MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 13-04-03, 13:56
Vets_Dottir

Default Re: Up the Agrylls!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Potter
The first two photos on this thread, unless my slightly foo eyes deceive me, are of the exceedingly Highland men of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. In fact, the Crimean War photo may be of a soldier of the old 93rd, the most Highland of all Highland regiments.

How did this reeking Sassanach come to admire the Argylls? I have no idea; my Scottish step-granny's father and brothers were KOSB's. In Stirling Castle I stood underneath the colours of the old 93rd carried at the Alma and those carried at New Orleans, and I wept. I even reached up and touched them. The duty sergeant thought I was nuts, but I think I impressed him.

"Who's like us? Damn few, and they're all dead."

Bob

BOB: Hi! I take you to mean the "lone soldier" from the link to be the one maybe from the Crimean War (the most Highland of all Highland regiments,you said)? Those are amazing photos. It's so wonderful tohave the images so we can all see them these days. And I also notice, as I get older, that those times/years, just really ARE NOT so very long ago. Mind boggling.

Those hats...they look heavy and very bulky if they hadto wear them in conflict. I also noticed MEDALS pinned to the photo ofthe three men. I'm curious about what their RANKS would be (My guy, AND the 3 brothers :-)

AND....WHAT MEAN THIS: "KOSB" and "SASSANACH" ?

Also: We have an ARGYLL town back home and many SUTHERLANDS I don't know any of them, but know they were an important HBC bunch... my family all descends from Fur Traders and NAtive women planting and growing seeds in Dear Old Rupert's Land. They begat and begat and begat...many of the begats just never got away from that area. I was born and spent my early childhood there and never had a clue as to the history and roots.

DANA: Yep...pretty "shexy"...love the legs!

DAVE: I think the genetic threads combine to make one piece of clothing for the world to wear. Geneolgy certainly points out the intermarriages and connections too. All interesting stuff and makes me want a pedigree for everyone

I sure wish the family feuds in the world would stop because the kids get crazy when the row gets rid of the nasty heads of the house and the kids don't obey the babysitters

Hmmm.

Carman
Old 13-04-03, 15:27

Default Argylls, KOSB's, and Sassanachs

"Sassanach" (which I am most likely misspelling) is a Scots Gaelic for a foreigner from south of Hadrian's Wall, or "reeking non-hairy English" as a Goon (was it Chisholm MacChisholm?) said at least once. It is probably a corruption of "Saxon." My Scottish host used that on me in the pub one evening. His friends were amused, more that I knew it than that he used it on me.

KOSB's (pronounced Cos-bees) are the King's Own Scottish Borderers, whose pre-Cardwell regimental number I forget. A Lowland regiment, they have made a formidable reputation on many fields. They are not kilted.

The Sutherlands of the Hudson's Bay Company are probably from the same family that raised the 93rd Regiment, which was coincidentally raised at about the same time that the HBC was opening the upper Oregon territory.

Hope this helps.

Like your MLU handle by the way. There are not many Icelander kicking about around here. I have a grad school buddy from Oregon who lived for awhile in Astoria. He was amused by that place's Finnish population. I reminded him that there were just enough Finns in Astoria to scare the Russians away.

Cheers

Bob
Old 13-04-03, 16:25
Vets_Dottir

Cool Cool history stuff BOB.

Thanks a lot for filling me in on some more of the history, especially stuff that "hits close to home". So many people settled Rupert's Land during the HBC days. So MANY were Scots!!! It's all so interesting. My GGGGrandfather, a John James Smith, came from England. Arrived from Westminster, London and was 17 when he signed the contract with HBC shortly after 1800. He married a native woman "Mary". Wish I could go back father for them two:-(

DOTTIR ... yah. I love it! My father was the Icelandic one. My grandparentswere born in Iceland. Icelanders seem to be a pretty clannish lot. So many channged their names too. Shortened versions (Jones, etc) They're actually all over the place I think

Can't explore history and not feel it in your own bones

Take Care ... Dottir :-)
Old 13-04-03, 16:50
Senior Forum Member

Exclamation Re: 'The Brothers 4'

Oh,Oh.........they have English Cousin's........
Attached Images

Old 13-04-03, 17:16
Vets_Dottir

MARK;

These photos you're finding are great!!! I love seeing them.

