
If ya didn't want to eat 'em ..what would you want to catch them for...???? To torture 'em.....??
I'm not into that....
And I wouldn't want 'em into my booze...
Old 28-12-07, 10:51
"Sid and Errol's Dad"

Exclamation Big Snake

Holy Smoke!
"This is a snake pulling a either a Wallaby or Roo out of the water. Talk about a man eater! This picture is from Western Australia .

Take a careful look at this picture; see the size of the snake and the critter being pulled out of the water...."
Attached Thumbnails
image00111.jpg  
F15 #12
F15A #13 (stretched)
F60S #13
C15A #13 Wireless (incomplete)
Old 28-12-07, 11:02
Vets Dottir 2nd

Good lord ... talk about amazing strength ... I sure wouldn't want a hug from THAT snake!!!!

(thats also one honking big snake!!!! What kind is it? Do you know?)

Ma
Old 28-12-07, 11:11
Andrew

Default nasty

that is one big critter
Wouldnt want to piss it off
had a picture of a snake caught in an electric fence but cant find it so heres a little picture of a queenslander
Attached Thumbnails
pighunting.jpg  

Custodian of the "Rare and Rusty"
Old 28-12-07, 11:12
"Sid and Errol's Dad"

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir 2nd
(thats also one honking big snake!!!! What kind is it? Do you know?)
Ma
No Idea. I don't know much about snakes... except that they don't make shovel handles long enough for me to hit 'em with...
F15 #12
F15A #13 (stretched)
F60S #13
C15A #13 Wireless (incomplete)
Old 28-12-07, 11:17
Andrew

Default another

sorry here is another picture of a large critter but not following the snake theme
Who ever imported these can take them back
Attached Thumbnails
canetoad.jpg  

Custodian of the "Rare and Rusty"
Old 28-12-07, 11:23
Vets Dottir 2nd

All God's creatures GREAT

Howard ... what boggled me about the snake is never thinking snakes had muscles that could stretch and pull weight like that, especially not UP!!! ... slithering along and squeezing round, yes, pulling like that while also gripping a hold like THAT one's doing, no. Learn something new every day Amazing creature all total!

Ma
Old 28-12-07, 11:23
Vets Dottir 2nd

Default Re: another

Quote:
Originally posted by aj.lec
sorry here is another picture of a large critter but not following the snake theme
Who ever imported these can take them back
Now THOSE are froglegs that would fill a FEW tummies
Old 28-12-07, 13:18

Default Re: Re: another

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir 2nd
Now THOSE are froglegs that would fill a FEW tummies

Ma

Thats a Cane toad..
deadly poison..no known predators will touch it..a scourge on OZ brought on shore in 1935 to kill cane beetles,which it didn't and became a curse on the land of OZ..

http://www.fdrproject.org/pages/toads.htm

Fish who eat toadpoles die. Animals who eat toad adults die. The museums have plenty of snakes preserved in jars which were killed by toad toxin so fast, the toad is still in their mouths unswallowed. Even small amounts of water, such as a pet's water dish, can be fouled by toadpoles and adults. When the pet comes along to drink from it's dish, it becomes sick. Local vets report that a couple dogs a month are brought in ill just from "mouthing" toads.

Enjoy your "Frog" legs...

Old 28-12-07, 13:47
Vets Dottir 2nd

Thanks Alex, for Cane Toad in Oz 101 ... Yikes. A deadly froggy then. Amazing.

But now you have me really thinking ... I love to cook and feed people and I know just the guest I'd like to invite over for a delectable gourmet feast of froglegs (no one anyone in MLU knows ) .......... off to menu plan and write dinner invite to special guest now (Oz ... please Fedex Cane Froggy asap ... can't wait to enjoy the coming dinner!)

Ma Yappy
Old 29-12-07, 00:56

Default Snake

Something wrong here!

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/20073/