MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 14-07-23, 16:20

Default CF MODULAR TENTAGE thread

Howdy

Just thought we should start a thread for those who are interested in this kit and to draw those who have wisdom to share it.

Technically known as Tent Expandable Modular Systems (TEMS) but mostly known to people as MOD tents.

Picture from the web from CTV
Attached Thumbnails
CF modular tentage 01.jpg  

Home of the Maple Leaf Adapter
2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Kawasaki KLR250 CFR 95-10908 ex PPCLI
Canadair CL70 CFR 58-91588
Armstrong MT500 serial CFR 86-78530
Two Canam 250s
Land Rover S3 Commanders Caravan Carawagon 16 GN 07
Trailer Cargo 3/4 T 2WHD 38 GJ 62
Old 14-07-23, 16:37
carrier mech

I have a few years experience with these. For those stioll serving, the ERN is 87110 which can be used to bring up the CFTO as well as to find and confirm parts for them.

The basic tentage is pretty simple. It's when you get into the interface portions, penthouses, X sections, and side entrances that you get away form the norm. That is where the CFTO comes in handy.

Something I saw recently which was new to me was modular canvas with the white stripe on it. A quick search reveals it is for domestic use only. Wayne got a bunch of it in and most of it was in very fresh condition. I'm not sure if it was intended for the cadets, or some of the temporary camps they put up for various reasons. The stuff appears to date back to only 2012.
Old 14-07-23, 18:34

White stripe on the sidewalls to stop dummies stumbling into the tents in the dark?
Old 14-07-23, 20:18
carrier mech

It may be so the domestic stuff does not get mixed in with the regular stuff. I would ha e to look at the tent I presently have set up, but I think these lack the buttons to install the white liners. Also, the regular mod has been made with the inside of the tent in white for the last decade or two. This stuff is green on the inside.

As an example of mixing up, I can't count the number of times we go to setup a tent to find incorrectly marked canvas. It makes it harder to assemble when you have two fronts instead of a front and rear, or a section of extended mod is mixed in.
Old 15-07-23, 00:14

Recently I was fortunate enough with my co conspirator Kolten Hooper to buy a tent made up of 2 centre sections and a rear and front panel and all OEM tubular legs and the proper folding pieces and the stakes.

It was the fact it had the proper poles that caused me to drive three hours each way.

Mike Calnan told us about the wire or according to a manual I found online web straps to cross brace the sides which seem sensible.

I wont divulge the cost of this set but all I could say to myself for the first hour after loading up and leaving is that line from the Ikea commercial "Start the car!".
Attached Thumbnails
cf modular tentage 02.jpg   cf modular tentage 03.jpg   cf modular tentage 04.jpg   cf modular tentage 05.jpg  

Home of the Maple Leaf Adapter
2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Kawasaki KLR250 CFR 95-10908 ex PPCLI
Canadair CL70 CFR 58-91588
Armstrong MT500 serial CFR 86-78530
Two Canam 250s
Land Rover S3 Commanders Caravan Carawagon 16 GN 07
Trailer Cargo 3/4 T 2WHD 38 GJ 62
Old 15-07-23, 00:35
carrier mech

There were also canvas straps for the X bracing between each arch. But what I have found to work the best is running a ratchet type cargo strap from each end of the tent. I hook it on the peak, and run the other end down to a large stake in the ground a reasonable distance from the tent. 45° or a bit more of an angle on the strap works out pretty good. Tighten those down, and in combination with a stake in each foot of the arches, the tents will not go anywhere. Otherwise, these tents become reminiscent of the Wizard of OZ as they fly up up up and away.
Old 15-07-23, 15:44
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
.... Tighten those down, and in combination with a stake in each foot of the arches, the tents will not go anywhere. Otherwise, these tents become reminiscent of the Wizard of OZ as they fly up up up and away.
The stakes or tent pegs are a stroke of genius. There is a large diameter hole at the head. A quantity of pins can be assembled, or at least are less likely to wander away, with another peg poked through the hole. The hole also allows crews to disassemble the structure if the ground has closed up around the pin.

So to the equipment list, add a 5-lb lump hammer.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!