MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 25-02-20, 18:45
carrier mech

Default Broken bolt extraction

I thought I would share a method I use to quickly remove broken bolts or studs. The best bet is, of course, to heat bolts and studs red before attempting to remove (and breaking ) them, but that isn't always possible. In this case, I was working with a leaking gas tank on the museum's C15TA, so there was not a lot of heating going on before removal.

My method is a slight variation on the method used by a lot of welders, where they weld a nut onto the broken stud, then, as it cools, you work the nut and back the broken stud out. Most will use an arc welder for this...I like the MIG. Problem is, when you are welding down the bore of the nut, you might not get the best penetration onto the broken stud.

I select a washer either the size of the stud or one size larger. In this case, the broken bolt is actually slightly recessed into the hole...that is fine. I weld the stud to the washer, then weld a much oversized nut to the washer/stud. As it starts to cool, you start to work it back and forth slightly, then it will come out as an assembly, leaving the threads intact. I use high heat on the welder so as to get good penetration into the stud.

Now don't get me wrong, there are still times when you will have to drill and re-tap, but overall, this method has worked well for me again and again. It is especially good on situations where the fastener is broken off inside of a casting such as an engine block or transmission housing.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01597.JPG   DSC01598.JPG   DSC01601.JPG   DSC01600.JPG   DSC01602.JPG  

Old 25-02-20, 19:51

Nice tip Rob. Thanks for sharing. I had not considered using a washer first, and was sometimes disappointed when it was hard to get good penetration trying to weld down through a small nut.

As much as I hope I never need to extract another broken bolt... Ill be sure to try this method next time.
Old 25-02-20, 21:56

Thanks for sharing
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 25-02-20, 22:11
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Hingley View Post
As much as I hope I never need to extract another broken bolt... Ill be sure to try this method next time.
That is not realistic in this hobby, nor if you maintain your own vehicles and live East of the Manitoba border.

I found that when trying to weld through the nut, you just didn't manage to get the contact area, and had to repeat the process a couple times.

Important as well is that you don't clean the metal around the broken stud, otherwise you could end up welding the stud to the surrounding metal. If so, grind it all flush and revert to the proper size washer.

I consider every extraction a victory, and it seems like the welded assembly stay on the workbench for considerable time.

Some climb mountains, some lead countries....I extract bolts.