MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 04-04-10, 22:42

Default Generator with jxld engine.

Hello, is there somebody out there that maybey can help me at a instructionsbook.

This generator has come from normandie.

Was sold to a belgian and i have bought it from the belgian.

It has like my daf ya 328 a jxld engine, there some things diferent about it.
Like waterpump,ignition,battery charger and i have been told, the cilinderhead is made that it has a higher compression.

Probely the generator was with an spotlight for aircrafts.

But like the say, pictures tell more then words, so here are some.

Reegarts

Ruud (netherlands)
Old 05-04-10, 00:07

Default Looks like one that a friend has

Hi Ruumar

This looks like a generator that a long time friend in the MV hobby has, I've forwarded your information request to him. Let you know if he has a source on manuals.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 05-04-10, 12:49
Steve

I had one of these a few years ago. It is a 3 phase any voltage up to 480 by strapping jumpers.

The unit (IMHO) is one of the worst designed HMVs I have ever seen! It has the gas tank up high and has to be fueled from the top. The batteries are mounted high, it has a narrow track and very short WB. It is VERY top heavy. I filpped mine! It was difficult to back it up even with a bulldozer due to the short wheelbase. It is very difficult to service the mag as it is almost against the bellhousing. There are thrust "buttons" on the cam and accessory (water pump/mag) shaft. If they are not kept adjusted, the shafts will move back and forth and take the seals out of the water pump and maybe even the pump housing.

What can I say nice about it....? Hmmm I got it for free and got more money when I sold it for the engine.
Old 05-04-10, 16:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
Hi Ruumar

This looks like a generator that a long time friend in the MV hobby has, I've forwarded your information request to him. Let you know if he has a source on manuals.

Cheers Phil
Thanx a lot, would be nice.
Old 05-04-10, 16:36

Default I thought Steve might have a few words

But Steve do you have any thoughts on where to find the manuals?

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 05-04-10, 16:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Deuce View Post
I had one of these a few years ago. It is a 3 phase any voltage up to 480 by strapping jumpers.

The unit (IMHO) is one of the worst designed HMVs I have ever seen! It has the gas tank up high and has to be fueled from the top. The batteries are mounted high, it has a narrow track and very short WB. It is VERY top heavy. I filpped mine! It was difficult to back it up even with a bulldozer due to the short wheelbase. It is very difficult to service the mag as it is almost against the bellhousing. There are thrust "buttons" on the cam and accessory (water pump/mag) shaft. If they are not kept adjusted, the shafts will move back and forth and take the seals out of the water pump and maybe even the pump housing.

What can I say nice about it....? Hmmm I got it for free and got more money when I sold it for the engine.
Thanx for the info about the waterpump.

I have bought it for backup power at home, not to go ride with it ore what so ever.

And i like it to restore those things.

Fueltanks i never use, i always use jerrycans, after a while i put the fuel in my car and by new one for the generator, so it can't get old.

Battery's whon't be installed also, 1 kabel from my daf to the generator is enough.

And i bought it for the engine, got 2 daf's and both with jxld engine's, i know that engines for a generator are different then the engines for the cars.

It's just i whant to have it generator.

But mine was not for free.

Greetings.
Old 05-04-10, 16:58
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Manuals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
But Steve do you have any thoughts on where to find the manuals?

Cheers Phil
Hi Phil.
As usual I think this manual may fill the bill ..while it may not be the exact "L" model manual..which I don't know the difference,if you get a hold of Mr Manual,Mark 2,Grant Bowker ,he can provide this manual..

#108:326 Pages
TM9-1706
Hercules JXD gasoline engine for scout
cars 13 Sep 42

I think Grant is busy keeping track of BooBee and his shenanigans at the barn..Hope you are coming up to the thrash at Boobees in June..Didn't get enough chance to gab the last visit..
Old 05-04-10, 17:46

Like Alex I don't know the difference between the JXLD and JXD engines. I did find a reference to an experimental replacement of the JXD in an armourd car with a JXLD, so they must have been at least similar in mounting points and general size. Has anyone seen a table that decodes the letter code for the Hercules engines?
It seems to me that if you can find the manual for the exact engine it is a better choice than one that is only similar. I don't know if the military published a manual for the JXLD. Does your generator have a data plate that lists the manuals that apply to the generator set? There seem to be several online sellers of old tractor manuals who list manuals for the JXLD. I have not bought from any of them to be able to comment on their service. One of them is http://www.antiquetractors.com/conte...nuals_list.htm
Old 05-04-10, 19:30

This is on the genset.

This is on the generator.

This is on the engine.

Old 05-04-10, 19:31

And in a daf ya 328 is also a jxld engine.

Some things are different.
Fuel pomp
Waterpomp with ignition on it.
Different cilinderhead.

Can't take a picture of the dataplate, because i have a broken leg.

This is the jxld from a YA 328

En this is a JXC from a daf ya 126

I have taken out a jxc and put back in a jxld.

Only diferents you can see on the outside is the manifold and the carberater.
Old 05-04-10, 21:22

Kato Engineering is still in business with a web site http://www.kato-eng.com/ They may be able to provide a manual either for the complete unit or for the electrical components (or tell you the manual number so you can search for it).
Old 05-04-10, 23:00

Default Jxld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Bowker View Post
Like Alex I don't know the difference between the JXLD and JXD engines. I did find a reference to an experimental replacement of the JXD in an armourd car with a JXLD, so they must have been at least similar in mounting points and general size. Has anyone seen a table that decodes the letter code for the Hercules engines?

I found this on the web:

As of 10-21-08 Jobbers Warehouse has this brand new Hercules JXLD for sale. They specialize in Hercules parts and are in Pa. This engine was built in 1968 , the price for it is $7950.00 My understanding is that both the Hercules JXD as well as the Hercules JXLD share the same basic block configuration. The JXLD , however has 339 cubic inches compared to the JXD's 320 cubes. Both engines have a four inch bore but the JXLD has a 4 1/2 inch stroke compared to the JXD's 4 1/4 inch stroke.
From here:
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...99716915BRugQN

http://www.dieselenginetrader.com/en...s.cfm?ID=20091

Paul
Old 06-04-10, 00:29
Steve

I never had manuals for mine, nor did I look for them actively.

The "L" block is longer I believe.

I used mine for home backup.

In the process of lowering it down the hill to the garage under the house, the chain broke and it went the rest of the way on its own; uncontrolled! That is how I filpped it.

My waterpump would hold water only when running. A place in Worcester MA wanted $450 for a rebuilt one, exchange back in the early 80's. I had determined that I would just buy an electric sump pump if it ever came down to it.

Watch out for the wiring in the junction box for the generator. They used rubber insulation for the wiring and it was falling off on mine. I electrical taped it back on.

Mine was probably a Canadian army one. All the control panel labels were in french....

Steve
Old 06-04-10, 11:12

Thanx guy's i send some mails here and there.

JXC and JXLD engine does also have the same basic block configuration.

quote= Watch out for the wiring in the junction box for the generator. They used rubber insulation for the wiring and it was falling off on mine. I electrical taped it back on.

Mine was probably a Canadian army one. All the control panel labels were in french.... end quote

I am going to take it apart and rebuild it, so wiring would be good then.

My panel labels are in french also, genset came from normandie.

Every militaire equipment has his instruction book, not that i need id for the rebuild but with it it's easyer.

Greetz Ruud
Old 06-04-10, 14:39

Default ruuds herculees generator

Ruud you should be able to get a NOS manual from Mhr.Wildenburg...thats where I got mine....a tad expensive but as ever excellent service....cheers malcolm
Old 07-04-10, 12:56

Hi.

Where could i find Mhr.Wildenburg.

Greetz

Ruud
Old 07-04-10, 13:05

Default parts wanted

Wildenburgs are major dealers in Nederlands...I think perhaps Rhenan or something similar...I had parts for my YA-126 and YA-328 from them...however that was severel years ago...Im sure Hanno will be able to put up the correct address...best regards malcolm
Old 07-04-10, 23:25

O that one.

I send him a email.

Thanx.

http://wildenberg.vps.booming-it.nl/
Old 08-04-10, 11:56
rwprince

Default Jxld

The "L" stands for "LONG STROKE" engine...i.e. longer stroke than the standard JXD engine. I think it was a post WWII manufacture, as this same JXLD engine was used in many civilian applications...forklifts, etc.
Old 08-04-10, 16:44

Yes, i think your right, there are also used in clark forklifts.

Only then the have a normal ignition system and everthing that came from the army has waterproofd ignitionsytems.

Except the daf ya 318, was the first truck the had, also had a normal ignition system, i believe there where around 250 of them build and then the YA 328 came.

And what i have been told is that those jxld engines for generators have a cilinderhead that gives more compression and that the crankshaft is a little bit different.

Because generators have al the time the same RPM's.

But thats all i have heard story.

Greetings

Ruud