Now its time for another power-nap tho. Have been trying to catch up on other emails and this particular thread seems I have to re-load and re-load to pull it all up now ? ! Hmmm.

talk later...C
Old 17-04-03, 04:16
Art Johnson

Default In case you ever wondered?

http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/pu...sp?id_=2211978
Old 17-04-03, 05:33
Vets_Dottir

Talking WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Art Johnson
http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/pu...sp?id_=2211978

Oh my gawd ART!!!!!!! You SURPRISE me!

Mystery's all gone now.

Carman
Old 17-04-03, 21:57
RIP

Default Re: Re: Up the Agrylls!

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets_Dottir
BOB: Hi! I take you to mean the "lone soldier" from the link to be the one maybe from the Crimean War (the most Highland of all Highland regiments,you said)? Those are amazing photos. It's so wonderful tohave the images so we can all see them these days. And I also notice, as I get older, that those times/years, just really ARE NOT so very long ago. Mind boggling.

Those hats...they look heavy and very bulky if they hadto wear them in conflict. I also noticed MEDALS pinned to the photo ofthe three men. I'm curious about what their RANKS would be (My guy, AND the 3 brothers :-)

AND....WHAT MEAN THIS: "KOSB" and "SASSANACH" ?

Also: We have an ARGYLL town back home and many SUTHERLANDS I don't know any of them, but know they were an important HBC bunch... my family all descends from Fur Traders and NAtive women planting and growing seeds in Dear Old Rupert's Land. They begat and begat and begat...many of the begats just never got away from that area. I was born and spent my early childhood there and never had a clue as to the history and roots.

DANA: Yep...pretty "shexy"...love the legs!

DAVE: I think the genetic threads combine to make one piece of clothing for the world to wear. Geneolgy certainly points out the intermarriages and connections too. All interesting stuff and makes me want a pedigree for everyone

I sure wish the family feuds in the world would stop because the kids get crazy when the row gets rid of the nasty heads of the house and the kids don't obey the babysitters

Hmmm.

Carman
Old 17-04-03, 22:09
RIP

Default Those Hat's

Carmon,those are not hats in the common ENGLISH vernacular that your boyfriend in the 93rd is wearing in the photo at the start of this thread.They are called FEATHER BONNETS worn only by Heeland laddies.No they are not heavy because I can personally confirm this having worn them over countless years.I'll let you in on a little secret.Under the four tails hanging dowm the right side is a hole big enough above to put a hand in & during my tenure,those who smoked cigarettes or pipe wud store their stash up inside above the head as the doublet(jacket as shown)there were no pockets to stow personals.Some lads even stowed a wee dram bottle of scotch up there(for medicinal purposes only)during cold day parades.
Geez,are we edumakating the little Miss Yappy
Old 18-04-03, 00:50
Vets_Dottir

Default Re: Those Hat's

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Shipton
Carmon,those are not hats in the common ENGLISH vernacular that your boyfriend in the 93rd is wearing in the photo at the start of this thread.They are called FEATHER BONNETS worn only by Heeland laddies.No they are not heavy because I can personally confirm this having worn them over countless years.I'll let you in on a little secret.Under the four tails hanging dowm the right side is a hole big enough above to put a hand in & during my tenure,those who smoked cigarettes or pipe wud store their stash up inside above the head as the doublet(jacket as shown)there were no pockets to stow personals.Some lads even stowed a wee dram bottle of scotch up there(for medicinal purposes only)during cold day parades.
Geez,are we edumakating the little Miss Yappy
Carmon says: FEATHER BONNETS it is! So be it. I like the story... and the hidey-place for stash
Pretty neat.

Gee Garry...between you and Art you two are blowing many secrets. Between finding out what's really under the hats and under the kilts ...well... edumakating it is!

How come you by a wearing of the "Feather Bonnet"?

Smarter Yappy
Old 18-04-03, 17:20
Art Johnson

Default The Kilt

Carman those of us that wear the kilt also have our lighter moments. This picture of yours truly and a young lady was published in the Toronto Star many years ago:

http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/pu...sp?id_=2230356
Old 18-04-03, 18:09
Vets_Dottir

Thumbs up WOW ART... What a WONDERFUL PHOTO !!!

ART;

That PHOTO is a real TREASURE! I love it. Thanks for showing it to me

Carman
Old 18-04-03, 19:34
RIP

Default Geez ART!!

Is that goodlooking debanair guy you??Lady killer.Too bad I don't have a scanner.I have a photo of moi with beard in full dress taunting a couple of lady pipers before a gig at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel here aux Montreal.

By the way,who's the goodlooking lady,you cad.
Old 18-04-03, 21:37
Art Johnson

Default Good looking lady

Garry the good looking lady is one of the officer's sister. Her family has been associated with the Regiment since day one. One of her brothers was killed in Italy with the 48th. An uncle was captured at St. Julien during WW I. It was strictly a publicity photo, I just happened to be on duty and close at hand.
Old 19-04-03, 23:47
Vets_Dottir

Cool Re: The Kilt

Quote:
Originally posted by Art Johnson
Carman those of us that wear the kilt also have our lighter moments. This picture of yours truly and a young lady was published in the Toronto Star many years ago:

http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/pu...sp?id_=2230356
Gee ART, I just had to come back and have another look-see at that shexy soldier in the picture with the lass I think I'll dump my old Soldier Hero and pick you instead

HAPPY EASTER to YOU and CATHERINE Carman
Old 24-06-03, 09:18
Vets_Dottir

Question Re: Re: Carmen

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
You asked for it...

OKAY..... I "STILL" want to know who these guys are -and those 3 brothers STILL scare me....DEPENDS quick!
Old 20-01-04, 17:03
Vets Dottir

Default Reevival of a KEEPER thread!

this thread still kills me ... gawd ... just had to revive it to the top so the new folks don't over look it ... get rid of the grumpies

GEOFF ... this forum is a TOTAL gas! Priceless.
Old 23-01-04, 07:39
West Coaster

Default Hoots

V_D,

Acccchh! Lass. Wi' dear Robbies day a'commin, yerrr timin
is aye fine. An here jus in case ye canna geet the muckle thing, is a wee reminder o' whit ye'll be missin. An if ye'll no be missin then ye can spake in tounge!

Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!
Aboon them a' ye tak your place,
Painch, tripe, or thairm:
Weel are ye wordy of a grace
As lang's my arm.

The groaning trencher there ye fill,
Your hurdies like a distant hill,
Your pin wad help to mend a mill
In time o' need,
While thro' your pores the dews distil
Like amber bead.

His knife see rustic Labour dight,
An' cut you up wi' ready sleight,
Trenching your gushing entrails bright
Like onie ditch;
And then, O what a glorious sight,
Warm-reekin, rich!

Then, horn for horn, they strech an' strive:
Deil tak the hindmost! on they drive,
Till a' their weel-swall'd kytes belyve,
Are bent like drums;
Then auld Guidman, maist like to rive,
'Bethanket!' hums.

Is there that owre his French ragout
Or olio that wad staw a sow,
Or fricassee wad mak her spew
Wi' perfect sconner,
Looks down wi' sneering, scornfu' view
On sic a dinner?

Poor devil! see him owre his trash,
As feckless as a wither'd rash,
His spindle shank, a guid whip-lash,
His nieve a nit;
Thro' bluidy flood or field to dash,
O how unfit!

But mark the Rustic, haggis-fed,
The trembling earth resounds his tread.
Clap in his walie nieve a blade,
He'll make it whissle;
An' legs, an' arms, an' heads will sned,
Like taps o' thrissle.

Ye Pow'rs wha mak mankind your care,
And dish them out their bill o'fare,
Auld Scotland wants nae skinking ware
That jaups in luggies;
But, if ye wish her gratefu' prayer,
Gie her a Haggis!

Noo. Sinclair hae ye gate that?

JD
Old 21-05-04, 10:56
Vets Dottir

Default Geneologist wife???????????????

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveCox
I'm married to a genealogist - I used to think I was a mongrel, now I Know I'm related to almost everybody in the western world!!!!!!!!!!!! goooddddiiiiieeee lots of friends.
Hey Dave, I'm having my usual insomniac moments again ... sleep ahalf hour up for 3 sort of thing ... anywise, was reading through old threads and spotted this post of yours ...

Would your geneologist wife happn to know a good link for me to try trace my GGG Grandfather JOHN JAMES SMITH who arrived here from Westminster, London England age 17 about 1809 ... signed on with the Hudsons Bay Company ... arrived FROM Westminster.

Am trying to trace where he was born, parents etc. and have been hitting dead ends, not knowing where to search ... any help or hints, I would SO appreciate it.

The bonus out of this post? I've just revived a great thread with many laughs
Old 21-05-04, 11:22
Commonwealth NOT Europe

Carmen, we'll have a look later today and see what we can come up with.

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)
Old 19-06-04, 22:27
Hilary

Smile

Hello,
Wow he`s a cute one alright , but personally I prefer my hairy border collie
Hilary.
Old 19-06-04, 23:57

Default Hairy border collies

Your hairy border collie is probably better behaved and most certainly is house-broken. By the way, does your dog herd children in off minutes? I go every year to the Scottish games in Fair Hill, Maryland. There is a fellow who brings a few sheep and his collies. One "works" while the others wish they were. Every now and again, one of the resters will try to round up small children as they watch the proceedings. I seem to remember reading about a grade school teacher in the Scottish Higlands whose "teaching assistant" was her border collie.

Bob
Old 20-06-04, 11:06
Hilary

Default Re: Hairy border collies

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Potter
Your hairy border collie is probably better behaved and most certainly is house-broken. By the way, does your dog herd children in off minutes? I go every year to the Scottish games in Fair Hill, Maryland. There is a fellow who brings a few sheep and his collies. One "works" while the others wish they were. Every now and again, one of the resters will try to round up small children as they watch the proceedings. I seem to remember reading about a grade school teacher in the Scottish Higlands whose "teaching assistant" was her border collie.

Bob
Old 20-06-04, 11:18
Hilary

Default Them der Border Collies :)

Hi Bob,

Nice to meet you, does my collie try to herd? just a bit and they all slink around if you know what I mean we got "Boy" from a working farm in Workington in Cumbria, and in case your thinking Boy wasnt very imaginitive for a name: ahhh but he was named after his dad who was 16yrs old still working and a real strapping dog, so I guess you could say that earned Respect

He is now 13yrs old and still going strong, a chip off the old block for sure, you see Bob he is just a pup at heart, and theres no better show to see then "One man and his Dog" working the sheep eh?

Bye for now,
Hilary
Old 21-06-04, 23:03

Default Cumbria??

How far are you from Carlisle? I have family friends who live in Dumfriesshire across the border. I spent some time in Carlisle and along Hadrian's Wall. Lovely country, wonderful people. I found it amusing that I liked your Carlisle, as I went to college in pennsylvania in asmall town called Carlisle. Liked it too.

Give Boy a pat on the head for me.

Cheers

Bob
Old 05-01-08, 09:46
Vets Dottir 2nd

Default Re: Geoff.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Dana Nield
The lass wur looken fer Scots, nah Swalhili tribesmen!
I still crack up when I read Dana's comment here

This thread still a great early one!

BTW ... whatever became of ... DANA?