MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 22-11-21, 00:02

Default WW2 Canvas Material

Was there a standard weight of canvas used with Commonwealth military equipment, or did the weight vary with intended use?

I know there is a difference between standard canvas and canvas duck, where the canvas duck has the same weave pattern in both directions, making it stronger and more tear resistant, and heavier weights would wear better than lighter.

The Waterproof Curtain used on the front of the Wireless Set No. 52 is canvas duck and according to the Parts Lists was Olive Green, which is a lot lighter than Olive Drab, but no weight reference is provided. It is unlikely it would be the heaviest weight as used on a CMP cargo tarp and I am thinking possibly a weight close to seat cover weight, or slightly heavier.

Were weight reference charts for canvas products ever produced, I wonder?

David
Old 22-11-21, 01:23
carrier mech

I always see the canvas described as cotton duck when I am ordering it through the supply system. Here is a chart from Wikopedia:
Number duck classifications per linear yard, 22 inches wide Numbered duck is nominally made in weights from 1 to 12, but numbers 7, 9, and 11 are no longer used. Some typical uses of various grades (with weights in ounces) are:[1]
  • No. 1 (18 oz): hammocks, cots, sandbags
  • No. 2 (17 oz): hatch paulins
  • No. 3 (16 oz): heavy-duty bags
  • No. 4 (15 oz): sea bags
  • No. 5 (14 oz): heavy work clothes
  • No. 6 (13 oz): large boat covers, heavy work clothes
  • No. 8 (11 oz): work clothes, clothes bags
  • No. 10 (9 oz): work clothes, shower curtains
  • No. 12 (7 oz): light clothes
Number duck classifications per square yard There is often confusion when it comes to matching up weights and the correct number duck classification. The table below accurately represents the weight and number duck classification[5] per square yard instead of linear yard 22 inches wide.
  • No. 1 (30 oz/sq yd or 1,000 g/m2): floor & wall covering, sound absorption, equipment covers, heavy bags, horse packs, storage bins
  • No. 2 (28 oz/sq yd or 950 g/m2): hatch paulins
  • No. 3 (26 oz/sq yd or 880 g/m2): sea bags
  • No. 4 (24 oz/sq yd or 810 g/m2): heavy-duty work clothes, hammocks, sand bags, director chairs, place mats, belting
  • No. 5 (23 oz/sq yd or 780 g/m2): heavy work clothes
  • No. 6 (21 oz/sq yd or 710 g/m2): utility bags, place mats, belting
  • No. 8 (18 oz/sq yd or 610 g/m2): backpacks, painted floor cloths, tents, tarps, awnings, work clothes, clothes bags
  • No. 10 (14.75 oz/sq yd or 500 g/m2): artist canvas, murals, shower curtains, painted floor cloths, hammocks, clothes
  • No. 12 (11.5 oz/sq yd or 390 g/m2): stretched artist canvas, furniture slip covers, light clothes
Often the NSN description will include the term "cotton duck no. X" with X being the classification.
Old 22-11-21, 01:40
GM Fox I

Dave, I'll compare my 52 set cover to a CMP seat and let you know. The problem with Canadian canvas is that even if you find the right weight and weave you can't get the right colour. Dying waterproofed canvas is apparently not a thing.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF9454.JPG  
Old 22-11-21, 03:24

Rob.

Thank you for taking the time to post that information. It is VERY helpful!

Bruce.

I would appreciate that. You are right, I cannot match the colour I need in Canada it seems, with a practical quantity of correct canvas duck, so am likely going to get pushed south of the border to get that matched up properly.

So far, the steel bar for the curtain is the only thing I can source locally.

David
Old 22-11-21, 04:07
carrier mech

I have bought canvas at a Winnipeg fabric shop in neutral colour and dyed it with off the shelf dye to get a very close match to the 37 pattern colour. I think it was from Mitchells fabric in downtown Winnipeg, but I'm sure other shops carry it.
Old 22-11-21, 14:06
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
So far, the steel bar for the curtain is the only thing I can source locally
I dunno....it's a magnetium cupro-plantasium alloy stamped out of a non-plusular circumgated sheet. Not easy to replicate today....
Old 22-11-21, 15:01
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
I have bought canvas at a Winnipeg fabric shop in neutral colour and dyed it with off the shelf dye to get a very close match to the 37 pattern colour. I think it was from Mitchells fabric in downtown Winnipeg, but I'm sure other shops carry it.
There is an extensive website on the colours and restoration of 37 Patt webbing, Blanco and Bull, which features a page on how to make modern day dyes that closely replicate the WW2 shades https://www.blancoandbull.com/repro-...-cream-method/ Although it improves the condition and waterproofness of the canvas, this looks time consuming for a piece of webbing. I'd hate to try doing a Truck Tarp!
Old 22-11-21, 16:10
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Canvas

Good luck if you need 100 percent cotton canvas. It's nigh on impossible to find around here . The modern stuff has synthetic fibres in it and has a much finer weave . Readers will laugh but Aldi sells canvas drop sheets that have a vintage coarse weave and the Aldi sheets are a plain undyed cotton which looks more authentic.
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad