MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 07-09-08, 11:01
Darryl

Default Lewis machine-gun plans/sketches/technical drawings

Gidday all,

I’m a recent purchaser of a bren gun carrier and I’m wondering if anyone on the forum can help me out with a wee project I have in mind.

I want to get a replica Lewis machine gun made up to add to the carrier in its anti-aircraft mode on the engine cowling.

First, a bit of background to the carrier I have. I’ve been a big carrier fan for a long time but it seems it is only later in life when one can afford one.
I’d also been a watcher on these forums for some time trying to pick up tips and generally just boosting the knowledge. I must say the forums have been an amazing resource.

I’d been looking for a carrier in New Zealand for some time but the best I was offered was a hull and a piece of track. I felt though that I just didn’t have the expertise required to do such a restoration so I decided if I could I would keep an eye out for ‘a runner’.

I found that was easier said than done though and anyone I spoke to in NZ with a carrier didn’t want to part with it. I eventually had to cast the net a bit wider and on a recent trip to Australia I looked at two carriers that were for sale. I ended up returning a couple of months later to buy one of them and ship it back home to NZ.

As you guys say, ‘Border raiding on a major scale’ but rest assured it is going to a good home and hopefully it won’t put you off giving a kiwi some help!

A lot of you guys will probably be familiar with this carrier as it was at Corowa 2005. I've attached some pictures.

This carrier was restored by Trevor Jones who passed away a couple of years ago and thus the carrier was eventually put up for sale. Trevor did a fantastic job on the restoration of the carrier and it was easily the best carrier I had seen on either side of the Tasman.

One of the features he did add was a replica Vickers MG, and being a firearms collector as well I can tell you it looks damn good, and very similar to the real thing. Trevor also did up some rough sketches of a Lewis MG but passed away before he could get the Lewis made. I’d now like to finish the carrier off by getting a replica Lewis built and added to it.

I was wondering if anyone else has done the same thing and built a replica Lewis. If so, would you have any plans or drawings that I could purchase or borrow to get this project going.

I saw on the Corowa 2005 DVD that there was at least one carrier there with a Lewis MG on it. Whether that was a replica, or an actual deactivated unit, I am not sure. Getting my hands on a real Lewis gun over here to use as the baiss of the plans is nigh impossible. I am only aware of three Lewis guns in the country and one sold at an auction recently for just under $20,000.

Any assistance that is offered would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Darryl
Attached Thumbnails
100_0551.JPG   100_0588.JPG   IMG_2699.JPG   IMG_2706.JPG  
Old 07-09-08, 13:07
RIP

Default Your New Toy

Hi Darryl - you didn't keep me appraised of the fact you bought the Swanpool Carrier. Hopefully you also obtained all the research and the story board that Trevor had done. My main query is that on that story board it stated that this Carrier was one out of a batch of 450. Does the research show what the run number started and ended with?

Bob
Website owner - salesmanbob.com
Old 07-09-08, 17:54
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Hi, Daryl, which part of NZ are you in? There are certainly more than 3 Lewis MGs in NZ. I have physically handled 2 of them and have seen the number of them bought by Peter Jackson in Wellington from the Royal Nepalese Armoury. Think you'd be looking at more than 30 in NZ.

PJ's mates at the Omaka Heritage Centre have done some outstanding work with resin replicas for their static and flying WW1 aircraft. Perhaps drop them a line, or drop in over Easter 2009 for a chat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D
..and being a firearms collector as well..
Are you in the NZAAHA? The President of the Canterbury Branch does some excellent work producing solid, non-firing MG replicas in Aluminium, and has even done a couple set up for Gas-Firing. At this stage, I think he has done 6 different MGs so far, and one might have been either a Lewis or a Vickers K.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2728-1.JPG   IMG_2729-1.JPG   IMG_4205.JPG   IMG_2502.JPG   IMG_2503.JPG  

Old 07-09-08, 23:30
Darryl

Hi Bob,

I thought I’d sent you a follow up message saying that I’d confirmed buying the Swanpool carrier. Obviously I didn’t so apologies for that.

Your comments about the restoration costs between the two I looked at were spot on. The condition of the Swanpool carrier was that good and there was little that had to be done to it, so I couldn’t resist in the end.

As far as the story board goes – Denise (understandably) wasn’t prepared to let that go at this stage. I only briefly looked at it so am not sure about the run numbers. I will see if she will take some photographs of the relevant parts of the story board. Hopefully that might fill in the gaps so will come back to you on that.

Thanks.

Hi Tony,

I live in Dunedin and am a member of the NZAAA. I have previously spoken to the guy in Christchurch who does the replica firearms. Rod Woods is his name. In fact I have one of his Browning .30 cals on my Willys jeep. I wasn’t aware of him doing the Lewis gun replicas but I did email him and hopefully will hear back.

You could well be right about the number of Lewis guns here in NZ. To be honest, I hadn’t even considered what Peter Jackson has at Omaka. I was discussing it with a few collectors here (some of whom have been collecting for 50 years) and between them they could only think of three in the whole country in private collector’s hands. Again, we didn’t consider what Mr Jackson had though.

Like you say, it is probably worth me writing to Omaka and seeing what they could do.

Thanks.

Last edited by Big D; 07-09-08 at 23:58. Reason: wrong name used
Old 08-09-08, 06:56
Bluebell

Default Daryll

Nice carrier. Well done! Welcome to the forum!

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 08-09-08, 07:23
Darryl

Thanks Lynn.

Its good to be here after all this time looking!
Old 08-09-08, 18:48
Colin

Default Lewis Drawing

This a small sample plan at 20% of the larger plan size I have.
Is this of any help to you, If so I can upload the full sized drawing (which I think is actually about 75% scale) however it is just over half a meg, I'll have to upload it to rapidshare, not only will this take time (dial-up) but I also seem to be having a devil of a time accessing this forum, so don't be surprised if you don't hear back from me till tomorrow.

Wish List :
LP2, Matilda, Valentine Hull in any condition...
Old 08-09-08, 18:52
Colin

see what I mean, it didn't even upload the damn photo ARGH!!!!!!!

http://img218.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ssamplerc7.jpg

Wish List :

Last edited by Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP); 08-09-08 at 20:42.
Old 08-09-08, 23:32
Darryl

Hi Col,

Yeah, that is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. I found something similar on the net but I don't think it was anything like the half-meg size of the one you have. If you could upload at your convenience, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Darryl
Old 08-09-08, 23:40
Darryl

Tony,

I spoke to Rod Woods yesterday and he is putting together the tooling to produce replica Lewis guns. He says he won't be starting until mid-next year and these will be full replicas that will dry-fire. He hopes to add a gas component at a later stage to allow firing. Indicative price at this very early stage is around $2000. He borrowed a Lewis gun from another NZAAA member to get all the dimensions.

There is a guy here in the engineering field who is interested in helping me put together a replica from scratch so I'll keep pursuing any plans for one. Hopefully that diagram from Col will go a ways towards this but if anyone else has anything, I'd be keen on a look.
Old 09-09-08, 11:13
C8AX Ambulance (NZ), UC1*

Default Hi Darryl, welcome too.

Nice to see another LP2 in NZ. I hope you keep those Aussie markings on it, to show the cooperation between NZ and OZ in producing them.

I'm sure Lynn will be interested in seeing that aerial bracket!

Rob
LP2, Gisborne
Old 09-09-08, 11:25
Darryl

Hi Rob,

Thanks for that. I can assure you it will remain an aussie carrier.

Is this the bracket Lynn?

Cheers

Darryl
Attached Thumbnails
100_0587.JPG  
Old 09-09-08, 17:46
Colin

Default Lewis Gun

Bid D, check your pm.
Bigis Dickus

Wish List :
Old 10-09-08, 05:46
David Pope

Default plastic replica

Check out this site. For $130 you can get a full size plastic replica.
http://www.foxflier.com/lewis/
In Canada these "non-guns" are prohibited. I think I'll take a stripped Lee Enfield
and dress it up with this plastic stuff and have a legal Lewis look-alike. If I do I'll make a Lewis style butt stock and pistol grip so it won't break. The Enfield action would still be under the plastic so it might be possible to have it firing too. Just a thought.
It'd sure look good on my Motley mount.
1940 Cab 11 F15A w/ Chev rear ends
1941 Cab 12 F15A
1942-44 Cab 13 F15A x 5
1942 cab 13 F15A with 2B1 box
1943 cab 13 F15A with 2H1 box
1943 Cab 13 C8A HUP
1944 Cab 13 C15A with 2C1 box
1943 Cletrac M2 High Speed Tractor
MkII Bren gun carrier chassis x 2
Old 10-09-08, 13:41
Darryl

Gidday,

Yes, I had a look at that site. I just wasn't sure about how the plastic finish would look. The pictures look okay. For that price though it is almost worth getting one to look at. I could always use it as a template if nothing else.

More food for thought.

Thanks.
Old 03-10-08, 13:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
I spoke to Rod Woods yesterday and he is putting together the tooling to produce replica Lewis guns. He says he won't be starting until mid-next year and these will be full replicas that will dry-fire. He hopes to add a gas component at a later stage to allow firing. Indicative price at this very early stage is around $2000. He borrowed a Lewis gun from another NZAAA member to get all the dimensions. .
Let Mr Woods know that those would go over big in the US, between reenactors and history buffs. I'm about to send the passage above and link to this thread to one professor I know, as a 'heads up'.
Old 08-10-08, 20:59
Communications Field tech

Default awesome website for replicas/misc

Has anyone checked out www.marstar.ca?

(Not connected in any way!)

They carry a lot of WWII "extras"

Bren gun parts, Mags, even a case of bren gun magazines!)
Note for canadians all high capacity mags are blocked to 5 rounds

MG Belt loaders, linkers etc.

For those with deep pockets they have some awesome semi-automatic wepons guaranteed to be legal in Canada.

Their .50 Browning with 200rnd mag and M-63 mount would look Sooo cool on a bren!

they also have Browning, 1919A4 w/tripod, 1919A6 with bipod and german MG-34

Again they say canadians only need a PAL (Possesion Aquisition licence)

That is what they say but I would like to see someone explain their choice of semi automatic rifle to a game warden!

UC 2Mk I*
Upper Hull: CB 8075
Lower Hull: 8105
S/N: 9075
Date: Jun(est) 42
contract #: CDLV 213

1946 Willys Jeep
1974 Plymouth Road Runner
1987 Trans Am
Old 13-10-08, 11:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Volkert View Post
Their .50 Browning with 200rnd mag and M-63 mount would look Sooo cool on a bren! they also have Browning, 1919A4 w/tripod, 1919A6 with bipod and german MG-34

That is what they say but I would like to see someone explain their choice of semi automatic rifle to a game warden!

Moose. Definately for hunting Moose.
Old 13-10-08, 11:44
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Story View Post
Moose. Definately for hunting Moose.
Lots of Mooses, damn big ones.
Attached Images

Old 28-02-09, 11:29
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

It's not a Lewis, and it's not even a replica, but would This be of any interest to anyone?
Attached Images

Old 28-02-09, 16:56
Derek Heuring

Default Armourer's poster

[QUOTE=Big D;I want to get a replica Lewis machine gun made up to add to the carrier in its anti-aircraft mode on the engine cowling.
Darryl[/QUOTE]

Darryl, I have an Armourer's poster that shows every component of every sub-assembly of the "GUN, MACHINE, LEWIS, .303-IN, MK 1" in great detail along with it's proper nomenclature. I've included a low-res picture of the poster and can email you a 3 meg higher res picture if you wish.
Here's a question for you: have you considered making a replica of that unique Kiwi invention, the Charlton MG for your carrier?
Attached Thumbnails
Lewis MG Mk1.jpg  
Old 28-02-09, 22:06
Darryl

Interesting picture Tony.

Derek - I'd be very interested in that high res picture you have of the Lewis. Would you be able to email me a copy please?

I hadn't considered the Charlton as this is an Australian carrier and I wanted to keep it accurate, which meant going for the Lewis at the back.

I've actually spoken to one of the guys that does all of the armoury work for Peter Jackson. He is pricing up building a replica Lewis for me.

As you said before Tony - he has confirmed he has lots of sample Lewis MG's to work with!

Cheers

Darryl
Old 01-03-09, 08:33
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
Interesting picture Tony.

I've actually spoken to one of the guys that does all of the armoury work for Peter Jackson. He is pricing up building a replica Lewis for me.

As you said before Tony - he has confirmed he has lots of sample Lewis MG's to work with!

Cheers

Darryl
I'm sure he could even make a Gas-Firing version for you if you like! (When you speak to him next, I have his DVD made up ready).

Are you going to Taieri next week?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4221.JPG  
Old 01-03-09, 09:22
Darryl

Gidday Tony

Yes, he did mention gas firing but I din't want to push my luck too far. I would be happy with just the replica but maybe I should talk to him about the gas firing version again. It is tempting....

Yes - I will be at Taieri next weekend. I will have both the carrier and the jeep there. We are expecting a good turnout of vehicles - 25-30 I'm told, so it should be a good day.

Are you coming over?

Is Hamish going to be there? I haven't heard.

Cheers

Darryl
Old 10-04-09, 12:52
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Smith View Post
Peter Jackson's mates at the Omaka Heritage Centre have done some outstanding work with resin replicas for their static and flying WW1 aircraft. Perhaps drop them a line, or drop in over Easter 2009 for a chat.
So Daryl, is a trip to Marlborough on your calendar? I've had a chat to H about these. OHC/Weta have only done Air Service versions of the Lewis, but ought to be able to come up with some Land Service patterns, the stuff that these guys can do with resin is mind blowing. If not H will be happy to assist you convert one to Land Service.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0618-1.JPG   IMG_0620-1.jpg   IMG_0641-1.JPG   IMG_0642-2.JPG  
Old 10-04-09, 14:05
Darryl

Hi Tony,

It was tempting but we have just moved house and I just didn't have the time to get up to Omaka this year.The last time I was up at Omaka was 2005 so I was overdue for another visit. Hopefully next time.

I haven't spoken to Hamish for some time but I know he was pretty busy organising for the show. I have my fingers crossed that he is still able to do something.

By the way - Taieri went well. A good turnout of vehicles but the weather was against us and it started pouring down after lunch. Murray D. had a few of his toys out and put on a good display.

Cheers

Darryl
Attached Images

Last edited by Big D; 10-04-09 at 23:25. Reason: rewording post.