MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 20-03-08, 09:40
Vets Dottir 2nd

Default Crap.

The other tenants boyfriend who stays in the apartment other side of the wall from me shot himself tonight. The woman RCMP Officer told me it looked consistant with suicide/him shooting himself when I asked her "How do you know he shot HIMSELF". She didn't know if he survived/will survive or not.

I'm frazzled as I react and think about it all after the fact and what it all means or could have meant. All sorts of thoughts pop into my head, like the womans daughter and granddaughter staying just below that apartment and me this side of the wall, and don't bullets go through walls and floors. Mind racing here.

This is absolutely insane that there was a loaded gun in the apartment next to me in the hands of people who abuse alcohol, have physically violent and emotional tempers and topss each other about sometimes etc .......... good lord. This is crazy here.

Ma
Old 20-03-08, 09:44
Vets Dottir 2nd

BTW ... almost an hour before the woman Officer knocked on my door, someone else knocked on my door but I don't answer my door late at night. That was about 10 pm. I don't know who was knocking at my door but am very glad I didn't answer. The RCMP woman had to be persistant before I peeked out my wondow to see a flashlight and then peeked out my door to see her pants, THEN I opened the door telling her she scared the crap out of me as to who might be at my door that time of night and that I usually never answer.

This is all just too much scarey and insane behaviors around here for me.
Old 20-03-08, 12:36
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vets Dottir 2nd View Post
BTW ... almost an hour before the woman Officer knocked on my door, someone else knocked on my door but I don't answer my door late at night. That was about 10 pm. I don't know who was knocking at my door but am very glad I didn't answer. The RCMP woman had to be persistant before I peeked out my wondow to see a flashlight and then peeked out my door to see her pants, THEN I opened the door telling her she scared the crap out of me as to who might be at my door that time of night and that I usually never answer.

This is all just too much scarey and insane behaviors around here for me.
Hi ma..
On the positive side of your adventure,peace and quiet will probably be a little more achievable now..be carefull what you wish for..
Old 20-03-08, 13:19
Vets Dottir 2nd

In this sad situation its not how I'd like peace and quiet to come no matter how much I'd like to be anywhere but around the behaviors that have been happening and causing problems for the rest of us and would like to see them moved out. I have no update as to whether he survived or not. Its still only 5:00 am or so here. I really know very little details and couldn't give much info to the RCMP Officer but gave enough to satisfy her I guess.

I just wonder how the hell a gun could go off in this house in another apartment and me not notice the different sound and KNOW it was a gun shot???? very strange? No? Yes? though there was a lot of loud banging off and on. I think what I thought was a very hard slammed bedroom window in their apartment may have been the big bang of the gun, in thinking back. I dunno. Normal to hear loud sounds/bangs/bumps etc from there sometimes so didn't think much about it. There was a lot of people and activities and loudness off and on throughout the day and evening over there so it just sort of blended in for me I guess.

Ma
Old 20-03-08, 15:11

Wink

Quote:
In this sad situation its not how I'd like peace and quiet to come no matter how much I'd like to be anywhere but around the behaviors that have been happening and causing problems for the rest of us and would like to see them moved out. I have no update as to whether he survived or not. Its still only 5:00 am or so here. I really know very little details and couldn't give much info to the RCMP Officer but gave enough to satisfy her I guess.

I just wonder how the hell a gun could go off in this house in another apartment and me not notice the different sound and KNOW it was a gun shot???? very strange? No? Yes? though there was a lot of loud banging off and on. I think what I thought was a very hard slammed bedroom window in their apartment may have been the big bang of the gun, in thinking back. I dunno. Normal to hear loud sounds/bangs/bumps etc from there sometimes so didn't think much about it. There was a lot of people and activities and loudness off and on throughout the day and evening over there so it just sort of blended in for me I guess.

Ma
Ma ..
It depends on the situation and method used when the gun is fired..
Noise comes from the explosion of powder AND the speed of the bullet breaking the sound barrier,much like a jet that makes a "sonic boom" when it breaks the sound barrier..
If the gun is fired when it is held against the body,there is only the bullet explosion sound and the "sonic boom" does not occur ,as the bullet must pass through an air space..
So although there will be noise it may be muffled or reduced ,and it depends what calibre of gun is used..
A .22 short is sub sonic and is quite quiet when muffled,but will kill you just as dead as a larger bullet..but usually when one decides to commit sewer pipe with a gun,noise is the least of there worries..
Old 20-03-08, 15:53
Vets Dottir 2nd

My only real experience with hearing guns go off, that I can recall, is when I was a teenager out deerhunting with my fiance and foster brother, and then that was a rifle shot with the long drawn out sound. I've called cops a couple of times in past to report what I thought were gunshots, they sounded like the drawn out sounds hunting rifle shots but who knows, coulda been backfires? Never really thought about "distance" and differences that would make as to sound (why would that occur to me?) so thanks for pointing that out to me. Makes total sense to me.

You know, I've just been assuming the guy used a handgun. A rifle never occurred to me, but someone asked me what kind of gun was used, rifle or hand, but I don't know. I know zip about guns except there are rifles and handguns and what I call soldiers guns like now of course, thanks to MLU edumacation I can name bren guns and sten guns etc (makes me miss Rupert!!!) but I still don't know what they sound like in real life. TV shots is about all I have to compare things to and I'm sure the sounds are really different in real time.

All joking aside, this sucks here.

Ma
Old 20-03-08, 16:00
Vets Dottir 2nd

BTW when you say 22 short, I think of 22's as rifles ... so you're talking a rifle, correct? By "short" do you mean the nozzle end is short like a hand gun nozzle? (why do I even ask, geez)
Old 20-03-08, 16:05
Derek Heuring

Quote:
My only real experience with hearing guns go off, that I can recall, is when I was a teenager out deerhunting with my fiance and foster brother, and then that was a rifle shot with the long drawn out sound. I've called cops a couple of times in past to report what I thought were gunshots, they sounded like the drawn out sounds hunting rifle shots but who knows, coulda been backfires? Never really thought about "distance" and differences that would make as to sound (why would that occur to me?) so thanks for pointing that out to me. Makes total sense to me.

You know, I've just been assuming the guy used a handgun. A rifle never occurred to me, but someone asked me what kind of gun was used, rifle or hand, but I don't know. I know zip about guns except there are rifles and handguns and what I call soldiers guns like now of course, thanks to MLU edumacation I can name bren guns and sten guns etc (makes me miss Rupert!!!) but I still don't know what they sound like in real life. TV shots is about all I have to compare things to and I'm sure the sounds are really different in real time.

All joking aside, this sucks here.

Ma
Ma, I'm so sorry to hear what happened in the apartment next to you, it must be tremendously distressing. My hope is that with the boyfriend gone to meet his maker, things will quiet doen for you, although they will never be the same again. Derek.
Old 20-03-08, 16:19
Vets Dottir 2nd

Thanks Derek, and yeah, I'm really sorry too, and yeah again, extremely distressing to me. I don't know if he passed away but judging by the woman Officers response when I asked her, I got the impression that it was pretty severe damage and iffy. Won't know anything until I get an update and I'm not about to go in search of updates. Am sure my landlord will call me and fill me in later. He's pretty upset about this stuff happening here too.

BTW, the guy is the pleasanter quieter one though explosive and obnoxious at times. Very quiet and pretty good around here when just him at home usually. If I had to choose, I would choose him as the neighbor over the woman any day.
Old 20-03-08, 16:25
Derek Heuring

Quote:
BTW when you say 22 short, I think of 22's as rifles ... so you're talking a rifle, correct? By "short" do you mean the nozzle end is short like a hand gun nozzle? (why do I even ask, geez)

Ma, learning cartridge designations is like learning a new language, in fact, it's a school unto itself. I've been a devoted student of firearms for decades and I now proudly declare myself a One Percenter. That is, I now know 1 percent of all the firearms knowledge there is in the world, which is about 10,000 times more than what the average citizen knows. Anyone who tells you they know more than that has either been at it a whole lot longer than I, or they truly don't understand the breadth of the subject.

When Alex mentioned .22 Short, he was referring to a cartridge, not a firearm, one of the many .22 Rimfires available. A few others are: BB cap, CB cap, CB Long, .22 Short, .22 Long, .22 Long Rifle, .22 Magnum Rimfire, .22 Shotshell, .22 Auto, ....see what I mean.
As for not hearing the shot itself, that is entirely understandable. There are many cartridges where the bullet doesn't exceed the speed of sound (approx. 1100f/sec.) so the only noise you could have heard would have been the muzzle blast. A barrel placed tightly against clothing would have been muffled enough to blend into the background noise you so often heard from next door. Once again, you have my sympathy for the goings on next door. Derek.
Old 20-03-08, 16:32

Quote:

Ma

Read this..It is pretty well laid out..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Short
Old 20-03-08, 16:34
Vets Dottir 2nd

Hey thanks Alex and Derek for the guns and cartridges 101. Some things a woman just don't wanna learn, but hey, learn she does

I wanna toss my cookies about now. Just was out my door for a minute and see bedding draped over the neighbors railing and blood stained cloths tossed on our walkway that weren't there last night. I hope landlord stops by and makes her get rid of that stuff properly instead of tossing it in the walkway like she often tosses her garbage and leaves it there blocking the way for everyone else until she gets motivated to take a trip to the garbage cans. Screw the neighbors is the usual way but this blood stained stuff is a bit too far ...........

Sorry, am very cranky right now after seeing that and fed up. Bad mood Ma (this too shall pass)
Old 20-03-08, 16:36
Vets Dottir 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Blair View Post
Ma

Read this..It is pretty well laid out..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Short

Okay. Cool. A pictures worth a thousand words! Works for me Alex, thanks, I get the picture now
Old 20-03-08, 22:23
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
I wanna toss my cookies about now. Just was out my door for a minute and see bedding draped over the neighbors railing and blood stained cloths tossed on our walkway that weren't there last night. I hope landlord stops by and makes her get rid of that stuff properly instead of tossing it in the walkway like she often tosses her garbage and leaves it there blocking the way for everyone else until she gets motivated to take a trip to the garbage cans. Screw the neighbors is the usual way but this blood stained stuff is a bit too far ...........
That's a potential bio-hazard. Call the cops and ask them what to do about it if the stuff is still there.
Old 21-03-08, 03:16
Vets Dottir 2nd

The "bio hazard" was gone when I went out earlier to check mail and am glad they aren't tossed into my garbage can!

Haven't heard any updates from anyone but my neighbor across the street said ambulance, big old firetruck, etc, including someone with a TV camera filming the stretcher being taken to the ambulance, happened about 8:30 ish pm. So this happened hours before I had any idea it had or the whoever it was knocked on my door at 10:00 pm or the policewoman at 11:00. Amazing. All the action was at the front of the house though and I wouldn't know unless I am outside to see or noise types unusual.

Sigh.
Old 21-03-08, 05:05
Vets Dottir 2nd

Well. RCMP Officer was just here looking for landlord and he updated me while here. The guy didn't survive ... he used a 22.
Old 21-03-08, 14:08
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Well. RCMP Officer was just here looking for landlord and he updated me while here. The guy didn't survive ... he used a 22.
Which is why you didn't hear it... a .22 pressed to the head for a single shot would emit virtually no noise at all.
Old 21-03-08, 16:19
Vets Dottir 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball View Post
Which is why you didn't hear it... a .22 pressed to the head for a single shot would emit virtually no noise at all.

