MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 26-09-06, 04:20
Dibble

Default Grease plugs

Hi Folks, I was wondering ware I can obtain Universal carrier grease fittings , I'm short 8 fittings. I started a semi restoration on my mk2 U.Carrier this week, trying to locate the serial#'s of this beast, ware is a good place to look. I have all my manuals I bought second hand, and going to be needing a few bits also. Thanks

Dibble
PS Jordan your Carrier looks great!!!
Old 26-09-06, 04:56

Welcome to the unique club of carrier ownership.

As to grease fittings, I think someone was selling some about a year ago on the forum but I think they went rather quickly. Mine has a bunch of the modern style ones mixed in with the originals.

As to numbers on the carrier they are usually in 3 places. One of them is right in front of the driver on the top edge of the front armour plate. This number will give you the Army # that was to be painted on the side of the hull. The build date and Mfc which woudl be Ford. The build date will be a number for the month and then the last two digits of the year it was built. As an example mine was stamped "T 51176 4 42 Ford"

There was also the hull number I believe on the rear carrier at the left side. This was stamped into the angle iron that holds the rear plate to the fenders.

And the thrid number which I forget what info it gave was stamped behind and to the left of the driver on the angle iron that forms the lower edge of the air louver to the rad.

Please post pictures as they are always most welcome. Thanks also for the comments on my UC. it wouldn't have been where it is with out the help of the fine people on MLU. Also whereabouts are you in N.A. as there maybe someone close by who can offer inperson assistance.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 26-09-06, 05:32
Dibble

Thanks Jordan for your help, I will look this week for the Carrier numbers. I live in the states. Ah posting pictures will be a problem since I need a digital camera I must wait for Christmas for that.As for the Grease fittings what would you recomend for US fittings? These Brass fittings look metric.

My carrier looked just like yours in your 1st pics , No armour all around, I since then I put 1/8" miled steel plate in its place, It looks Ok and will pass Muster.

Now this project let me decide on the type of carrier I wanted to build, I decided a mk2 was easyer but I still can go either way in doing a Mk1, plus I like the nice items such as the White Oak rifle rests(harder wood) etc on a Mk1. As for painting? not decided, British Brown , Kahaki #3, Desert, still deciding. as far as Regt either Canadian or Brit, I like Brads carrier , But I really don't like putting a Big White star on my Carrier , I like your Hells Angels logo , fitting to the core to many White stars around. I was led to a person up in Onterio , who has parts and going to see what I need or What I can make. Thanks for welcoming me.

Regards

Dibble
Old 26-09-06, 06:24
carrier mech

Normal north american grease nipples will substitute for the British ones quite well.
I have spares of the original style button alemite grease fittings if you want to stay origional.

Welcome to the forum. I must say your grammer and writing style seem reminiscent of a previous member we had here named Big Mike.