The RCMP guy basically mentioned something like that, and that he wasn't surprized I didn't notice the shot because it was a 22. I'd exclaimed that I was so blown away that I didn't hear/register something as loud as a gunshot in the house.
Old 21-03-08, 18:08
RIP

Quote:

This is absolutely insane that there was a loaded gun in the apartment next to me in the hands of people who abuse alcohol, have physically violent and emotional tempers and topss each other about sometimes etc ......

Ma
I don't want to preach to the masses here but responsible gun-owners are well served when idiots like this are reported to the police (that's assuming you know he/she owns a gun). The Firearms Centre mainatains a phone line to report gun issues like this. If more people would drop a dime on these idiots we would have fewer Dawson's and the responsible gunowner would benefit by not being lumped in with these ass-holes. Call 1-800-731-4000 and listen for the prompt that brings you to the Public Safety extension.
Old 22-03-08, 06:21
Vets Dottir 2nd

I had no idea any guns were in their apartment, whether hunting or hand, and had I known, with my experience of their explosive physical violence ways when upset and how they threaten each other etc, I would have been extremely upset to know. Very dysfunctional over there and tragedy bound to happen eventually. My first thought when the woman RCMP officer said he shot himself was that he didn't, but she said it all looked and was consistant with him shooting himself. I know it could as easily been the other way if domestic dispute and violence were happening. They just "lose it" with each other sometimes.

I agree, people whose ways and lives are run like that have no biz having guns because they likely will use them violently sometime, usually against someone else though.
Old 22-03-08, 14:38
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
I don't want to preach to the masses here but responsible gun-owners are well served when idiots like this are reported to the police (that's assuming you know he/she owns a gun). The Firearms Centre mainatains a phone line to report gun issues like this. If more people would drop a dime on these idiots we would have fewer Dawson's and the responsible gunowner would benefit by not being lumped in with these ass-holes. Call 1-800-731-4000 and listen for the prompt that brings you to the Public Safety extension.
Good advice, the sooner we lock up the crazies and KEEP them locked up the better off we all will be. Domestic violence is a serious issue and I hope a physical search for weapons is made every time police are called to a dispute. I say physical because, of course, unregistered guns won't show up on the computer. Police in Canada now routinely ask women whether they have any opposition to their ex-spouse renewing their F.A.C. (I believe y'all call it a P.A.L. now). I was dismayed to hear of this requirement after my divorce because ESoS (Evil Spawn of Satan), otherwise known as my ex-wife revelled in the glory of creating grief for me. Fortunately, I was very well known both to the Firearm's Community and RCMP in Langley and after warnings about uttering false statements, ESoS admitted she had no REAL opposition to renewing of my FAC/PAL.
However, I can already hear the harrumphing of Liberal politicians in Ottawa as they queue for the mike on the floor of the House of Commons to decry the lax gun laws in Canada which allow such tragedies as the one in Cranbrook. I'm sorry Ma, am I rambling? None of this is meant to take away from what you must be experiencing, I just hope that now things will settle down next door and peace will once again reign. Derek.
Old 22-03-08, 16:46
Vets Dottir 2nd

What is FAC/PAL? I'm assuming the first part of FAC is fire arms???

Pretty quiet around here as I'm the only one in the house since the afternoon after this happened when I'm sure everyone knew by then he had passed away. The womans daughter and kid who were staying downstairs (while waiting to move into their house) have not been back to spend time or nights there since they found out what happened.

The less aggressive and more peaceful one from that apartment is no longer with us so the quiet and uneventfulness may be short lived until she comes home and things will be same old same old scenarios I'm sure. Haven't talked to the landlord since the night it happened and next time we talk or get together we will be talking about a lot regards the situations in this house and about actually doing something, unpleasant as it is.

Ma
Old 22-03-08, 17:17
Derek Heuring

Quote:
What is FAC/PAL? I'm assuming the first part of FAC is fire arms???

Ma
The Firearms Acquisition Certificate was replaced around the turn of the century by the Possession and Acquistion Licence. Derek.
Old 22-03-08, 19:18
Vets Dottir 2nd

Thanks Derek

BTW ... have just been chatting with a neighbor from the next house over and was told that my landlord told them yesterday what happened her, and the good news that I hope is true, that the woman/tenant has been told she has to move out so she is moving out ... please let this be true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! And let landlord actually screen and be careful about who he rents to this time. PLEASE!!!!

Ma
Old 23-03-08, 22:10

Default crap

Sorry to hear of your recent trauma Vets. Having spent 30 yrs in the Police in New Zealand we attended a number of incidents like that. Funny thing is we have firearms everywhere in this country but like most states in Australia there are strict procedures over licences. e.g. the spouse of a near relative is interviewed about you and your house inspected before a licence is issued.

Hope you have a quieter life now

regards

Rookie
Old 24-03-08, 05:07
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Thanks Derek

BTW ... have just been chatting with a neighbor from the next house over and was told that my landlord told them yesterday what happened her, and the good news that I hope is true, that the woman/tenant has been told she has to move out so she is moving out ... please let this be true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! And let landlord actually screen and be careful about who he rents to this time. PLEASE!!!!

Ma
Yappy:

Two points:

1. Quit yer bitchin'. Be thankful you don't live in Toronto where what you described is almost an hourly occurrence.

2. You sound like you were taken aback upon finding out that there were firearms next door.

Well,last time you visited my place, you slept well even though you knew, and were shown, the "toys" which I legally own. Matter of fact, didn't I casually excuse myself, go outside and shoot a pesky squirrel?
Old 24-03-08, 05:58
Vets Dottir 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Skagfeld View Post
Yappy:

Two points:

1. Quit yer bitchin'. Be thankful you don't live in Toronto where what you described is almost an hourly occurrence.
Ok. And I am thankful I don't live in Toronto.

Quote:
2. You sound like you were taken aback upon finding out that there were firearms next door.
Only taken aback by WHO had the gun - guns - people into explosive violent rages against others when pissed off or frustrated (even for little frustrations)as a normal way of coping. Rage-aholics I think is the trendy term. Serious domestic assault/violence, generally drunkenness involved, has happened there a number of times requiring police to come. Police also visited them in past searching for an acquaintance of theirs who was on the run, a "bad dude", I think for murder.

Quote:
Well,last time you visited my place, you slept well even though you knew, and were shown, the "toys" which I legally own. Matter of fact, didn't I casually excuse myself, go outside and shoot a pesky squirrel?
Yuk. I forgot about the squirrel, but remembered about the bird Thanks for the memories

Jon, apples and oranges here. You aren't like them. Big difference in who owns the gun and how they will use them. Guns not my issue, guns in the hands of people like this are. These are the kinds of people who make it hard for people like you, responsible gun owners, because when they lose it and shit happens because they used it violently against others in rage or to do a crime, so many people get in an uproar about banning all guns in an all-or-nothing paranoid action etc. I'm still surprized (and relieved) to know this at least was a suicide, not a murder, as was my immediate thought when the police told me what happened.

Apples and oranges.
Old 24-03-08, 06:46
Vets Dottir 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie View Post
Sorry to hear of your recent trauma Vets. Having spent 30 yrs in the Police in New Zealand we attended a number of incidents like that. Funny thing is we have firearms everywhere in this country but like most states in Australia there are strict procedures over licences. e.g. the spouse of a near relative is interviewed about you and your house inspected before a licence is issued.

Hope you have a quieter life now

regards

Rookie
Thanks Rookie.
Old 29-03-08, 23:18
Vets Dottir 2nd

Oh well. Such is life I guess. It was only a "rumor" that landlord asked the other tenant to move. She's staying and has bought herself a new bed (bed where suicide happened)
So my neighbors will remain my neighbors and all that they are and do. Am not happy but it is what it is. Landlord always says "one more thing and she's out" or along those lines. He's "soft".

Ma.